• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Credit cards hacked

Therion666

Put Some Respect On My Name
Certified
26/12/13
I have 2 extra credit cards just for rep purchases, 1 prepaid Visa and one regular Mastercard. Both of my card accounts were hacked in the past 14 days, total damage is about 300€. Not a fortune, but I could get a nice rep for that. All hacker's purchases were made on iTunes and Deutsche bahn. Both cards were used exclusively for rep purchases from TDs.

This is partially my fault, because I could have set a sms notification for purchases, but I always tried to have these transactions private and never had bad experience before.

Lesson learned, it's only WU from now on.

So, be careful, next time it could happen to you..

Last edited:

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
I have 2 extra credit cards just for rep purchases, 1 prepaid Visa and one regular Mastercard. Both of my card accounts were hacked in the past 14 days, total damage is about 300€. Not a fortune, but I could get a nice rep for that. All hacker's purchases were made on iTunes and Deutsche bahn. Both cards were used exclusively for rep purchases from TDs.

This is partially my fault, because I could have set a sms notification for purchases, but I always tried to have these transactions private and never had bad experience before.

Lesson learned, it's only WU from now on.

So, be careful, next time it could happen to you..

How about PayPal and the likes?

SuperFranken

Horology Curious
4/6/19
Crypto payment is a good way to not be scammed in the future also. Now it's easy to buy and use it.

Reactions: rabl253

donny_soldier_

Horology Curious
26/6/19
I'm feeling some anxiety about making my first transaction for this reason...

Reading about purchasing via a TD with a good rep but their 3rd party CC processors jacking your details anyway is concerning.

I'm in the UK so privacy.com is a No - I'm unsure if I can commit to the hassle of a new credit card (as it's 1st transaction causing me problems wouldn't be fun)

I also know nothing about how to purchase & use BTC.

I'd be comfortable with PayPal but no-one is offering it as a option...

Tompa

Supporter
Certified
7/12/18
Sweden
Same thing happend to me. With my Amex. The called me from amex a couple of weeks ago and told me that i my card have been fraud. Tot 300usd in 10 different buys around the wold.. . I was lucky amex notice this and called me and we could work things out.. i never buy with cc again.. wu or pp only for me

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

WATCH HACKER

I'm Pretty Popular
MULTI ACCOUNT
24/4/19
Currently in South Hampton
I'm feeling some anxiety about making my first transaction for this reason...

Reading about purchasing via a TD with a good rep but their 3rd party CC processors jacking your details anyway is concerning.

I'm in the UK so privacy.com is a No - I'm unsure if I can commit to the hassle of a new credit card (as it's 1st transaction causing me problems wouldn't be fun)

I also know nothing about how to purchase & use BTC.

I'd be comfortable with PayPal but no-one is offering it as a option...

There are TD's offering it but not to new in this hobby, (not new to the forums) some TD's have a qualification check first before they offer it to you. Like for example you're already a old timer here in the forums with lots of post or perhaps a supporter or has a good reputation in RWI or RWG or somebody will endorse you to them, and that endorser needs to be trusted in here as well. Those are some. Of all my payment, I always use PayPal but I need to work on it first to gain the TD's trust.

Itto

Bizzarro Superman
Patron
Certified
26/9/17
The 9th gate
Same here about a month ago. Various itunes purchases, but i was able to sort things out with apple and got a full refund.

Glaude

Tech Admin
Staff member
Administrator
11/8/17
Guys, if you really want to be useful, report those situation to the TD on which you used your CC, they are probably not aware that they may have a security breach of some sort and you would help all the future buyers

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
I prefer using PayPal too, but some TDs don't have this option at all. I'm not making another CC payment to China ever again.

johnnythefox

Renowned Member
16/10/17
Interesting post as I have tried to make a purchase with a well known trusted dealer on here 2 days ago, where I tried to use 3 different CC to make payment and all were declined. The TD told me that the bank was declining the payment. I contacted Master Card and Visa who both told me that they would not be making any payment to the 3rd party CC processors as they have been blacklisted in the UK because they have had several cases of fraud and CC getting hacked and it was a definite no no. The dealer did suggest using Bitcoin, but all this is new to me, so found another deal who took WU.

Reactions: Michu

Therion666

Certified
26/12/13
Interesting post as I have tried to make a purchase with a well known trusted dealer on here 2 days ago, where I tried to use 3 different CC to make payment and all were declined. The TD told me that the bank was declining the payment. I contacted Master Card and Visa who both told me that they would not be making any payment to the 3rd party CC processors as they have been blacklisted in the UK because they have had several cases of fraud and CC getting hacked and it was a definite no no. The dealer did suggest using Bitcoin, but all this is new to me, so found another deal who took WU.

Keep an eye on your CC accounts, they may use your info after several months. The first signs are minor payments, like 0.89€. They go big after they see that the payment went through..

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
Crypto payment is a good way to not be scammed in the future also. Now it's easy to buy and use it.

I've just used it for the first time. But it really is long winded getting a coinbase account going, especially with the current Bitcoin volatility. CB made me wait 5 days before I could move my pounds into BTC. And when I'd sent the payment, it was an hour before it received sufficient confirmations for the transfer to be completed. But it is low cost, if you get the timing right...

LaraA

15/3/11
Why not call the Credit company and ask for a new card with new numbers on it ?
I do this 1-2 times a year just in case :)

greenwrist

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/6/19
Why not call the Credit company and ask for a new card with new numbers on it ?
I do this 1-2 times a year just in case :)

I believe its not your CC but the third party processing company dealers have to use. Its the processing centers that get black listed by Visa/MC etc..

I thought about using a prepaid Visa or finding a vendor that takes PayPal.

Last edited:

donny_soldier_

Horology Curious
26/6/19
I've just used it for the first time. But it really is long winded getting a coinbase account going, especially with the current Bitcoin volatility. CB made me wait 5 days before I could move my pounds into BTC. And when I'd sent the payment, it was an hour before it received sufficient confirmations for the transfer to be completed. But it is low cost, if you get the timing right...

Would you care to expand on your journey here, please?

As I said - complete novice to crypto - but am I just a youtube video & some form filling away from being able to push the button with a TD using this method...?

I notice you're UK too - I never found anything online for a prepaid visa for us (which would be perfect) that didn't again sound like loads of hassle/high fees etc! - same with WU (no way am I messing about emailing my passport etc to set an account up to purchase illegal goods from China!)

There's clearly a lot of traffic through here to TD's - but it appears to me that the likelihood of being scammed (by the CC processor, if not the TD themselves) is rather high when using CC... Am I to assume crypto is the default?

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
My card was hijacked after several unsuccessful attempts to pay a TD that I had previously used without problems, several purchases were made From next directory before my CC company blocked the card for suspicious activity, fortunately my CC refunded me without problems, but it has really put me off using a Chinese based TD purely because of the grief i had with my last attempted purchase and that was before the card got hacked.

fortunately being in the UK I've discovered KS watch, who I used for my last purchase, who take bank transfers direct to a uk bank account.

donny_soldier_

Horology Curious
26/6/19
My card was hijacked after several unsuccessful attempts to pay a TD that I had previously used without problems, several purchases were made From next directory before my CC company blocked the card for suspicious activity, fortunately my CC refunded me without problems, but it has really put me off using a Chinese based TD purely because of the grief i had with my last attempted purchase and that was before the card got hacked.

fortunately being in the UK I've discovered KS watch, who I used for my last purchase, who take bank transfers direct to a uk bank account.

Just found a few threads about them - could ping them an email.... what's their stock like? One thing about the Chinese TD's - good selection...

Spitfire63

Renowned Member
29/4/18
Just found a few threads about them - could ping them an email.... what's their stock like? One thing about the Chinese TD's - good selection...

they get stock into the UK and then post on their thread what they have, but they do do custom orders to get what ever you want, FYI the Chinese dealers don't hold much stock either, they order from the factory as you order from them, KS can get any watch that a Chinese dealer can,

Reactions: donny_soldier_

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
Would you care to expand on your journey here, please?

As I said - complete novice to crypto - but am I just a youtube video & some form filling away from being able to push the button with a TD using this method...?

I notice you're UK too - I never found anything online for a prepaid visa for us (which would be perfect) that didn't again sound like loads of hassle/high fees etc! - same with WU (no way am I messing about emailing my passport etc to set an account up to purchase illegal goods from China!)

There's clearly a lot of traffic through here to TD's - but it appears to me that the likelihood of being scammed (by the CC processor, if not the TD themselves) is rather high when using CC... Am I to assume crypto is the default?

I used to use direct bank transfers, then when the Chinese stopped those, I moved to credit cards and have used those with one of the largest TDs for a couple of years. But they often get rejected and I have to run the transaction several times to get it through. I've never had any illegal transactions on to my cards. But the hassle of rejected transactions meant I thought I'd try BTC since my TD gives a discount for using it. It was easy to open the Coinbase account. But the cryptocurrency volatility is annoying and makes it tricky, when the TD sends you the amount they want, to get it right. I did intentionally send them a little bit more on my purchase than they asked for to avoid this and sent it as soon as I could having had their email request.

In fact, in this instance it worked to my advantage. I had planned to order a NOOB Daytona with the sum I put into Coinbase, but after I'd initiated the pounds transfer from my UK bank account into Coinbase, Noob as we all know became unavailable... So, though I'd moved the pounds into BTC, I placed no order. BTC then ended up rising 30% in a few days and I began to get worried about another crash.
So I ordered a cheaper watch as a fun experiment, paid with BTC and, worried about the peak BTC had hit, moved the rest of the BTC back to pounds, in the Coinbase account where it currently remains. The result was that the watch, which is now on its way to me, didn't cost me anything except nerves!
I think overall BTC is still essentially a speculation, it dropped 20% just after my order, so needs careful timing...

Last edited: