• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Has someone ever noticed that your watch was a Rep?

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19
Not for me. It's not financial impact, it's what value I ascribe to an object. Let's say I buy one $500 rep per month at negligible financial impact. That means I could alternatively buy a $5k Omega say every 10 months or a $10 Rolex every 20 months for an identical financial impact. But I absolutely would not, because $10k for a lump of steel for me is ridiculously overpriced.

For me to buy Gens like I buy reps, I'd have to be many, many, MANY multiples more wealthy, tens of millions lying around wealthy, where money no longer has value because to me, because otherwise, whilst money still has value, $5k plus for a lump of steel still seems silly to me.

I get you and I'm doing the same thing though 500USD each month for a rep is not that negligible for me so wouldn't wan't too that without selling one of them first.

But if the financial impact would be as small as for a rep I would buy a gen right away as I would still have funds to do those other things like invest, put some money towards home and so on.

It's mostly about money in - money out ratio that puts things into perspective.

FourthLetter

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/18
I show my friends my watches and I tell them that they are reps.I m enthusiastic in telling them about the rep world. They ask if they can get one and what price. I tell them the price of say, my pam187 which is $650.
Their jaws hit the ground followed by,
“ your f@&king mad, I Wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a fake watch”. “its not fake it’s...... never mind” It pretty much pans out like that 90% of the time.

If someone wouldn’t pay $650 for a watch, they wouldn’t pay $10k for one either.. Replica or not, thats just a excuse for them to justify not spending that kind of money period.

Rol.exe

17/8/20
New Zealand
I've just purchased my first rep, an RXF Submariner Date 116610LN but haven't received it yet so the answer is no.

However, I had a meeting in Tokyo and was interested in the other guy's watch. It was branded a Patek but the plating was peeling, the crown was roughly made and the face just looked cheap. He went into a story about his other business, how much money he had made etc. He even took it off and showed me. I guess he felt that his confidence overcame the piece's shortcomings. My guess is that he had picked it up from an Asian market while on holiday.

I'm very far from being a rep expert but have always appreciated fine timepieces. I'm amazed at the detail of high end reps and even more amazed at the level of detail some members on here go into. I don't know what I would say if I were ever asked. I'm on the ELT of my company, wear decent suits and drive a later model Jag so a $10k Rolex wouldn't be too out of place. I'm expecting people to think it's a fake as it's one of the most replicated watches. I could buy a gen but my bank account would certainly feel it. I bought it because I like it but not enough to fork out for a gen.

stufuse

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/10/17
UK
“ your f@&king mad, I Wouldn’t pay that kind of money for a fake watch”. “its not fake it’s...... never mind” It pretty much pans out like that 90% of the time.

Friends of mine said the same. Some a genuinely offended by it.

I”fake watches” I tell them the watches aren’t fake. They aren’t pretend watches that look like a watch but don’t work. They are real watches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: FourthLetter

Adam_Smith

Supporter
Certified
23/6/20
Another good point is, who do you tell the truth to? I mean, who knows the watch you're wearing is a Rep? Some people prefer to be honest and tell everyone that their watch is a Rep.

In my case, I only buy Rep watches that I could afford to buy Gen, and I save that valuable money, which I prefer to invest in my investment funds, in my retirement, in my house or in trips. But to all my colleagues and friends, if they ask me, I say that the watch is Gen. I interact with top executives, watch collectors and wealthy people, among whom wearing a replica is frowned upon.

What do you do? Do you tell everyone, your close friends, only your wife and family, or directly to no one?

What do you think about this? As I said before, I don't understand why we should tell the truth if someone asks us. We spend all day in a forum, consulting reviews about replicas and trying to identify every last flaw so that future versions of the replica will be as similar as possible to the Gen watch. Why do we then tell everyone who asks that it's really a replica? Is it a question of honesty or insecurity?

Also, in my previous message I introduced the variable of the social environment in which you are. In my case, to say that the watch I wear is a Rep, when my boss wears a Vacheron Constantin Overseas, my colleagues wear Rolex, PAM, etc., and all of them Gen... It would be really frowned upon.

I repeat my question, who do you tell that the watch is a replica and why? Do you tell it to everyone, just your close circle and family, or directly to no one?

Reactions: philiusmaximus

Wrestleantares

Known Member
19/9/18
The only time I have spotted a rep in the wild that I could actually tell at a glance was a black and gold Sub with gold bracelet. And that was because the gold was wearing badly.

As someone has said, not only do you have to have someone notice your watch, they actually have to know watches, know the model, and really it has to be a crappier rep.

RedBearrd

Wrist Admirer
Certified
22/11/17
The Netherlands 🇳🇱
From time to time I meet people who share the watch hobby. Telling the truth, when asked about genuineness, I advise against.

The alternative -say it is a rep- will result in a ‘magician shows how trick works’ event and I do not want to experience that again.

pamevolta

Certified
6/1/20
What do you think about this? As I said before, I don't understand why we should tell the truth if someone asks us. We spend all day in a forum, consulting reviews about replicas and trying to identify every last flaw so that future versions of the replica will be as similar as possible to the Gen watch. Why do we then tell everyone who asks that it's really a replica? Is it a question of honesty or insecurity?

Also, in my previous message I introduced the variable of the social environment in which you are. In my case, to say that the watch I wear is a Rep, when my boss wears a Vacheron Constantin Overseas, my colleagues wear Rolex, PAM, etc., and all of them Gen... It would be really frowned upon.

I repeat my question, who do you tell that the watch is a replica and why? Do you tell it to everyone, just your close circle and family, or directly to no one?

I don't advertise my reps as reps. First of all to reply to the OP's question - I have never been called out for wearing a rep. But I also stick to reps that I can afford in gen. For example: AT, PO, SOHII, entry level rolexes, cartier, etc.

I'm not rocking any Pateks or APs or anything crazy expensive so on that basis alone I can easily pass off a £5-£9k watch as gen. My financial status certainly allows to do so. I can afford said pieces (and planning on getting some actually in the future) but I can't seem to justify that amount easily. I work in marketing so I'm well aware of how brands are built and why we pay a premium for the top names.

My gf and my family know that most my watches are reps, but friends and acquaintances don't. They have never asked me if it's a rep (also the fact that 4/5 of them don't care or have a clue about any brands other than rolex helps haha) but I wouldn't tell them. Being honest in here, in our rep anonymous group hahaha.

Reactions: NaViSlick

funnystarsystem

Horology Curious
22/4/20
Good God Ten Pages?!? I'm convinced these forums and the entire rep game is an elaborate, long-running psychological experiment. Plenty of bizarre id, a little ego and some very warped superego in these ten pages, better call the research assistant!

ReptileWatch

Horology Curious
22/7/20
Haven't bought or worn a rep yet. Most people barely notice the watch on your wrist. But, even if they did and I got called out on wearing a rep watch, I'd make sure that the rest of my resume did the talking to make it real. Best believe I ain't spending $4,500+ more for the real thing though just to prove something and that's where reps come in. You keep your $4500, spend $500 on the rep and go on vacation with the rest! What's better than that?

Last edited:

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
I've just bought my first few reps, starting pretty safe with a ZZF v2 sub, which I showed my wife and starting discoursing about how good the reps are today etc etc. Her response: don't take me for a fool, that is not a fake, you would never buy a fake. Anyway, we are now off to the jewellers to spend the equivalent amount of money on her - which she has worked out to be £7,000. I do love her!

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
Haven't bought or worn a rep yet. Most people barely notice the watch on your wrist. But, even if they did and I got called out on wearing a rep watch, I'd make sure that the rest of my resume did the talking to make it real. Best believe I ain't spending $4,500+ more for the real thing though just to prove something and that's where reps come in. You keep your $4500, spend $500 on the rep and go on vacation with the rest! What's better than that?

So true. No one cares. I'll even add, it's terrifically difficult to even look closely at someone else' watch. Not that my eyes are great up close, but I find it a little weird to be staring at someone's watch. Inverting that sentiment, who's really looking at our own watches? Probably no one. Now, certain cases, bracelets, etc might be recognizable, but the details of a dial or date font? Probably not.

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20
I've just bought my first few reps, starting pretty safe with a ZZF v2 sub, which I showed my wife and starting discoursing about how good the reps are today etc etc. Her response: don't take me for a fool, that is not a fake, you would never buy a fake. Anyway, we are now off to the jewellers to spend the equivalent amount of money on her - which she has worked out to be £7,000. I do love her!

Sorry for your loss.

Maybe introduce her to a Cartier Love Bracelet courtesy of DHGate...? That $10US goes a long way there...

watchoself

3/6/20
UK

That’s the ultimate double bluff move on your wife’s part. You chose well clearly!

Sent from the RWI App

Reactions: leo6929

LebronXiJames

3/11/19
Texas 🤠
I’ve had 4-5 replicas more in the higher end of quality range but have never been called out. I personally have a BK/Noob sub, 3KF aquanaut, ZF calatrava 5296 and a PPF 5711. I think some replicas flaws are just more obvious to the eye than others. But most of the watches that are in the $500-600~ range will take some knowledge as to what to look for and probably a loupe to really be able to confirm it’s a rep. It would take someone who really really knows their shit and not the best rep to be able to call you out from a decent distance of a few feet.

I’m in my late 20s with a good engineering job just so you understand who I’m typically around when wearing my watches. I also think when you to look the part as in how you dress, what kind of home you have, your job title, and what kind of car you drive, also help prevent someone for evening attempting to call you out.

If I was working in the service industry, driving a 2005 Toyota Camry it might lead to more questions and people to assume they are not real.

However, I never try to pass a rep as a gen. I just like high quality reps that look very authentic. I’d like to have gens and reps in my collection as I get older but there are plenty of reasons to owning both a gen and rep in my opinion. If I scratch my 3K aquanaut really badly another $500 is a lot better than a 5-10 year waiting list and $20,000.

enduser

Renowned Member
Patron
Certified
29/7/20
UK
Maybe introduce her to a Cartier Love Bracelet courtesy of DHGate...?

A divorce would be much more expensive, my friend.

At least with the sub out of the way, I can now smuggle in a whole series of black and stainless Rolex sports watch reps using the excuse "no, it's same one darling", as long as I keep moving my wrist in her presence...........

Kalev007

I'm Pretty Popular
25/6/19

At least with the sub out of the way, I can now smuggle in a whole series of black and stainless Rolex sports watch reps using the excuse "no, it's same one darling", as long as I keep moving my wrist in her presence...........

Take it slowly.

114060 or 116710LN next see if she notices date is gone or the extra green hand and take it from there on based on the outcome.

thegolfman

Known Member
1/6/20

As the great Curley Howard once said, “I resemble that remark!”