• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Nautilus date wheel project

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
Gorgeous video, gabro mate!

there has to be more of this kind of reviews to show how those pieces of art work under real life light conditions ;)

i am looking forward to the JJF DWO with the white dial as i like it a bit more for the summer.

Reactions: gabro

gabro

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
17/3/18
Gorgeous video, gabro mate!

there has to be more of this kind of reviews to show how those pieces of art work under real life light conditions ;)

i am looking forward to the JJF DWO with the white dial as i like it a bit more for the summer.
I have learned a lot from other members through the past year and thought to give back somehow. Also looking forward for JJF DW as my heart is actually set on white dial for some reason!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
I've seen who have pf rg with jjf rg dial and hands wait for this jjf dw mod. I forget the username.

d3xophen

Renowned Member
15/9/18
I forget the name but not godfather.
I also want to build like that JJF hand dial with this dw mod on PF RG.
Please update us with this dw .

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
PF w/ Prof 2AR and DWO

Easy DIY install - release bezel via four screws, pull hands, gently pry off dial. I just used four dabs of Rodico to hold the DWO and made probably a dozen adjustments to get the alignment correct.

DWO is excellent and surprisingly well made for the $. Thanks Keylog74 !

ba225b7ea4610bae664161082763c9fd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
PF w/ Prof 2AR and DWO

Easy DIY install - release bezel via four screws, pull hands, gently pry off dial. I just used four dabs of Rodico to hold the DWO and made probably a dozen adjustments to get the alignment correct.

Very nice, congratulations on a great work there! May I ask, what glue did you use to get the overlay secured to the date wheel?

And how do you test positioning? Do you stick it temporally with rodico, place the dial on top, readjust, etc?

Last but not least, did you realign the markers? They look really good for a PF!

All in all a very good job and a very nice watch you've got indeed!

Heisenberg

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
29/1/11
Very nice, congratulations on a great work there! May I ask, what glue did you use to get the overlay secured to the date wheel?

And how do you test positioning? Do you stick it temporally with rodico, place the dial on top, readjust, etc?

Last but not least, did you realign the markers? They look really good for a PF!

All in all a very good job and a very nice watch you've got indeed!

Thank you - I just used Rodico, no glue. The way the DWO is recessed there is zero friction on it so it’s strong enough.

And yes adjusted by placing the dial and cycling through the dates about 10 times. Final micro-adjustment used with dial placed, using a small hand set tool through the date window itself.

I did not realign the markers, the newer PF dials are better than the old ones. Still not perfect though - look at the dial dots and where the outer edge of the markers sit relative to them. I just didn’t want to mess with them as it looks good enough except under very close inspection. Date font was the major flaw, now corrected.

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Godfathar

I'm Pretty Popular
17/5/15
Europe
PF 5711/1R with gen dial and DW mod.

20190226_113827-01.jpg

20190226_113858-01.jpg

Since I was wearing the BP 5711R with Patek Philippe gen strap this morning, I thought a comparison with the gen dial is in order.. now this shot proofs how much effort was put in the DW mod that the guys did for the PF version.. never saw the difference until it was side by side like this.. good job BIONONE AND @keylog74

20190226_114003-01.jpg

some wristies..

20190226_114129-01.jpg

20190226_114216-01.jpg

20190226_114238-01.jpg

by far the most expensive rep I have owned.. but damn,, it's worth everyday..

majwilliams0308

Reptime Mod
Patron
Certified
11/7/16
PF 5711/1R with gen dial and DW mod.

20190226_113827-01.jpg

by far the most expensive rep I have owned.. but damn,, it's worth everyday..

You're the one who scooped that dial up!!!! I was thinking about it but honestly my thought was that you have the perfect skin tone for it haha.

Congrats, and welcome to the gen dial club lol. Completely changes the watch, right?

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
PF w/ Prof 2AR and DWO

thanks for the tip. do you have more tip for pulling hands which is not easy for inexperienced people ?

Reactions: ScuderiaPT

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
thanks for the tip. do you have more tip for pulling hands which is not easy for inexperienced people ?

Always use a protector for the dial, like this one:

You can use a paper, cut a "V" in it and use it the same as you would use the Bergeon one, anyway.

Also use a proper extraction tool, like this one:

To me, extraction is not the complicated part, but putting the hands back. It's really easy to scracth them, or bend them. As usual, use good tools like these:

And make sure of these three tihings:

1. Hands are fully pressed (you don't want a hand popping off and end up hanging right in the middle of your dial)
2. Hands are fully parallel, between them and the dial and also between themselves. Otherwise the hands will either scratch the dial, the minute hand will scratch the hour hand, or get stuck in a marker or with themselves.

See? Easy as pie. Lol. It scares the SH out of me.

Hinclimincli

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
18/12/09
I forgot to mention, in the "amateur DIY" section. If you don't have a professional tool to press the hands you can always use a pen like this:

Take the part that has the ink and you will see it's a long tube with a hole in the middle (obviously the part opposed to the tip). If you have zero patience and don't want to wait until your friendly delivery guy brings you that awesome Horotec press tool in which you spent a fortune, you can always try your luck with this :)

Ah, come on guys, raise your hands whoever has used this before (I have, with decent results!)

Reactions: vcappp and QueTip

vcappp

I'm Pretty Popular
20/6/18
Always use a protector for the dial, like this one:

You can use a paper, cut a "V" in it and use it the same as you would use the Bergeon one, anyway.

Also use a proper extraction tool, like this one:

To me, extraction is not the complicated part, but putting the hands back. It's really easy to scracth them, or bend them. As usual, use good tools like these:

And make sure of these three tihings:

1. Hands are fully pressed (you don't want a hand popping off and end up hanging right in the middle of your dial)
2. Hands are fully parallel, between them and the dial and also between themselves. Otherwise the hands will either scratch the dial, the minute hand will scratch the hour hand, or get stuck in a marker or with themselves.

See? Easy as pie. Lol. It scares the SH out of me.

wow thanks for the great tip! and useful picture references!

Reactions: Hinclimincli

Keylog74

Put Some Respect On My Name
14/6/13
Guys there have been an update!

SOON we will see a MKF date wheel very soon. Im in the process of sourcing a MKF dial and DW than will have Spongebob work with the vendor for first samples.

If someone can help with the dial would be great as sourcing from TD might take a little while.