• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How to remove and replace a Ceramic Daytona bezel.

Nivka

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/4/15
Australia
red1 Thanks for this tutorial. never did before. I am planning to do. not yet started. I have Quick questions: Can I re-use the gasket when replacing to CF bezel? or Do I need a new gasket?

What does it mean “a very fine layer of silicon around the inside of the bezel” ? Can I re-use it ? Is this the thing called “gasket”?

To make it 12.3mm gen spec, which side do I need to shave? with which tool? how to shave? with sand paper ok?
thanks.

FWIW I just reused the same crystal gasket. I didn’t use any silicon and it was fine. To make it thinner, leave the crystal in the gasket, measure thickness with calipers, while holding the crystal gently sand the gasket on ~240 grit sandpaper. Remeasure thickness every minute until you’ve shaved 0.4mm off. Then clear the dust from the dial and reapply crystal onto case. Then press the bezel on

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Good morning guys, just did the swap of my bezel to a CF.
Thanks red1 for all the hints, always went good.

I also swapped the crystal gasket to a gen 2.3mm that I took. The one I removed looks like a 2.45mm at the caliper.
Crystal is sitting not perfectly but is an improvement for now that I'll search a gen crystal because the noob gasket is WHITE and a give a strange effect looking at the crystal border.

Thanks everybody.

Tobel

6/7/17
Good morning guys, just did the swap of my bezel to a CF.
Thanks red1 for all the hints, always went good.

I also swapped the crystal gasket to a gen 2.3mm that I took. The one I removed looks like a 2.45mm at the caliper.
Crystal is sitting not perfectly but is an improvement for now that I'll search a gen crystal because the noob gasket is WHITE and a give a strange effect looking at the crystal border.

Thanks everybody.

Hey mate, interesting comment about the gasket, but I'm not sure I understood you right, if the gasket is at fault (of being white), what is a gen crystal going to improve? Thanks

Last edited:

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Hey mate, interesting comment about the gasket, but I'm not sure I understood you right, if the gasket is at fault (of being white), what is a gen crystal going to improve? Thanks

Nothing special but the thickness. I didn’t measure the noob crystal but I’m sure the more height is due to a wrong crystal thickness.

Tobel

6/7/17
Nothing special but the thickness. I didn’t measure the noob crystal but I’m sure the more height is due to a wrong crystal thickness.

Got it. So the gen gasket did change the colour of the border of the crystal, right? Thank you

JDM180

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
3/9/13
Anymore comments on this about the gasket ? is it worth replacing with a shorter one at the same time ?

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Waited for my better press and correct Rolex dies and just swapped mine over now , didnt think it would make much difference but it definitely improves the look of the watch highly recommend the clean bezel. I just used the existing gasket since nobody said otherwise.

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Waited for my better press and correct Rolex dies and just swapped mine over now , didnt think it would make much difference but it definitely improves the look of the watch highly recommend the clean bezel. I just used the existing gasket since nobody said otherwise.

I said otherwise, here and in other thread but you haven't read it probably. And my comment is just two or three post above this...

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
I said otherwise, here and in other thread but you haven't read it probably. And my comment is just two or three post above this...

My bad I didnt explain properly what I was looking for, I couldnt find any confirmation of gen gasket part number , or aftermarket alternative. I found a couple places saying 2.2mmand some 2.3mm. Just that gen gasket or other shorter one was better. With lack of info I just used existing noob one.

Do you have access to any more gen gaskets ? The stock height/gasket really bugs me. Or cousinsuk over here has a good stock of aftermarket stuff but there is no reference to what fits what model just gasket width and height measurements.

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
My bad I didnt explain properly what I was looking for, I couldnt find any confirmation of gen gasket part number , or aftermarket alternative. I found a couple places saying 2.2mmand some 2.3mm. Just that gen gasket or other shorter one was better. With lack of info I just used existing noob one.

Do you have access to any more gen gaskets ? The stock height/gasket really bugs me. Or cousinsuk over here has a good stock of aftermarket stuff but there is no reference to what fits what model just gasket width and height measurements.

Now is more clear :)
Take a good aftermarket 2.3mm gasket, also 2.2 will be good with Noob crystal (IMHO). No need to go gen, but should be of good quality. The Noob one is completely White and rigid, the gen and good aftermarket are more flexible and semi trasparent.
No code part also for gen, or at least I never know that. You need a 295 Crystal Gasket (is the diameter) for Rolex. From cousins they are perfect.

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
Awesome thanks for the reply.

Ah right so a 295 gasket is a 295 gasket irrelevant of the model the crystal is for ? By that there are two on cousins one has a step and the other doesn't, do you know which is correct ?

There is a 2.2mm one as well but that's down as a 286 at the start.

Screenshot-20200108-112009-Chrome.jpg

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
Awesome thanks for the reply.

Ah right so a 295 gasket is a 295 gasket irrelevant of the model the crystal is for ? By that there are two on cousins one has a step and the other doesn't, do you know which is correct ?

There is a 2.2mm one as well but that's down as a 286 at the start.

Screenshot-20200108-112009-Chrome.jpg

hard to answer on this: what they mean for "with step"? Try to contact them and ask wich is suitable for a Rolex Crystal. I suppose the one without step is good.

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13
hard to answer on this: what they mean for "with step"? Try to contact them and ask wich is suitable for a Rolex Crystal. I suppose the one without step is good.

they seem unusually difficult to contact , but I'm thinking the same to just go with the regular one and hope

JDM180

Banned
3/9/13

Gaskets turned up so just swapped them out with the press , I see exactly what you mean about the color. noob is solid white !

20200111-182817.jpg

The new one was a bit of a tight fit almost thought the crystal/insert was going to crack when pressing them back on but it eventually went in and looks brilliant now.

Dont know if it's just because I was that focused on it but what a difference it has made imo.
​​​​​​​
20200111-182735.jpg

Reactions: ginopino and Nivka

Daytona Hoarder
Patron
Certified
6/6/19
USA
Gaskets turned up so just swapped them out with the press , I see exactly what you mean about the color. noob is solid white !

20200111-182817.jpg

The new one was a bit of a tight fit almost thought the crystal/insert was going to crack when pressing them back on but it eventually went in and looks brilliant now.

Dont know if it's just because I was that focused on it but what a difference it has made imo.

20200111-182735.jpg

Looking good ;) can you post the link to where you bought the gasket

ginopino

I'm Pretty Popular
7/11/16
​​​​​​​
20200111-182735.jpg

That's great! The tight fit is normal in my opinion, and the difficult to press is maybe for the economic tools we use.
Anyway, now you saw the difference in the gasket?
With the "gen or genlike" one, you have different border color of the crystal... now is more trasparent, before it was almost white.

And also the thickness of course

Reactions: JDM180

Yellobird

I'm Pretty Popular
3/8/15

And a proper gasket is now officially on the way! Woohoo, cannot wait to get rid of the „milky rim”!!