• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

3K Aquanaut review

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
I see no gap, am I right?

I have gen strap on my 3K Aquanaut as well. I have a slim wrist, so the gap is more obvious. It is just the angle of the picture above made the gap disappear. Also, as you can see in the picture, the end link ghost line doesnt match the lug contour, while it should be a perfect match on the gen. There will only be no gap if the ghost line lines up with the lug.

I guess it also varies on the particular 3K Aquanaut too due to quality control. I tried to fit two pairs of gen straps, and they both had gap. It might work better than yours. I don't know.

See here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...thread/page244

Last edited:

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Just a heads up!

about a month ago, I've ordered the 5167 with a steel bracelet an ordered an extra 115 USD strap from Trusty, because i couldn't live with the gold stamps on the back. Yesterday without warning, without consulting me, he sends me just the watch, and tells me that he can't source the strap, and don't know when it will be available.

Now i'm stuck with half an order, and a watch that i have no use for. Had he been honest and told me how the situation was, i would no doubt had either waited a reasonable time for the complete order, or canceled the order.

I guess there is a reason why he wasn't a trusted dealer for a long time. So in short, don't order with trusty at this time, if you expect to get an extra strap!

Last edited:

timnic54

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/2/16
Thailand
Just a heads up!

about a month ago, I've ordered the 5167 with a steel bracelet an ordered an extra 115 USD strap from Trusty, because i couldn't live with the gold stamps on the back. Yesterday without warning, without consulting me, he sends me just the watch, and tells me that he can't source the strap, and don't know when it will be available.

Now i'm stuck with half an order, and a watch that i have no use for. Had he been honest and told me how the situation was, i would no doubt had either waited a reasonable time for the complete order, or canceled the order.

I guess there is a reason why he wasn't a trusted dealer for a long time. So in short, don't order with trusty at this time, if you expect to get an extra strap!

You have the right watch all you need is to get a strap, they are available in many places.

Last edited:

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
You have the right watch all you need is to get a strap, they are available in many places.

Yeah i know, this was mostly ment as a heads up, if you are thinking about ordering from Trusty :)

Reactions: timnic54

mumk

Renowned Member
13/7/10
I would just go with 3k, and get a ZF strap
The strap is such a minor issue when it’s all said and done
the only pictures/posts I’ve seen where the bezel looks that much bigger is from luminor. I have a RG otw and can give you my honest opinion as I have my own pics of the gen from local.
At the end of the day totally up to you

Is there anyone here who tried to fit the ZF strap onto the 3K? Does it fit properly? How is the ZF clasp compared to the 3K?

fatbatman2000

Horology Curious
6/5/19
Absolute nonsense to talk about „gentas proportions“ when you refer to a 2° wider angle of the bevel on the bezel while gentas original nautilus had a completely different bezel than the modern ones let alone the difference in appearance of the native aquanaut which was inspired but not designed by him.

didn‘t want to be a hypocrite when i made a small joke but you forced me to be extra precise haha

I respect precision!
After comparing the modern Aquanaut to the original Nautilus bezel, I concede the bezel width is clearly different enough to not be "Genta's proportions".

Sidhu6355

16/11/18
Good God people, the reference for this particular watch dimensions is an aquanaut(gen) that was made somewhere around 2007-2009 with the movement having a Geneva seal, and, no 'swiss made' at 6. Now, comparing the rep aquanaut which is based off on the 2007-09 model with a genuine made 2-3 or even 5 years back does no justice to it at all. Come on, be reasonable, this is a rep with the "Perfect" dimensions with smooth silk like finishes which you could possibly get in the market now, don't believe me, read timnics review again. Still ain't satisfied, do some research, see the promotional images where the rep is compared with the genuine(mind you again-2007-09 model). Then have assumptions, don't shoot arrows in the dark comparing a 10 year old model with a new updated one, even you don't look like the same after 10 years, don't you?
https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/patek-philippe/8427326-3k-factory-pp-aquanaut-5167-rep-vs-gen

Last edited:
Reactions: timnic54

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Good God people, the reference for this particular watch dimensions is an aquanaut(gen) that was made somewhere around 2007-2009 with the movement having a Geneva seal, and, no 'swiss made' at 6. Now, comparing the rep aquanaut which is based off on the 2007-09 model with a genuine made 2-3 or even 5 years back does no justice to it at all. Come on, be reasonable, this is a rep with the "Perfect" dimensions with smooth silk like finishes which you could possibly get in the market now, don't believe me, read timnics review again. Still ain't satisfied, do some research, see the promotional images where the rep is compared with the genuine(mind you again-2007-09 model). Then have assumptions, don't shoot arrows in the dark comparing a 10 year old model with a new updated one, even you don't look like the same after 10 years, don't you?
https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...167-rep-vs-gen

So, basically you are pointing out the mistake that someone somewhere in this thread was comparing the 3K Aquanaut to a recently made gen, which would be an unfair comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: XLR8R

Sidhu6355

16/11/18
So, basically you are pointing out the mistake that someone somewhere in this thread was comparing the 3K Aquanaut to a recently made gen, which would be an unfair comparison.

It's not a mistake per se, I chose to ignore it but ongoing discussions on the bezel prompted me to write up too, and to be honest, that comparison is too far fetched mate. It's like you are comparing yourself with a 10 years younger you and then cribbing for having gone bald now!

Last edited:

Tobel

6/7/17
I have gen strap on my 3K Aquanaut as well. I have a slim wrist, so the gap is more obvious. It is just the angle of the picture above made the gap disappear. Also, as you can see in the picture, the end link ghost line doesnt match the lug contour, while it should be a perfect match on the gen. There will only be no gap if the ghost line lines up with the lug.

I guess it also varies on the particular 3K Aquanaut too due to quality control. I tried to fit two pairs of gen straps, and they both had gap. It might work better than yours. I don't know.

See here: https://forum.replica-watch.info/for...thread/page244

Sort mate but what post are you referring to? The link goes to a PP pic thread, not sure which one is yours and illustrates your point. Thanks

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Sort mate but what post are you referring to? The link goes to a PP pic thread, not sure which one is yours and illustrates your point. Thanks

Someone there posted his 3K Aquanaut on gen straps and you can see the unmatching ghost line and gap.

Actually, I did some further research on this matter and found that even on gen Aquanauts there can be a little gap if on a slim wrist, but even if there is a gap on gen the ghost line should always perfect match the end link, which is not the case on the 3K with gen straps.

Again, the gap and mismatching are very slight

Last edited:

Tobel

6/7/17
Someone there posted his 3K Aquanaut on gen straps and you can see the unmatching ghost line and gap.

Actually, I did some further research on this matter and found that even on gen Aquanauts there can be a little gap if on a slim wrist, but even if there is a gap on gen the ghost line should always perfect match the end link, which is not the case on the 3K with gen straps.

Again, the gap and mismatching are very slight

Thank you for this additional information. Any chance you could share the specific post that you were referring to earlier? So that we can have an idea of how bad or not this gap is? Thank you

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Thank you for this additional information. Any chance you could share the specific post that you were referring to earlier? So that we can have an idea of how bad or not this gap is? Thank you

Posts by TidusKun
If you are thinking of buying gen straps for your 3K Aquanaut or others, I'd say go for it.

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Tobel
XOuYD.jpg
XOw83.jpg
XO4vs.jpg
XOszY.jpg

3K Aquanaut with gen straps:
My wrist is small, and my watch is strapped onto a larger pillow so the fit is tight. The gap almost disappears though the end ghost line doesn’t match lugs perfectly. Not sure if that’s the same on the gen Aquanaut.

when on my wrist, depending on the viewing angle the gap might disappear, but it is definitely there. End ghost line not matching lug.

I do believe that the can be some sort of gap on the gen when strapped onto a slim wrist, yet one shouldn't be able to that easily see the end metal protrusions through the gap.

Same for my brown gen strap on the 3K Aquanaut.

Last edited:

Tobel

6/7/17
Tobel
3K Aquanaut with gen straps:
My wrist is small, and my watch is strapped onto a larger pillow so the fit is tight. The gap almost disappears though the end ghost line doesn’t match lugs perfectly. Not sure if that’s the same on the gen Aquanaut.

when on my wrist, depending on the viewing angle the gap might disappear, but it is definitely there. End ghost line not matching lug.

Same for my brown gen strap on the 3K Aquanaut.

Thanks a lot! I was struggling to find the reference so appreciate that you took the time to share the details :) that's probably something that is easily fixable, if it needs fixing at all. I'm really itching for this rep...

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
Thanks a lot! I was struggling to find the reference so appreciate that you took the time to share the details :) that's probably something that is easily fixable, if it needs fixing at all. I'm really itching for this rep...

I am actually thinking of ways to fix it. If not altering the gen straps, we probably need to drill new lug holes so that the straps can be placed a little further in.

Mark1937

Patron
Certified
25/3/17
I am actually thinking of ways to fix it. If not altering the gen straps, we probably need to drill new lug holes so that the straps can be placed a little further in.

maybe the new holes would be too close to the existing ones :-(
but how is it possible that no one has tried to install the rubber ZF on the 3KF ???

Tobel

6/7/17

I don't have it in hands so I'm just basing my idea on the pic above, but I'm not sure you need to do something that difficult. How about inserting something small between the case and the strap, on the bottom side of the strap? So that it forces the strap to rotate a little and the top side would become closer to the case.

Rainbowkin

Renowned Member
15/4/20
Geneve, China
I don't have it in hands so I'm just basing my idea on the pic above, but I'm not sure you need to do something that difficult. How about inserting something small between the case and the strap, on the bottom side of the strap? So that it forces the strap to rotate a little and the top side would become closer to the case.

That's a good idea. Like a spacer put on the bottom edge to pivot the strap up a little bit against the case. A piece of tape might do.

Last edited: