• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Health advisory: Rubber straps / cancer risk

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
I'd quickly like to outline a possible danger of replica rubber straps and point out a solution of how to be on the safe side.

Our watches come from China and as we know since the days of lead paint and toxic milk, some producers would do anything to reduce cost. This also applies to the production of rubber straps.

Owners of replica watches may have noticed a certain smell that causes headaches with some people. This smell stems from plasticisers, very likely polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAH) which are known to cause cancer and alter genetic material. In short: PAHs can affect your capability to reproduce. The adverse effect of PAHs have been proven in animal studies. The manufacturer could use non-toxic solvents but this is more costly for them.

Rule of thumb: If it is black AND soft AND inexpensive -> very good chance of PAHs.

I lack the correct english terms, but please be aware that the plasticizers dissolve on contact with your skin. Sweat, hand lotion or greasy cosmetics will enhance the effect. PAHs are released through the skin into the body. So don't wear "smelly" rubber straps right away.

A good solution would be to put the rubber strap into a warm, well vented room and let them rest for a week or so until they stop to smell. The heat causes the PAHs to diffuse quicker (accelerated Brownian movement of the molecules). Some report to have used a hair dryer set to medium heat - I never did this. Please be aware that a single molecule may suffice to damage your genoms and terminate your reproduction career. So please ventilate that rubber strap until it stops smelling.

Disclaimer: Please take into consideration that I am from Germany - we tend to be a lot more "green" and scared than the rest of the world.

Thank you for reading this.

Dr.Verylong

Edit: Don't cook your rubber bands. It will make them porous.

Spirit

Rolex Connoisseur
25/8/06

Thanks for the heads up, DocVL :)
...That´s some useful info for all replica lovers here.

On a curious side, wouldn´t "cook" the rubber strap in water, help a bit too? There must be some materials/detergents or any other solution that helps or neutralize these plasticizers too...

Cheers,
Spirit.

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Spirit, I am no rubber expert - I don't know. My impression is that the material would suffer from this "premature aging".

I just put smelly rubber in the room where we have our heating for the house. It is warm there and well vented. After a week or so the smell is gone and then you can handle the stuff.

Actually if you go into hardware stores you may find the PAHs in any tools that are soft and black: Hammer handles (tool handles in general), extension cords, window wipers ...

Rule of thumb: Inexpensive, black, soft -> PAHs.

Dr.Verylong

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
good advise, so what do I do with all my vanilla smelling rubber straps? I just smelled them and the smell is almost gone. It would also be too late, So if I am dead in a few years means that the Chinese killed me.

polaris

27/11/08
PAHs are not uncommon. Processed fossil fuels, some edible oils, cereals, fats contain PAH. They are formed during incomplete combustion of carbon fuels like oil, wood, incense and fat.

There are varying degrees of toxicity depending on the isomer.
Wiki ...[The EPA has classified seven PAH compounds as probable human carcinogens: benz[a]anthracene, benzo[a]pyrene, benzofluoranthene, benzo[k]fluoranthene, chrysene, dibenz[a,h]anthracene, and indeno[1,2,3-cd]pyrene]

Maybe the cheap rubber smell is carcinogenic. But I doubt any more so than the new car smell... and I love that concoction of gases. there is evidence that it takes 3 years for gases emitted by new vehicles to remain permanently below daily health limits. Everything in life is toxic, everytime you smell technology its killing you. sunscreen has preservatives that are carcinogenic... evvvveerythiiing, so yeah give it a day to air, but a stinky strap is prob the least of our worries :err:

1_robbo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/11/08
Very good post, this is also typical of the very cheap plastic toys you find in pound shops which are aimed at children !
Awful stuff and should be banned.

HR911

Renowned Member
27/8/09
UK
I wonder if this is a huge co-incidence, but I've been wearing my new Graham Swordfish for the first time this week, and I have been getting bad headaches (The Graham has a rubber strap)

I will be washing the strap, FIRST thing tonight.......very worrying post

pcsam

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
22/3/09
doctor I cant get my pecker up ................................ but I got a nice watch last week wanna see it .........................

if we stopped eating all the food that was bad for us we would all die of starvation >?

JellyJoe

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/09
Thanks for the interesting thread. I suppose safety is never in excess.
;)

good advise, so what do I do with all my vanilla smelling rubber straps? I just smelled them and the smell is almost gone. It would also be too late, So if I am dead in a few years means that the Chinese killed me.

lawl

jvd45

6/9/09
Thank you for a timely warning Dr. Digested this with interest, having switched over to phthalate-free skincare a couple of years ago. It might have been too late adn I'd never know but I wasnt happy continuing to use these products on my skin.

@guru.. maybe a gen strap on the list for that franken? ;) ... unless SS/ ceramic
@jelly, better check your sex toys are compliant mate! :p

Dr.Verylong

Legendary Member
Advisor
2/8/09
Good move, jvd45! Not too many people that I know have made the move. There is no / not enough pressure yet from the consumers, sadly.

I am not trying to tell anyone what to do or not - you are all grown up. It is just that PAH is dangerous, should be illegal to use.

However, we are dealing with illegal products, too. And the manufacturer of those illegal products just don't give a hoot - they want to save money so they can reap the profits and nobody can complain because it is illegal anyway.

BTW cooking rubber bands makes them porous. Best thing is: Let them lie for a few days and and doggy-walk your SS bracelet in the mean time.

Thank you,
Dr.Verylong

1_robbo

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/11/08
For anyone using a rubber stap......maybe this is the answer .... for the time being anyway.

flavor-flav-red-carpet.jpg

Pix

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Advisor
Certified
22/12/06
FR
That's an important point you raised.
Actually anything in this illegal business can be raised : the paints and varnishes they use, and also any of the "leather" straps... Not with the PAH, but surely with other harmful substances.
That is a dangerous hobby :)

jvd45

6/9/09
Good move, jvd45! Not too many people that I know have made the move. There is no / not enough pressure yet from the consumers, sadly.

I am not trying to tell anyone what to do or not - you are all grown up. It is just that PAH is dangerous, should be illegal to use.

However, we are dealing with illegal products, too.

Thank you Dr. ! I am taking your caution very seriously since even many off the shelf legal products have them....Even mens fragrances, toothpaste, etc. ...

btw, this is the site (it looks new now but has been around for aages~) that fuelled my neurosis. fwiw, I didn't buy the lowest scoring (safest) ones because I dont want my behaviour modified too much,.. I just avoided most of the dangerous ones.. my missus uses pthalate free, paraben free, aluminium free whatever if ever at all.. less is more.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/browse.php?category=formen

frenzalrhomb

Known Member
2/8/08
Thanks Dr that's definately something to be aware of I'll certainly be letting them 'breath' from now on.

levelmanroger

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
1/10/08
Texas
Good info and certainly something we should all be aware of - not just with cheap rubber straps, but cheap leather ones as well.
I truly appreciate you bringing this to our attention.

pilworx

alien member
8/2/09
i guess the new line of penis watches from Hont with the rubber straps are a no go.
;0