• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Custom rolex dial - new project

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
Hi guys,

I'm taking a rather diffrent approach with this build. It's for a friend of mine ( girl ) and i'm planning to give it as a bithday gift.

I need some advice if you find this interestig or not ?

Here is a simulation of what i have in mind:

EwltEi2.jpg

I am planning to use an ARF with a gen dial, gen DW, gen crystal and gen hands.

As for how exactly i'm gonna apply the image on the dial, i have a few ideas i'm going to play around with.
So, what do you think ? I'd love to hear some opinions.

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
bigger pic
(edit) : discard

Attachments

• photo30987.jpg
    photo30987.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 5

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
EwltEi2.jpg

Sent from the RWI App

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
to each their own.. personally i think its crass and pathetic and i would be embarrassed for anyone wearing such a thing

a bit like that "fuck em" submariner

Reactions: Spatiumtemporis

nikoel

I'm Pretty Popular
22/2/16
Personally I would have went with the version where the dwarfs are snorting the cocaine off her body; but I like your conservative approach too. Talk to Yuki, he seems to be able to get these kinds of dials made. It may be cheaper just to gift cocaine though ;)

BIONONE

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/4/17
I think it would be an option to pad-print the motive onto the dial but for that you need very accurate machines and etched plates with the different layers/ colors of the picture itself.

additionally you have to get rid of the stick hour markers and as it should be a gen dial i think it is kinda tricky to get them off and on and print on the dial and reassemble everything without getting marks of this work on it...

another option would be to let somebody paint it by hand. This is very difficult and it would cost a lot... but so the pad printing do haha

I don't know your budget but the customization of a gen dial would be less dramatic if you mess up a rep dial hehe

blackboxes

Advisor/Supporter
Advisor
31/5/15
I like that idea - would be excited to see what options there are on customizing imagery like this on the dial. :)

sishac

Known Member
5/2/07
I personally love the idea of a personalized dial!! I also like the cartoon dial....have you considered a water based transfer like you would use with a model airplane? I know some have been successful in making dial transfers.

Sent from my iPhone using RWI

Stuvetjee

Russian Spambot Sales Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
3/3/14
NL / Schweizer
I personally love the idea of a personalized dial!! I also like the cartoon dial....have you considered a water based transfer like you would use with a model airplane? I know some have been successful in making dial transfers.

this ^

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
to each their own.. personally i think its crass and pathetic and i would be embarrassed for anyone wearing such a thing

a bit like that "fuck em" submariner

Thanks for the input mate. Do you find the image to be an embarrasment or the custom dial ideea ?

Personally I would have went with the version where the dwarfs are snorting the cocaine off her body; but I like your conservative approach too. Talk to Yuki, he seems to be able to get these kinds of dials made. It may be cheaper just to gift cocaine though ;)

Haha

Sent from the RWI App

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
I think it would be an option to pad-print the motive onto the dial but for that you need very accurate machines and etched plates with the different layers/ colors of the picture itself.

additionally you have to get rid of the stick hour markers and as it should be a gen dial i think it is kinda tricky to get them off and on and print on the dial and reassemble everything without getting marks of this work on it...

another option would be to let somebody paint it by hand. This is very difficult and it would cost a lot... but so the pad printing do haha

I don't know your budget but the customization of a gen dial would be less dramatic if you mess up a rep dial hehe

Pad printing would be the best ideea of course but very hard to achieve by me. The results however would be gen like print quality so to say.
As for the markers, i'll try to take them off and putting them back after. I'll do sone trials on rep dials first.

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16

That's exactly what i was thinking of . There are some film free waterslide transfer papers out there that might do the job. Still figuring out if i need an inkjet or a laser printer for it to work.

alessandri

I'm Pretty Popular
28/10/15
bigger pic
(edit) : discard

I dont really like the image, but I like the idea.
As others have said, pad printing is really the way, but expensive for a single dial. The water slide may work, but You will need some custom settings and new printer drivers to get any clarity that small.
Good luck, I hope you can do it.

RepPossessed

The UK dealer
Trusted Dealer
10/11/15
N. Ireland
Thanks for the input mate. Do you find the image to be an embarrasment or the custom dial ideea ?

Haha

Sent from the RWI App

I can just imagine someone saying hey nice watch and then saying... is that snow white snorting coke?? then thinking... why?

I just dont see the point, at all, maybe its lost on me i dunno

Dont get me wrong im not adverse to cocaine, but i just cant fathom why anyone would think thats a cool thing to do by putting a picture of snow white snorting coke onto a (fake) rolex.

Ive seen a dj with a star wars dial and mickey mouse dial, but i dont see the message this is trying to give.

maybe a teenager who has just started taking coke might think its badass.

Spatiumtemporis

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
7/8/16
I dont really like the image, but I like the idea.
As others have said, pad printing is really the way, but expensive for a single dial. The water slide may work, but You will need some custom settings and new printer drivers to get any clarity that small.
Good luck, I hope you can do it.

thanks, i'm looking for a hi-res printer, Hope it can do the job.