• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

If anyone asks about my watch - I always tell them its not real

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
giphy.gif

He is trying to outsmart you with fancy words.

Katarsis

I'm Pretty Popular
2/7/18
Kattegatt
OT

I printed t-shirts that says: my watch is fake.
On more formal occasions I wear a smaller name tag with the same message.

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
So the OP has the absolute p1ss taken out of him, and then we have tassles, fetish, printed t-shirts and name tags. I seriously did giggle through this thread!

For the OP: I have never been called out on my reps, or gens for that matter. I have been complimented. If someone were to ask if a rep were real. I would just tell them it's fake. The funny thing is, they would probably think I was joking and it was real anyway. But I don't give a flying fk what people think. And most people won't even be looking, let alone knowing the actual brands are apart from Rolex and maybe, just maybe, PP.

It has been said a zillion times before, just wear what you want, what you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable wearing a $750K rep RM then go for it. If you are comfortable wearing a $3K Omega rep, then go for it. If you have the money to go and buy a $10-20k rep, then go for it. To each their own.

I am 98% confident that 2% of something is not quite 100%...

Reactions: Phoenixboy

Phoenixboy

I'm Pretty Popular
30/5/19
Devon
These threads always make chuckle.
i have never been asked about any of my watches, reps or gens.
people are just not that interested!
Who the hell goes around asking if a complete strangers watch is rep or gen...
the small minority of people who may actually notice your watch are really not going to ask a stranger if its a rep.
most people have a life, and asking you if your watch is rep or gen just does not interest them enough to be bothered to ask....
Seriously, if random people are spotting your watch, i would consider moving...
If there asking if its gen, i would maybe move pretty quickly...;)

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
So the OP has the absolute p1ss taken out of him, and then we have tassles, fetish, printed t-shirts and name tags. I seriously did giggle through this thread!

For the OP: I have never been called out on my reps, or gens for that matter. I have been complimented. If someone were to ask if a rep were real. I would just tell them it's fake. The funny thing is, they would probably think I was joking and it was real anyway. But I don't give a flying fk what people think. And most people won't even be looking, let alone knowing the actual brands are apart from Rolex and maybe, just maybe, PP.

It has been said a zillion times before, just wear what you want, what you are comfortable with. If you are comfortable wearing a $750K rep RM then go for it. If you are comfortable wearing a $3K Omega rep, then go for it. If you have the money to go and buy a $10-20k rep, then go for it. To each their own.

I really agree with this. I've had a long career, travelled a bunch and have owned a get DateJust for a long time...(I think I'm well read, etc...) until a few months ago, I had never heard of an Aquanaut, Nautilus, or the various Omega models, etc. I had a vague understanding that there were some "big" Rolexes. I might have one friend that knows watches....so, at least in my circle no one is a watch person or cares what I wear.

I'm sure some retail people are more knowledgeable about fashion and watch trends, but not me. I'm a tech guy and know more about the Apple Watches and associated integrations (HomeKit, etc.) than I do about traditional watches, which I thought were dead and buried. Then I bumped into the Rep hobby and have been all in since then. I don't know if it's the norm or what, but i now know a lot more than I did a few months ago.

B12b12b12

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/14
Ha I don't feel like anyone has taken the piss out of me at all ; I have been collecting a long time and have started selling some of my collection over on RWG.cc .... I realised having spent about £10k on watches from perfect clones main ; that things had gone a bit too far :)
I love them all ; I don't monitor forums for thread duplication tbh ... just posted a genuine thought !

Friends family Work mates etc I would always tell the truth ..... I have seen people try and pass of terrible fake watches as gen and its not a good look ....

superdopefresh

I'm Pretty Popular
20/5/15
This is exactly what we discussed a few weeks ago here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/fo...at-your-watch-was-a-rep?p=9174338#post9174338

As I said in the previous topic: I don't understand why we should tell the truth if someone asks us. We spend all day in a forum, consulting reviews about replicas and trying to identify every last flaw so that future versions of the replica will be as similar as possible to the Gen watch. Why do we then tell everyone who asks that it's really a replica? Is it a question of honesty or insecurity?

Also, in my previous message I introduced the variable of the social environment in which you are. In my case, to say that the watch I wear is a Rep, when my boss wears a Vacheron Constantin Overseas, my colleagues wear Rolex, PAM, etc., and all of them Gen... It would be really frowned upon.

Too bad they are all wearing reps too lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20

All of you have referred to unknown people. Obviously no one who crosses the street, who is with you in a meeting, or who serves you coffee in a bar, is going to ask about the authenticity of your Rolex.

But what about your friends and family? I think that's the real question. Who do you tell that your watch is a Rep? All your close friends and family? In my case, I don't. I think it doesn't make sense to spend time and money creating the most perfect counterfeit watch possible, and then tell your entire inner circle that you have a replica on your wrist.

DiggerOfWatches

Gold Patron
Certified
4/7/19
Down Under
But what about your friends and family? I think that's the real question. Who do you tell that your watch is a Rep? All your close friends and family? In my case, I don't. I think it doesn't make sense to spend time and money creating the most perfect counterfeit watch possible, and then tell your entire inner circle that you have a replica on your wrist.

Entirely up to you of course. It isn't how I role, but hey, who am I to judge. Each to their own.
My father once asked me about a rep sub I had on. He asked if he could see the serial number (that is his way of saying it's fake) so I took it off and handed it to him, told him it was in the rehaut and showed him. He nodded and handed it back. Didn't say anymore. Later after a few beers he says to me "you wouldn't really pay thousands for a Rolex would you?" My reply "Nah not for a Rolex but I would for a Patek Phillipe" oh and we laughed and laughed...

Randzzz

16/9/10
I’m so wise. I chuckle sarcastically, and then I let everybody know I chuckled just so they’ll know how wise and experienced I am. My sarcastic chuckle guards me against any accusation that I’m new here, because it would be terrible if anybody thought that. Thanks.

B12b12b12

You're Saying I Can Sell?
2/2/14
Wot ? is that aimed at me ? I don't understand ! far too cryptic for me !

lucyg00se

Known Member
4/4/18
For anyone who quickly and openly tells people their watch is a rep, why do you care about flaws and modding? Juts wear an OOTB rep flaws blaring for the public to see. That way when you tell them it's a rep, they will say..oh yea ICHS it's a rep for sure. Why do people spend thousands on modding and franken to just say "oh it's a fake" ??? Then what's the point??? Don't give me BS about oh juts to appreciate the watch for what it is. Then you won't care about flaws or mods

Reactions: c_hall100

kavorca1

cosa nostra for life.
Supporter
12/5/20
SoCal
I wonder if op also tells people when he is wearing a gen watch...." Look i have on my real authentic genuine casio calculator watch"

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
You are living a lie.

I don't understand your point, honestly. You say I live a lie, yet you spend a lot of time and money studying Rep watches, buying the one with the fewest flaws, modifying it with Gen parts to make it as perfect as possible... And then, you simply prefer to tell your entire inner circle that your watch is a replica?

I usually read that no one will ask you about your watch. That's true, but as I said in my previous message, the question is whether you tell your inner circle the truth. What merit does it have that the waiter who pours me champagne or the driver of my Uber thinks I have a $9000 Rolex? The point is that your friends, co-workers, and others in your circle, associate you with that watch, that brand.

There are wonderful Seiko, with great aesthetics, high quality materials, and impeccable precision. If we buy Chinese watches, with a worse quality mechanism, it is because we are buying a brand, an image of ourselves.

We may think that I live a lie. Maybe it's true. Maybe we all live in a lie. But at least I try to be consistent with that lie.

EuroTime25

Lost Soul of Watches
Supporter
Certified
24/7/20
West USA
Of course you tell them its a replica when you rent a studio and drive a 1991 Honda Civic while you have a 500k watch collection. Lol 99% of people dont care or even know. 1% know watches and of that group 1% know details. Most people with gen watches cant really tell anymore because the replicas are extremly close. I dont even get to tell anyone if its real of fakr because no one cares. People think my DHGate Pam111 is real when the numbers are green hue, clearly not real but they dont know. P.S I did order a more closer model from the Trusted Dealers.