• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica wearing habits

Max111

You're Saying I Can Sell?
15/3/19
I think believability is two factors: (1) decent quality, and (2) attitude. So long as my rep is decent without glaring DHGate-ish blemishes, and I wear it with confidence, chances of getting called out by typical people is very low.

If it helps your confidence, I wore my PAM112 noob to an AD and received compliments.

Sent from my iPad using RWI

Let me ask you a question. What is the reason you buy replicas? Is that because you love watches and try to stretch the budget or is it because a person buys replica to appear more successful than he is?

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
I buy reps because i like watches and i like taking things apart. To take apart a gen with not a load of experience would be stupid. Makes me very happy doing little jobs on my crappy chinese watches. That and roger dubuis is my favourite watch brand, they are many things but affordable is not one of them. My close friends that see the boxes of watches in my house know they are reps. No one else cares. Literally no one. Only time you cant guarantee a comment on your watch is if you visit an ad and they are trying to butter you up to buy the over priced chunk of metal in front of you. Just wear your rep and stop fannying around! Lawyers dont work in the rolex counterfeit prevention department (they do, not the ones you work with though!)

Reactions: Max111

Max111

15/3/19
I buy reps because i like watches and i like taking things apart. To take apart a gen with not a load of experience would be stupid. Makes me very happy doing little jobs on my crappy chinese watches. That and roger dubuis is my favourite watch brand, they are many things but affordable is not one of them. My close friends that see the boxes of watches in my house know they are reps. No one else cares. Literally no one. Only time you cant guarantee a comment on your watch is if you visit an ad and they are trying to butter you up to buy the over priced chunk of metal in front of you. Just wear your rep and stop fannying around! Lawyers dont work in the rolex counterfeit prevention department (they do, not the ones you work with though!)

This is a perfect answer. I love watches. Always did since I was 7 years old. I wish I could be handy enough to open a watch and do some maintenance work on them. It is a great feeling

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
This is a perfect answer. I love watches. Always did since I was 7 years old. I wish I could be handy enough to open a watch and do some maintenance work on them. It is a great feeling

Only way you will ever learn is by trying. Have i broken more than I've fixed? Probably. But thats why i buy as many spares as is feasibility possible. If you see broken 2836/2824 movements just buy them. Chances are you will break or lose screws and parts at some point. Honestly watch making is one of the most annoying things I've ever tried, but when you get that little bastard ticking, its a great feeling!

Reactions: p0pperini

Max111

15/3/19
Only way you will ever learn is by trying. Have i broken more than I've fixed? Probably. But thats why i buy as many spares as is feasibility possible. If you see broken 2836/2824 movements just buy them. Chances are you will break or lose screws and parts at some point. Honestly watch making is one of the most annoying things I've ever tried, but when you get that little bastard ticking, its a great feeling!

Did you take classes or just figured out on your own? It is so impressive.

Dr Fun Socks

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
28/2/17
Did you take classes or just figured out on your own? It is so impressive.

Just figured it out. Start small. Learn to grease seals and silence rotors. Watch as much of the watch repair channel on you tube as is humanly possible. Above all else, ask some of the guys here if you get stuck. After browsing a few thousand threads, you might think oh ‘xxx’ knows his way around a genuine patek sky moon, ill ask him for help. If you don’t get the joke, google patek sky moon! Most of the time people here are more than willing to help, its a great community :) all i can say is your confidence will grow quicker than your skill level, and it might cost you a few quid in spare parts and tools, but in the long run if you like watches its a great idea to learnt to do a few mods and fixes.

Gaslight16

Speed Demon
5/7/19
Singapore
Just wear your reps with confidence.

most of the time people judge your outfits and how you carry yourself first before seeing the watch. If they know the lifestyle you lead, they won’t question your watch

I’d wear reps of the nautilus, aquanaut, 15400, Daytonas and panerai’s as well to work and to previously, to school as well and nobody really questioned the authenticity of my watches.

as was what was said by other members, majority of people who don’t dabble in reps won’t know how to differentiate rep vs gen , even gen owners don’t know how to differentiate rep vs gen 90% of the time unless they have trained eyes like we do to spot reps.

just wear whatever makes you happy; even if it’s a rep

yongsum

Supporter
Certified
3/6/19
i absolutely love reps. almost no one ever really looks at what i'm wearing so i wear watches for me. but wearing a few hundred bucks on my wrist feels a lot better (safer) than wearing something that's 20k. i own way more gens than reps, but hardly wear them. if a person were to ask, i'd have no problem bragging about my awesome rep

Hazing

And So It Begins... Again
9/5/19
Hey Mate - There are guys in this forum who wear rep RMs ($750K watches) ;)

Getting into the rep hobby implies that you like it and you are generally happy with them (else you mod/franken them). So wear them with pride and in good health. Watches should be worn to make you happy/satisfied, not what others think...

I have a buddy buddy who wears a rep Rolex but it is a cheap lower than grade A rep. Like something you’d buy for $20 on DHgate but he bought it as gen. That is someone said “pfft I have this $10000 Rolex I’ll sell to you for $6000” and he bought it. He now knows it’s fake but he wears it occasionally. Only when he thinks a woman is going to be around and he is al2ays trying to hold it up in a way so she’ll notice it.

Needless to say... he’s single. Like desperately single.

I have even told him “that watch makes me cringe. Please take it off” and his response is “why? There aren’t even any women around?” The sad part is how many peo0le are that clueless.

Reactions: Max111 and srhoque

Azwethinkweiz28

Horology Curious
17/10/10
I love my Nautilus rep, but I work in financial services and trust is important. I feel it would be a bad look to have something counterfeit or be assumed it’s a show-off. I can afford a gen (in a fantasy where waiting lists didn’t exist), but our owner and a few others have annual calendar PP gens and there’s almost a certainty they’d geek out and I wouldn’t try passing it off as a gen. Needless to say, I wear it without hesitation in public, but around the office where there’s a risk of conversation around it, it’s usually well tucked under the cuff.

I also second what others have said. I really enjoy my gen GMT II and vintage chrono, but I worry more about nailing them on a door jam, they are hard to justify the price, and service costs that of one or two great reps. I enjoy the few reps (and growing) in a whole different way. Not to show off, but to enjoy the hunt, lurking in this forum, and adding the variety to my options without getting jerked around at the ADs with waitlists and commission breath.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Azwethinkweiz28

Horology Curious
17/10/10
Also, it’s one thing to pass as having a couple extra nice watches, but it’s not reasonable to sport a watch collection that’s full of the scarce models or rivaling the price of your home. If you’re looking to pass it as gen, probably make sure you could easily afford it or it’s going to either cause suspicion or questions of judgment to your priorities.

jackbrabham

Supporter
6/10/18
Have you considered a franken watch? I find it much easier to pull off than a complete rep confidence-wise.

May not be possible with a Panerai but obviously the Rolex market is awash.

Max111

15/3/19
Have you considered a franken watch? I find it much easier to pull off than a complete rep confidence-wise.

May not be possible with a Panerai but obviously the Rolex market is awash.

I honestly just love the style of the watch and I don’t try to pass it off as genuine. I would rather buy my Pam 127 rep that doesn’t say Panerai But is copying everything else. I hope the rep manufacturers would do that.

outerbolt

19/8/19
Hong Kong
Here in HK even the guy pumping you gas has a rollie on, you never know whats real or fake. I never get compliments in HKG unless its from a visitor or another expat that is into watches. I actually get more compliments on the automatic Seikos that I have, and have never once received a compliment on my gen Tag anywhere, I even had a mate with the same watch and he was bragging about his, but then I showed him mine, and said "great watch, I have the same one." He responded "no, mine is different." Exact same watch down to the strap. When traveling to the states or around Asia, people seem to pick up on it more, but nobody has ever suspected its a fake. Most people will make their assumption based on how much money they think you have. If you have a good job and are rocking a rep of a 10K-20K USD watch, most people will assume its legit. If you are super young and unemployed or working an entry level job, people may pass judgement, but people on the street don't know you or your background, this only applies to business events. I have even had people go on and on about a stainless/gold wrapped sub I bought for less than 40USD in Hanoi, which was decent but the hour hands were short and the font was a bit off.

Just rock your pam with confidence, I think that one is on the super-rep list. It is a beautiful piece.

outerbolt

19/8/19
Hong Kong
I love my Nautilus rep, but I work in financial services and trust is important. I feel it would be a bad look to have something counterfeit or be assumed it’s a show-off. I can afford a gen (in a fantasy where waiting lists didn’t exist), but our owner and a few others have annual calendar PP gens and there’s almost a certainty they’d geek out and I wouldn’t try passing it off as a gen. Needless to say, I wear it without hesitation in public, but around the office where there’s a risk of conversation around it, it’s usually well tucked under the cuff.

I also second what others have said. I really enjoy my gen GMT II and vintage chrono, but I worry more about nailing them on a door jam, they are hard to justify the price, and service costs that of one or two great reps. I enjoy the few reps (and growing) in a whole different way. Not to show off, but to enjoy the hunt, lurking in this forum, and adding the variety to my options without getting jerked around at the ADs with waitlists and commission breath.

Now that's a fair point. I actually informed the owner of our company that the majority of the watches I wear are fakes when I was renegotiating my annual contract. The boss man always knows about your cashflow.

Nikz19

Watchmaker / Modder
Vendor (Watch Repair)
Certified
24/4/18
Italy
I still can’t come to realize WHY people are so ashamed by reps.
The world’s not gonna stop if you’re being honest..

Someone asks? Just tell them it’s a rep. It’s even a much better conversation starter.

Last edited:
Reactions: Max111

jackbrabham

Supporter
6/10/18
I honestly just love the style of the watch and I don’t try to pass it off as genuine. I would rather buy my Pam 127 rep that doesn’t say Panerai But is copying everything else. I hope the rep manufacturers would do that.

I'm sure for the right price you could have someone remove the logo on the dial.

Perhaps message a few of the modification guys.