• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can you pronounce Panerai?

sssurfer

Known Member
15/3/06
monkeigh said:
And on topic the dialects in Italy are very strong. Panerai will sound a lot different spoken by an Italian from Firenze or from Milan or Rome.
Nope.

Italian dialects do not differ so much in the pronounce of names.

And Firenze and Roma speechs are not dialects but just inflections.

And I am completely dialect-free -- or at last I was, when I recorded those words.
Evidence: ask your Italian contacts if they can guess which Italian city (or region) I am from.

monkeigh

Horology Curious
10/5/07
she could not hear any accent (maybe accent is the better word instead of dialect), a perfect Italian :)

But she also said it was not an Firenze accent, and that is what I meant. We should try to find the Firenze accent as that is where the company comes from.
(although she doesn't agree, she thinks it should be spoken in a more official Italian, like you did)

sssurfer

Known Member
15/3/06
monkeigh said:
But she also said it was not an Firenze accent, and that is what I meant. We should try to find the Firenze accent as that is where the company comes from.
Firenze accent differs from 'official' Italian almost only in the pronounce of 'T' and 'hard C' (like in 'can'). Both they become much smoother in Firenze accent: 'T' becomes 'TH', and 'C' becomes 'H'.
In all the words 'Panerai', 'Radiomir', 'Luminor', 'Officine', 'Marina militare', there is only one 'T' in 'militare'. So, the only difference that you would hear if those words were pronounced in Firenze accent would be sort of 'milithare', rather than the way i pronounced it.

Believe me. :)

Hambone

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
24/11/06
Pan-aire-eye........Thats they correct way to pronounce it according to many a European and AD store consultant.

Zippie

Looking Around
1/9/07
sssurfer said:
monkeigh said:
Firenze accent differs from 'official' Italian almost only in the pronounce of 'T' and 'hard C' (like in 'can'). Both they become much smoother in Firenze accent: 'T' becomes 'TH', and 'C' becomes 'H'.
In all the words 'Panerai', 'Radiomir', 'Luminor', 'Officine', 'Marina militare', there is only one 'T' in 'militare'. So, the only difference that you would hear if those words were pronounced in Firenze accent would be sort of 'milithare', rather than the way i pronounced it.

Believe me. :)
I believe you. I am not a native Italian but I come there very often to visit my relatives. I always notice the H for C when I am in Tuscany. Sort of: La mia hasa e la tua hasa. Very strange. What I also heard was that people from Firenze spoke the most accent free Italian. I don't now if you agree with that one.

tech

umanami
9/5/06
sheeeeit....take a trip to sicilia...

biscotti - beezs kottee becomes beesh gotti

isji89

Banned
22/10/07
I also want to know the correct pronounation thank you!!

Matt Watch

I'm Pretty Popular
12/7/07
Good stuff - I now have my three year old sounding out each brand in my collection.

WatchDog

Banned
16/12/07
Tomato Tomato...

Oops, I guess that doesn't really work when you type it :lol:

I say it's pronounced however you pronounce it. If your American, say it like an American.

Reminds me of all the Porsche pronunciation arguments I've had.

jallaballa

Known Member
23/6/07
To me it sounded more like Panerai :p The way you would pronounce it in Norwegian is actually not that far from the Italian...

Hambone

Banned
24/11/06
How do you pronounce Panerai?

"Poosie-Mag-Net" 8)