• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Entire line of APs from JF will be updated

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Here is my standard response to questions about the new JF cyclops and DWs.
"I like the Mike DW better than the JF copy of the Mike DW. For the SE JF scanned the Mike DW and reproduced it on a semi-gloss white base. This means the numbers are a little fuzzier, the alignment is poorer (look at 26 in particular), and the base color is wrong (it should be ivory). They also scanned MIke's modern font DW for the 44mm models. Same problems.
I like the Prof V2 cyclops better than the JF copy of the Prof cyclops. The Prof has less surface reflection and less anamorphosis."
Addendum:
In the end, I like that JF is following our suggestions for improvement. But I do not like that they scanned Mike's DWs. I think they could have done a better job with both DW and cyclops.
In the end, these updates are nice for those who do not want to do the usual mods. But the JF updated DW and cyclops are not as good as the aftermarket parts from Prof and Mikey. You will still need these aftermarket parts if you want the best possible replica of whatever AP model.

SuperLory

Well-Known Repist
22/10/15
"I like the Mike DW better than the JF copy of the Mike DW. For the SE JF scanned the Mike DW and reproduced it on a semi-gloss white base. This means the numbers are a little fuzzier, the alignment is poorer (look at 26 in particular), and the base color is wrong (it should be ivory). They also scanned MIke's modern font DW for the 44mm models. Same problems.
I like the Prof V2 cyclops better than the JF copy of the Prof cyclops. The Prof has less surface reflection and less anamorphosis."
Addendum:
In the end, I like that JF is following our suggestions for improvement. But I do not like that they scanned Mike's DWs. I think they could have done a better job with both DW and cyclops.
In the end, these updates are nice for those who do not want to do the usual mods. But the JF updated DW and cyclops are not as good as the aftermarket parts from Prof and Mikey. You will still need these aftermarket parts if you want the best possible replica of whatever AP model.

Nail on the coffin.

Buy and live happy, but if you intend to mod even 1 thing then you should (IMHO) address all the flaws. And the new cyclops + dw can't be left so

spursian

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
1/7/14
Addendum:

This^^.

After comparing the SE with my modded pieces, they are still worlds apart. I guess one will only appreciate when they compare a Mikey DW + Prof/MK3 cyclops with the updated JF enhancements. Despite the improvements, I will still mod my pieces.

Oh, one more thing. JF finally updated the logo on the 2017 44mm RG. Good on them.

reppin

Renowned Member
27/5/12
waiting for them to update logo on the ceramic 44 which had the wrong logo

QueTip

Super Duper Galactic NutSwinging BootyGrabbin Mod
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
They should've scanned gen wheels :hehehe:

Reactions: SuperLory

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
+1 A scan of a gen DW would have made alot more sense.
Here is a comparison photo: Mike on left, JF on right:
E4UGNJl.jpg

Reactions: mech500 and QueTip

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
And a gen for comparison
8169785gross.jpg

Reactions: catalzzy

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14
See the difference? Exactly

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
JF has technology to copy like for like. easier to copy the mikey date wheel than use a gen and align to fit 7750. pure laziness. wonder if mikey gets a free watch for his effort.

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
False. Steeper angle of tachy will solve it, that's the current custom tachy mod solution.

Thanks for that. Good to know. I always thought “custom” tachy meant shaving Rep tachy to suit. So who makes customs steep angle tachy’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
False. Steeper angle of tachy will solve it, that's the current custom tachy mod solution.

disagree. steeper angle takes away the symmetry. create a gap at 3 and you create a gap and 6 9 12 then its another flaw. only solution is a new movement

QueTip

Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
3/6/14

Which makes an already horribly off watch like the stock rep APs even worse.

Reactions: voodoorich

TheDonSL

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/13
I get how everyone wants 100% gen. Don’t take this the wrong way please, believe me I want gen too, but I’m not as anal about the tachy or hand pinion, etc. I get it, do those mods along with everything else and it’s almost flawless.

What I don’t get is where everyone is wearing their watches that they are so afraid someone is going to call them out for the tachy or date wheel position or something else.

Take this story for example.. my buddy has a modded titanium Schumacher. I believe the only mod he did was the dial color. So, no cyclops, no date wheel, I don’t even think he changed the crystal, but I could be wrong on that. No hand pinion mod, no tachy shaving, no LWO, etc. He actually bumped into a Gen owner of the same titanium Schumacher. I know what you’re thinking, what are the chances right? Lol

Anyways, the gen owner was so impressed by the replica and cost and couldn’t believe how good it was. The gen owner didn’t even know to look for the hand pinion, dw position, or even dw font/size for that matter. The only thing the gen owner expressed in his emotion was feeling silly for spending so much money on a gen watch when the rep is nearly identical.

Here is a photo of their encounter below. The rep owner is a very famous member btw, perhaps someone has seen a previous post on this. Not sure if he went into this much detail as him and I did live when he told me the story.

4bb4aa5f5f5a113d447b5d6cc81ceaba.png

Here is my modded one for comparison with additional mods done.

e6928c3e5d8dd6ff206f4187fc26fa04.png
57e19c226c50b4a16992c30009458b1f.png

All I’m saying is I don’t understand how some people whether it’s noobs or long term members get that turned off by a watch that is released so close to the real thing for a fraction of the cost. It’s as if they feel JF owes them something they get so mad. Can JF fix it? Sure they can, but they may not want to for various reasons. If it upsets one so much, I don’t understand all the bitching and negative comments/complaining on various threads. Simply go out and buy the gen and don’t worry about what JF and China are doing in the rep world or set a plan or goal and mod to your satisfaction and enjoy the watch if you want it that badly.

The Sincere threads are a big example of this. Puretime and JF did an amazing job, sure there are flaws, but one can mod them and correct most if not all if they wanted to. I just don’t understand how some people say “the watch is not gen, I’m not buying it and cancelling my order” then go about knocking everyone else’s watch who is enjoying it so much. The accomplishments many members have achieved in this community are amazing and I am very grateful for that and RWI.

I just think some are being unrealistic and unfair expecting a $30,000 watch for $600 100% gen or they are upset. Instead of complaining, do something about it, remain positive and mod the watch or set a goal to save some money and buy the gen. The most successful people do not complain. Perhaps some can learn from this and look at what modders have accomplished in setting their goals and achieving them.

Just my two cents...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk