• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

ZF AP 15500

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
im guessing you can tell that's a gen?

Well, my point was that whether the watch posted by THoll was gen or otherwise, it is good enough to pass as gen in the pic he posted as hence the "Le Brassus" mention.
I have recently seen a gen 15500 with a misaligned datewheel (sits too low) and was reminded that not every gen has good datewheel alignment as well.

WatchCool90210

20/1/17
just received my ZF 15500 white dial in the mail today.

its a beautiful piece, just not sure its 4 me; very heavy and substantial on the wrist.

im in CONUS and would b willing 2 sell.

may list on M2M.

Reactions: stowee

stowee

Supporter
Certified
14/3/18
Texas
just received my ZF 15500 white dial in the mail today.

its a beautiful piece, just not sure its 4 me; very heavy and substantial on the wrist.

im in CONUS and would b willing 2 sell.

may list on M2M.

Sent you a PM regarding this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
Anyone know how I can fix this unknown mark on the zf bracelet?
Happened after I gave the bracelet ultrasonic bath+baby oil bath and then rinsed with hot water. Then another hair shampoo wash and rinsed again.
Never seen this type of mark on a SS bracelet before. Thanks.

50153568497_0f5a4ba033_k.jpg

50153330961_60476e8850_k.jpg

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Anyone know how I can fix this unknown mark on the zf bracelet?
Happened after I gave the bracelet ultrasonic bath+baby oil bath and then rinsed with hot water. Then another hair shampoo wash and rinsed again.
Never seen this type of mark on a SS bracelet before. Thanks.

Firstly why was it necessary to subject your bracelet to such a regime? It’s almost abuse and definitely excessive. There is a proper way to soften the bracelet edges and also make it pliable if that was what you were trying to achieve. The 3 areas you want to address are: bracelet pliability, edge softness and polish/finish. What you need addresses only one aspect but can potentially destroy the finish of the watch sir.

The steel likely have reacted with some component in the shampoo and it looks like oxidation of sorts. Good news is that it can be rebrushed back to its original finishing don’t worry. You can also try letting the metal oxidize naturally again. It may or may not work. In worst case, send me the bracelet and I’ll help you get it up to par again, without the torture regime :hehehe:

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
Firstly why was it necessary to subject your bracelet to such a regime? It’s almost abuse and definitely excessive. There is a proper way to soften the bracelet edges and also make it pliable if that was what you were trying to achieve. The 3 areas you want to address are: bracelet pliability, edge softness and polish/finish. What you need addresses only one aspect but can potentially destroy the finish of the watch sir.

The steel likely have reacted with some component in the shampoo and it looks like oxidation of sorts. Good news is that it can be rebrushed back to its original finishing don’t worry. You can also try letting the metal oxidize naturally again. It may or may not work. In worst case, send me the bracelet and I’ll help you get it up to par again, without the torture regime :hehehe:

Ultrasonic clean and baby oil bath was always my go-to on rep bracelets.
However I always wanted to try doing the shampoo wash as others have suggested on the forum. It was merely an experiment and this was the result haha.
The spot doesn’t bother me too much but the sharp edges of the ZF bracelet definitely do.

Reactions: legend

James2020

1/6/20
Ultrasonic clean and baby oil bath was always my go-to on rep bracelets.
However I always wanted to try doing the shampoo wash as others have suggested on the forum. It was merely an experiment and this was the result haha.
The spot doesn’t bother me too much but the sharp edges of the ZF bracelet definitely do.

Pray tell what’s the shampoo that you used. Will make sure I won’t use it on my watch and myself... LOL

MambaMentality60

8/24
Certified
30/5/20
Australia
Pray tell what’s the shampoo that you used. Will make sure I won’t use it on my watch and myself... LOL

I should have went with a more silky Shampoo. Though after this I won’t be using shampoo at all starting from now(on rep bracelets ofc). That last the first and last time from me.

50153826126_35c4915eef_n.jpg

Last edited:

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Why would shampoo be needed when it's already been treated with ultrasonic + baby oil bath?

I agree with this.

Please guys don’t go with anecdotal but unproven treatments. Going with shampoo is like going with ketchup or mustard, unless you know 100% how the components in the shampoo react with steel.

Ultrasonic cleaning can make the bracelet cleaner yes.
Baby oil can smooth out all the joints and therefore make the bracelet more pliable. So yes.
To make the edges less sharp you need to bevel and polish it a little. And if you want to rebrush the bracelet surface to make it look better then it’s a separate process again.
Hot water can actually compromise the rust-resistance of steel depending on the anti-corrosiveness treatment done on the steel originally and the temperature of the water.

There IS a proper process to soften and refinish a bracelet and make it more comfortable to wear.

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Why would shampoo be needed when it's already been treated with ultrasonic + baby oil bath?

I agree with this.

Please guys don’t go with anecdotal but unproven treatments. Going with shampoo is like going with ketchup or mustard, unless you know 100% how the components in the shampoo react with steel.

Ultrasonic cleaning can make the bracelet cleaner yes.
Baby oil can smooth out all the joints and therefore make the bracelet more pliable. So yes.
To make the edges less sharp you need to bevel and polish it a little. And if you want to rebrush the bracelet surface to make it look better then it’s a separate process again.
Hot water can actually compromise the rust-resistance of steel depending on the anti-corrosiveness treatment done on the steel originally and the temperature of the water.

There IS a proper process to soften and refinish a bracelet and make it more comfortable to wear.

Reactions: Allure and vcappp

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Next time maybe try acid. Gonna make your bracelet much smoother. Also the edges. :lol: :qtip2:

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
Dupe

Last edited:

Tig990

Known Member
6/5/19
My white dial ZF 15500 is probably a few days away. Will be the first metal band watch I've owned. Any chance Legend or someone else in the know could give me a brief primer on what exactly I should do to the bracelet when I get it? Ultrasonic bath in baby oil - for how long? Any particular type of baby oil? Let it dry afterward or rinse with soap and water?

Edit: also, remove the band from the case before treating it, right?

Last edited:

Sonofalich

James
Patron
Certified
10/6/19
United Kingdom
My white dial ZF 15500 is probably a few days away. Will be the first metal band watch I've owned. Any chance Legend or someone else in the know could give me a brief primer on what exactly I should do to the bracelet when I get it? Ultrasonic bath in baby oil - for how long? Any particular type of baby oil? Let it dry afterward or rinse with soap and water?

Edit: also, remove the band from the case before treating it, right?

Firstly, always remove the bracelet for any treatment like this. Mainly because these reps you don't know there waterproofing status. I appreciate it isn't water... but its wet. haha

Any mineral oil/baby oil - you can use providing their pure. Baby oil = fragranced, mineral oil = no fragrance - that's the only difference. Personally when I do it, I leave the bracelet in a tub for 2-3 days, and every day I articulate the bracelet around the oil. It's probably unnecessary, but I do it.

Then I take it out... and I dry it using paper towels, and then I wrap it up in paper towels and put it on a window sill for 2-3 days and after that... its good to go. No need to wash it, all excess oil goes into the paper towels and its wearable.

If you want to sand down the rough edges, that's a different kettle of fish. Try just the oil bath first. Enjoy.

Reactions: marcmarc and vcappp