• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Misrepresentation of a watch

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
THIS watch is NOT the same as the "Swiss" version.

People are not supposed to post to the dealers' sales threads, but I just wanted to clear up this misrepresentation of a watch. I'm not attacking a dealer (I haven't even heard of this dealer before), but I feel it's my duty to do so... for the members.

I'm sure this is not intentional from the seller, but it's definitely NOT the same watch... there might be a "Swiss" version of this rep, but this is not the great GMT IIc rep that we know.

Look at the rehaut engraving, which is symmetric on this watch... and also the different dial (look at the '6 "SWISS MADE"), bezel insert, different date font and short GMT hand. I'm not saying this is a bad replica, BUT IT'S NOT THE SAME... and it's an inferior version in almost every possible way.

takashi

Legendary Member
4/4/06
Just to add to ByTor, the known version with Asian 2836 IHS can be had for far less than 200USD too :)

JohnnySac

10/9/06
I'm glad a prominent reviewer has taken a stance on this issue...
I was going to pull the trigger until I looked closely...It doesn't even "look" the same...

Either way, this dealer has some esplaining to do....

IF he knew it wasn't the same watch (look at the circa 2002 date font) what does this say about his integrity?
IF he didn't know it wasn't the same watch.....What does that say about the QC?

I'm battling my deductive logic and common sense trying to see how this in any way could be innocent?

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
It's fully possible that the dealer didn't know. The differences are quite small after all. I'm not accusing this dealer of anything, just stating the facts.

guanaco

Mythical Poster
Advisor
16/7/07
Sidi Power Plant
Thanks By-Tor, it's good to know the differences before buying so that in the end you won't be left with a watch that will probably never see the light again.

Kahn

You're Saying I Can Sell?
31/5/08
Thanks ByTor, this is really getting to be a problem....new members will surely get sucked in with some creative wording in the descriptions. How about the others that are posted? Are the "exactly" the same case as the swiss?

brtelec

Put Some Respect On My Name
Advisor
16/8/06
Phoenix
It is not a matter of ending up with an unwearable watch. It is simply a matter of having the correct information.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
but is it A++++ ?

:|

:lol:

piratedzeus

I'm Pretty Popular
17/12/06
B y Tor have you had a look at TTk's ceramic gmt II @ 99$? maybe same watch? or not?

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
I so saw this coming.

GoatDweller said:
I'm glad a prominent reviewer has taken a stance on this issue...
I was going to pull the trigger until I looked closely...It doesn't even "look" the same...

Either way, this dealer has some esplaining to do....

IF he knew it wasn't the same watch (look at the circa 2002 date font) what does this say about his integrity?
IF he didn't know it wasn't the same watch.....What does that say about the QC?

I'm battling my deductive logic and common sense trying to see how this in any way could be innocent?

Taking a stance? I did that four months ago on the GMT CHS ad.

http://forum.replica-watch.info/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=196&t=43887

I guess I'm not that prominent. Point is intentional or not it's not new. I don't have anything against T4D and it probably is a mistake. But you guys have got to look at this the right way. When the Jandrew thing happened you could have pushed for either low prices or better QC. You pushed for lower prices. You have what you asked for and when you're dealing with a high volume low price scenario this is one of the issues that will arise. So before this turns into a 60 page bitch thread let's give T4D time to respond. I'm sure he'll be along shortly.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Ok. Compare the pics (sorry for this dirty and quick composition). The "1:1 Swiss" GMTIIc on the right. The picture doesn't show the rehaut engraving which is completely different. Same thing about the crystal/rehaut... I suspect the case is different too.

1. Different insert & bezel. Look at "22" which is crooked.
2. Different coronet & dial print
3. No "Maxi" hour hand
4. Different date font, overmagnified
5. Short GMT hand
6. Different SWISS MADE
7. Different crown

Clearly not the same watch. Not even close.

Once again: There's a chance that the dealer doesn't know. I'm not accusing anyone, just straightening this out.

gmt.jpg
gmt3.jpg

babola

I'm Pretty Popular
19/9/06
...add to that longer minute hash marks, oversized green GMT-master dial text, shorter 12 o'clock triangle market and pointier bezel grip-tips on the left one.

Either made by two different factories, or two completely different versions.

babola

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
fakemaster said:
...When the Jandrew thing happened you could have pushed for either low prices or better QC. You pushed for lower prices...

Um, "us guys" didn't remove JAndrew for the prices they were charging. We removed them for actions that were attempting to influence the prices OTHER DEALERS were charging.

Let's not lose sight of that very important distinction, shall we?

To my knowledge, we as a staff have never attempted to dictate what prices dealers charge.

fakemaster

Mythical Poster
31/5/07
Didn't say you did. But a lot of people felt they were being gouged too and took the direction of pushing for lower prices. D4M was one of them. So new dealers have been brought in to meet that desire which I don't have a problem with. That's what the form is here for. To do the will of the members. But now people are complaining that the quality is not the same. Well it can't be exactly the same. You can't have it both ways is all I'm saying. As LOS said basically, you shouldn't be using a $100 watch as a stabdard for perfection. They are what they are. Now misrepresentation is another issue. As I said I'm sure T4D will step in here to clarify the listing shortly.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
The "Ultimate" GMTIIc is truly a unique replica... one of a kind. There is only one version (with different movements) and one factory doing it. It's a magnificent rep. I don't usually get involved with anything dealers do, but I don't think it'd be fair that a member buys an inferior rep model and think they get the best version for a bargain price. I know I would be very disappointed.

The members' interests and 100% honesty from the dealers should always be the biggest concerns in this community. I know it's not always realistic, but at least we all can try.

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
By-Tor.. are you still active at RG? This seller has the exact same listings (including misrepresentations) over there (as prestigewatchco). Might want to fill in their members too so they are not misled.

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
swissaddict said:
By-Tor.. are you still active at RG? This seller has the exact same listings (including misrepresentations) over there (as prestigewatchco). Might want to fill in their members too so they are not misled.

Looks like you already quoted my post from here to that same sales thread at RG. ;) I don't have anything else to add.

swissaddict

Renowned Member
6/3/08
By-Tor said:
swissaddict said:

Looks like you already quoted my post from here to that same sales thread at RG. ;) I don't have anything else to add.
Yeah I wasn't sure if you were going to, so I copied and pasted.. gave you credit as author, though!! Wasn't trying to plagiarize! :D Anyway, thanks for bringing this to our attention.. I definitely appreciate it and will look more closely at these "SAME SWISS CASE!!" claims.