• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is a Rep Factory Like????

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
cybee said:
seanf said:
There's nothing illegal or improper about creating movements. But the movement itself isn't illegal.

could be debatable considering the purpose of some of the movements is to create a false impression that a watch has a "genuine swiss" movement. Illegal or not they are doing a steller job at deception.

Two points to that. First off, I'm not sure that what we call an "Asian ETA Clone" would violate any copyright or patent laws. The reason being is that I'm not sure the standard ETA movement itself is protected. It may or it may not be. It depends on a couple of things (including whether they filed for a patent, how long they've had the patent, etc.). Which leads to the second point, and once the rep makers start putting cosmetic changes on the movement (like stamping ETA on them), then yes, that clearly violates copyright law. But that's not something you can lay at the feet of the movement manufacturer.

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
everything illegal or should be!

like even prices of gens!!

wilsdorf, for instance, ricest watch dead guy!

It may or it may not be...

Life is Good!

Klink

:D

supermanx

I'm Pretty Popular
Advisor
27/6/06
I beleive I've read that the patents that ETA had covering most of the 28 series ran out sometime greater then 10 years ago. There are a few well respected companies looking at replicating (at least in size and function) most of the 28 series (2824, 2836, 2892/3) now that ETA plans to stop supplying. These new movements while not cheap will be direct drop ins for their eta counter parts.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
I guess there is no patent on music either...heck they even have the same music as Lange. Another slap on the western face...nuttin nobody can do bout it, they are the Chinese. :?

http://www.tjseagull.com/index.html

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
the characteristics of a rep factory are just like us, anthropomorphically speaking. :?

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
cybee said:
the characteristics of a rep factory are just like us, anthropomorphically speaking. :?

What-- dirty, squalid, and in violation of numerous health and safety laws (to say nothing of the whole child labor thing)?

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
seanf said:
cybee said:

What-- dirty, squalid, and in violation of numerous health and safety laws (to say nothing of the whole child labor thing)?

yes LoL...and midgets too.

speedster

23/10/07
Interesting topic this. Fella at work and I have often said tongue in cheek that it will be some 5 year putting them together, possibly not too far off the mark. Is that a good thing or bad though? I mean, it gives them an income source. Obviously would be disappointing to hear of them getting whipped and finger nails pulled out but WHERES MY FCUKING MONTBLANC TIMEWALKER I WANT IT YESTERDAY!
The above is said in jest of course. :lol: I hope everyone takes it that way.

I dont buy the whole "funding terrorism" thing.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Well, you're not funding terrorism, but you are, more likely than not, funding the Chinese Triads. We like to think of Josh and Andrew as friendly and helpful middle management types. But the reality is that they are, in all probability, funded by the Chinese Triad or other gang money. There is a lot of money to be made in reps, and it is a criminal enterprise (even in China). So it's a little niave to think that we're just helping Josh to pay for his kids' medical bills or something.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
seanf said:
Well, you're not funding terrorism, but you are, more likely than not, funding the Chinese Triads.

It was rumoured that the Tong wars in the 1920's were initiated due to different opinions on who made the best Sub...don't know if that was true or not.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
cybee said:
seanf said:
Well, you're not funding terrorism, but you are, more likely than not, funding the Chinese Triads.

It was rumoured that the Tong wars in the 1920's were initiated due to different opinions on who made the best Sub...don't know if that was true or not.

Cybee, that's just an urban legend. Everyone knows that the Triad Wars started because of a lume shortage. The gangs exacerbated things by hoarding China's only supply of C1 Superlume.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
fakemaster said:
You know I thought my post was hilarious.

Um, well.....

Uh, Cybee, why don't you respond to this one? Because I have to go. To the emergency room. Because my, um, spleen ruptured. Yeah. Ouch. In pain. Must go. Blood on keyboard.

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
I really did not think it looked like the picture that Fake sent. I was under the impression there was a bit more QC to it. Like a bunch of watchmakers making watches in a 50 seat watchsmith shop.

Maxlove

29/6/08
Both Klink and I fought in the Tong wars of the 20's and please.....we are called "Little People" not midgets.

Years later I went to the Bean Bag tournament in Paris...many people were killed.

I defy any one of you to sit in a Replica factory for 6 weeks and tell me it isn't fun!

Love this thread but will they be laughing in GZ!

Klink

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
15/3/06
finally we were able to emigrate to the west.. helped by facial rice powder and stilts.. where we started an

import export business.. everything authentic genuine... well... you know!

:D