• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

116613 LB - Noob V8 vs ARF vs JF vs VRF Max vs GMF? Winner??

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
Let me start by saying that I'm making a request to experts on this forum that can assist in putting an end to my dilemma of finding the best OOTB 116613 LB on the market currently. I'm not expecting to be "spoon fed", and yes - as an experienced member here, I have done a LOT of research in this area. However, I am still finding it difficult to make a decision on this purchase.

These would seem to be the leading contenders - is there a clear winner, and why?

http://www.trustytime.club/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=19022

http://www.trustytime.club/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=19372

http://www.trustytime.club/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=17150

http://www.trustytime.club/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=18161

http://www.trustytime.club/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=18991

stu00a

Renowned Member
Supporter
30/12/10
USA
What are your thoughts after all those researches?

And what are you trying to do? Franken?

Wrapped or plated? Fully wrapped?

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
What are your thoughts after all those researches?

And what are you trying to do? Franken?

Wrapped or plated? Fully wrapped?

My thoughts are that whichever way I go there will be have to be a compromise - it's just juggling which compromise is ultimately going to give me most of what I seek. The sunburst dial is very tough to replicate, so that is high on the list. I would prefer not to have bare SEL's but I suppose I can live with that as they are so hard to spot in the real world. The gold colour to gen is important. Not looking to franken - but whatever way I go, I will probably add a Prof black hole crystal. Not necessarily commited to a wrapped watch, but will go that way if it's the best way forward. I am leaning towards a Noob V8, but there's part of me that thinks I should be looking at SH3135. (Or maybe VRF's new 3135 will become available in their offering?). It's hard to decide.....!

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
First off, those are all pretty nice watches. You’re not going to get screwed on any of them. I’ve owned so many TT Subs I’ve lost count because I could never get one to where I was happy with it without spending stupid money. These new makers are doing a very good job with these watches, and you’re right there’s going to be a compromise somewhere along the line. Personally the deal breaker for me always has been bare sel sides. True they’re not so visible in the real world. But I knew they were there and I was always looking at them and it bugged the shit out of me. I would go VRF and a gen crystal and a spongebob insert and call it a day. The VRF dial is pretty nice as are they all. The only great dial was from Loco Louie, too bad they can’t source whoever he used.

rjk1

I'm Pretty Popular
8/12/13
ARF or vrf. They have wrapped center links, even though the colors are off from gen. Your best bet is the LN with Steve's black hole crystal.

Noob and jf don't have the sides wrapped so it's an instant tell. The gmf datewheel is so left justified it might as well disappear.

Reactions: zelor75 and vcappp

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
ARF or vrf. They have wrapped center links, even though the colors are off from gen. Your best bet is the LN with Steve's black hole crystal.

Noob and jf don't have the sides wrapped so it's an instant tell. The gmf datewheel is so left justified it might as well disappear.

As per the thread title, I'm looking for the best LB, not LN - but thanks for the comments.

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
First off, those are all pretty nice watches. You’re not going to get screwed on any of them. I’ve owned so many TT Subs I’ve lost count because I could never get one to where I was happy with it without spending stupid money. These new makers are doing a very good job with these watches, and you’re right there’s going to be a compromise somewhere along the line. Personally the deal breaker for me always has been bare sel sides. True they’re not so visible in the real world. But I knew they were there and I was always looking at them and it bugged the shit out of me. I would go VRF and a gen crystal and a spongebob insert and call it a day. The VRF dial is pretty nice as are they all. The only great dial was from Loco Louie, too bad they can’t source whoever he used.

Thanks Ruprekt - the VRF seems a good call, but I have seem some pictures of the VRF dial that look truly awful - but equally, some of them seem okay. Is that the transition to the "max" version maybe??

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
Thanks Ruprekt - the VRF seems a good call, but I have seem some pictures of the VRF dial that look truly awful - but equally, some of them seem okay. Is that the transition to the "max" version maybe??

That’s where the QC pictures come into play. Close ups of the dial for sure. Also the blue dial can change its hue and tone with the lighting a lot. Ive seen lots of great looking VRF photos. If I didn’t have my Loco Louie that’s the one I’d get. You could always upgrade the watch too. I’ve been on the hunt for a gen dial for ages. They’re an exchange part so there’s rarely anything out there. Same for the bezel insert, but I found one of those at a good price. Food for thought...

Reactions: KJ2020

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
As per my post, there is no good LB. But thanks for the comment.

Your post didn't actually say that though did it? No need to be snarky, I thanked you for your comments in good faith. Merry Xmas.

andyc

Nitimur in vetitum
Certified
4/6/10
That’s where the QC pictures come into play. Close ups of the dial for sure. Also the blue dial can change its hue and tone with the lighting a lot. Ive seen lots of great looking VRF photos. If I didn’t have my Loco Louie that’s the one I’d get. You could always upgrade the watch too. I’ve been on the hunt for a gen dial for ages. They’re an exchange part so there’s rarely anything out there. Same for the bezel insert, but I found one of those at a good price. Food for thought...

Many thanks! By the way, have you heard about the "EX" version that some ex-employees from VRF were supposedly putting together? (Although I hear that VRF are back in business, so maybe this has gone away...?)

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
I think this was just them continuing their thing while they were reorganizing.

domsdaddy123

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
6/8/15
So, you are trying to figure the best ceramic TT bluesy? The short answer is they all suck.

They all suck.

This hobby being so absolutely subjective, my idea of suck might be different than your idea of suck, so to try and give some perspective of my idea of Suck, in in relation to two things.

First, all stock TT bluesy suck in comparison to how accurate and amazing other reps can be. There are some amazing ootb reps out there that would fool 99% of watch affecinados on the wrist..Theres also the ever growing nwbig list and a long list of super reps. All TT bluesy's suck compared to these...

Second, my definition of suck also has to do with what flaws I can live with and what I can't. What flaws can be overcome with modding or frankening and how inaccurate a piece is overall. Personally, for me, anything I wear has to pass the gen owner glance test. If a gen bluesy owner happened to just glance at the watch from a few feet away, to me it has to be good enough to look legit enough that they would think gen. All these bluesys look nothing close to the real thing. Anyone who has ever spent anytime with the real deal would be able to tell its a fake watch from many feet away..they all look nothing like the real deal.

Now, if you are OK with this, and you are not trying to pull this off as gen, then my advise is to buy the cheapest one. Again, it doesnt really matter they all suck.

lastly, if you want something to franken, get one with a 3135 case and fully wrapped side sel bracelet. Honestly, this is a extreamely expensive reference to franken, my advise is just get the gen...but if you have a line on parts, try to find a 3135 v6s case and whichever one of these models that has a fully wrapped side sel bracelet.. I think the VRF does..but again, eventually you will want a gen bracelet and clasp.. the fully wrapped is better than nothing but its a million miles away from a gen rolex 18k TT clasp and bracelet..

I hope this helps. Also, these all suck so bad and are so $$ to franken, its why you see most TT sub frankens as 16613's..still expensive but much much less to get an accurate to gen look than the ceramics...

good luck!

Dan8888

Known Member
13/2/16
Since any of these watch has its pros and cons, just build it yourself!

I'm thinking about this build:
  • v6s (basically, a dream...) / v9 3135 case,
  • wrapped bracelet (BP maybe?),
  • VRF insert (not sure if it's the best, tho...) with paint mod,
  • gen crystal,
  • gen datewheel,
  • Noob v8 dial

Last edited:

Ruprekt

I'm Pretty Popular
18/11/10
VRF base watch/BK dwo/Spongebob insert/gen crystal plus assembly and your probably about +/- $1500 for a great rep. Stick to the tried and true eta base movement and it’ll last you many years to come.

Reactions: KJ2020