• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Royal Oak 15202 "Jumbo" Showdown - XF , JF , DC !

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
Interesting find, this could a new JF 15202 v2 which they desperately need to ward off the competition. Where did you see or read that it has a height of 8.3mm? Thanks.

Atleast they updated the shitty printing.

Fantastic review btw! I really hate the XF color, i don't know why but the greyish blue looks so vintage and i really don't like vintage stuff :D

Reactions: SHB

legend

The RWI Dragon
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
20/9/10
Where I need to be.
Atleast they updated the shitty printing.

Fantastic review btw! I really hate the XF color, i don't know why but the greyish blue looks so vintage and i really don't like vintage stuff :D

In a way the 15202 can still be considered a vintage if you look at the caliber 2121 movement used in the gen, which was developed by JLC. It has no quickset date function and also a relatively low power reserve compared with the modern royal oaks. Compared with the 15202, the modern day royal oaks are in general thicker, chunkier and both the 15400 and 15500 use the 3120 and 4302 calibers respectively, which have more up to date specs than the 15202.
The gen 15202 is a flimsy watch and the stem is known to pop off occasionally during operation. So yes I can understand if you dislike the 15202 or specific features of it. I myself am not a fan of the watch for different reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tigerdragon

Mythical Poster
19/10/13
In a way the 15202 can still be considered a vintage if you look at the caliber 2121 movement used in the gen, which was developed by JLC. It has no quickset date function and also a relatively low power reserve compared with the modern royal oaks. Compared with the 15202, the modern day royal oaks are in general thicker, chunkier and both the 15400 and 15500 use the 3120 and 4302 calibers respectively, which have more up to date specs than the 15202.
The gen 15202 is a flimsy watch and the stem is known to pop off occasionally during operation. So yes I can understand if you dislike the 15202 or specific features of it. I myself am not a fan of the watch for different reasons.

Iam actually like the design but the color is just not my thing, i like the color of the JF more but its not fitting my wrist anymore so yeah :D

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Thanks LuminorReptar for this data, SuperLory posted a pics of his DC next to his XF and it was looking way bigger. Now we got the data :)

No worries!

It's strange because I would have thought the DC case looked bigger, but it is really the dial proportions that gives it that appearance..

Really was not expecting the DC case to be slightly smaller than XF and JF.

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
No worries!

It's strange because I would have thought the DC case looked bigger, but it is really the dial proportions that gives it that appearance..

Really was not expecting the DC case to be slightly smaller than XF and JF.

It could be because of the lug to lug dimension or overall case lenght of each, I'm thinking the DC will be the longer of the three. If you can, please provide us with these measurement(s). No need for pictures, just the finding will do. Thanks again for your informative review.

Last edited:

knightprez

Horology Curious
15/12/19
Here is my XF, just got it today.
What do you think ?
619bb37a23bf1d10f38b8756d2db5b38.jpg

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
It could be because of the lug to lug dimension or overall case lenght of each, I'm thinking the DC will be the longer of the three. If you can, please provide us with these measurement(s). No need for pictures, just the finding will do. Thanks again for your informative review.

Yeah man you are correct:

DC = 50mm

XF = 48.7mm

JF = 49mm

Reactions: Nivka

gilrob

Legendary Member
Supporter
25/10/15
Las Vegas, Nevada
Yeah man you are correct:

DC = 50mm

XF = 48.7mm

JF = 49mm

Thank you for taking the time to take the lug to lug measurements and providing them to us. The differences between the three are small, so the XF is back on my shopping list. I thought that the XF may be too small when it was reported it is smaller than the DC model, which I have and it fits fine.

Most TDs give only the diameter and thickness dimensions of the watch. I think the lug to lug/overall length dimension is equally important as it provides the buyer additional information as how the watch will look like on their wrist. I, for one, don't want a watch that is longer than the top of my wrist.

Thanks again.

Reactions: LuminorReptar

LuminorReptar

RepTime BST Mod
27/3/17
Beyond the Pines.
Thank you for taking the time to take the lug to lug measurements and providing them to us. The differences between the three are small, so the XF is back on my shopping list. I thought that the XF may be too small when it was reported it is smaller than the DC model, which I have and it fits fine.

Most TDs give only the diameter and thickness dimensions of the watch. I think the lug to lug/overall length dimension is equally important as it provides the buyer additional information as how the watch will look like on their wrist. I, for one, don't want a watch that is longer than the top of my wrist.

Thanks again.

of course man, no problem!

I agree that the "wingspan" of the watch is really important because thats the part that hugs the wrist. It's unique to the Royal Oak design in the way the bracelet is fitted, it flares out a bit right on the lugs, so even at under 50mm it might wear too big on some smaller wrists.

Its the same reason I definitely can't wear the 15400.. that wingspan adds a lot to the overall size even though the case diameter measures only 41mm.

Reactions: gilrob

_DC_

I'm Pretty Popular
3/1/13
London UK
Superb review, fantastic work and extremely informative.

For my eyes the XF is absolutely outstanding. No competition, when you consider everything together, dial, thickness, bracelet, hands etc. Also my personal preference as far as the gen goes is the MK3 anyway, love the grey-blue dial colour, super sexy!

DC (no relation or affiliation to the maker of the quartz 15202, lol)

Reactions: jasonbaylee

Phantomtech

I'm Pretty Popular
28/12/12
Thanks for the outstanding review, I learned a ton from this!

I got the XF and am thrilled with it, it's very hard to capture its beauty in photos, it's a stunner in real life!

jasonbaylee

I'm Pretty Popular
3/2/14
Superb review, fantastic work and extremely informative.

For my eyes the XF is absolutely outstanding. No competition, when you consider everything together, dial, thickness, bracelet, hands etc. Also my personal preference as far as the gen goes is the MK3 anyway, love the grey-blue dial colour, super sexy!

DC (no relation or affiliation to the maker of the quartz 15202, lol)

I have seen the gen 15202 but it’s never grey blue dial.

dellboye

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/5/19
Great review. Thanks for taking the time to share this

Sent from my iPhone using RWI