• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What is the most easily recognizable of all Rolex watches?

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
By-Tor brought me to an interesting point with a comment on my explorer I review:
What is the most easily recognizable of all Rolex watches?
The more classic datejust/daydate line, or the Sportsmodels like Sub, SD, Explorer...

Discuss! :D

jfreeman420

Known Member
28/7/06
Although many people may think it is the submariner because it is the most replicated watch, the President is the most recognizable by far. When people talk about a "Rolex link" or "Rolex design" jewelry it is always modeled after the president bracelet. There are countless rolex design bracelets, necklaces and rings for sale and it is a timeless design.

I have more people ask me what kind of watch my yachtmaster, daytona and sub is. When I wear a president most people say "nice Rolex".

pugwash

Mythical Poster
30/4/07
All-gold Pres. It's the one almost everyone thinks when you say "Rolex".

By-Tor

I'm Pretty Popular
16/3/06
Yeah, the Prez or TT Datejust. Almost everyone notices them as Rolexes... Submariner doesn't come even close. I think even the "Bond" Seamaster or TAG Link get recognized as well as the Sub around my neck of woods.

DateJust is also THE Rolex for the old people. I don't see younger generation buying those a lot.

This is not based on any facts... just my "gut feeling" from where I live. Maybe it's different in the States.

vantri

Known Member
10/5/07
DJ, DD, Exp, YM, Sub, etc while all very recognizable I'm of the opinion that the Subs are most scrutinized by everyone as reps whether by gen owners or not. It's ashame because if I were to eventually get into one gen it would be a Sub model.

Who do you think spends more time spotting reps....Rep Owners or gen Owners???

hooligan

Mythical Poster
Advisor
24/6/06
pugwash said:
All-gold Pres. It's the one almost everyone thinks when you say "Rolex".

Gotta agree with Pugs on this. 99.99% of all non-WIS' would picture an all gold Pres when you say the word "Rolex".

AllergyDoc

I'm Pretty Popular
3/5/07
Sub

I'm weighing in with the Sub.

I was at a conference this weekend with 500 other people. I saw 6 or 7 subs, one DJ, and one Panerai. I wore my GMT.

But I admit, Subs are usually fitted for wearing over the wrist itself and not the end of the forearm. The opposite is true for most dress watches, like the DJ and Pres. They more easy to hide under a sleeve.

jiro

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
10/12/06
sub is more popular but DD & DJ are fat more recongnizable IMO

D

d4m.test

agree dd/dj are more recognizable even my brother- and sister-in-laws rave about their dj with jubilee bracelet, said the jubilee is a rolex trademark and i have to own one. they know nothing about the sports models.

-bk

Jumbie

15/5/07
By-Tor said:
DateJust is also THE Rolex for the old people. I don't see younger generation buying those a lot.

This is not based on any facts... just my "gut feeling" from where I live. Maybe it's different in the States.
I don't know but personally I'd go with the DateJust (smooth bezel) and I'm 27 years old.

Like the Explorer II or Yachtmaster as well.

Don't really like the sub.

As for the original question, I have really no opinion as I'm not too versed in Rollies.

rosnik

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/5/07
BMW.
It's sure DJ .
The every more sold Rolex in the world.
Only young peoples and Rolex lovers know the sportive types.

hk45ca

Legendary Member
Advisor
17/3/06
defiantly date just and day date. you can see the bracelet from 20 feet away and you already know what it is. when you say rolex those watches are what comes to the minds of the public.

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Don't think there's any question-- gold and silver Datejust with Jubilee bracelet and mag window. Can't stand 'em myself--mainly because they've been so copied and ripped off by everyone from Timex to Seiko to Fossil. I prefer a simple Sub, but, with the exception of the date mag bubble, I think many people wouldn't even necessarily think it's a Rolex, at least until they see it up close.

joeyz400

I saved a ton of $$$
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/8/06
People say "ROLEX" and I think this :D
1191904oq9.jpg

seanf

Mythical Poster
Advisor
29/11/06
Joey, you've got some SERIOUS bling going on there.

joeyz400

I saved a ton of $$$
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/8/06
It is an acquired sickness :lol: I love all my Rolexes, Yachtmasters and Subs as well.

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
"What is the most easily recognizable of all Rolex watches?"

I would have to say reps are the most recognizable Rolex.. lol.. :lol:

Sorry... I'm a rolex hater.. :roll:

But seriously, I would have to say.. hmm.. A SS Datejust. IMO.

Blandford

You're Saying I Can Sell?
26/11/06
.....the consensus emerging from the Posts thus far favour the DJ/DD as being the most easily recognisable Rollies, so how come the Sportline models are ahead in the poll? :shock:

I would interested to hear from those who have voted that way !!

Blandford

SD4K

Renowned Member
25/10/06
The submariner is at least that recognisable, Klaus Kleinfeld (CEO of Siemens AG) has had it retouched away for a magazine-cover:
kleinfeld.jpg

:roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: