• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Blancpain Fifty Fathoms - Noob v1 vs ZF v1

firemedic1343

Known Member
9/6/17
Don't you think ZF is superior ?

Have to switch them back in my list then ?
I don't think Noob is making these anymore, he gave the rights to ZF.

It also seems like a toss up as to which is better, QC being the big variable.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
This one seems well aligned (ZF)...

image.png

asiparks

30/5/08
standout* difference for me is the shape of the bezel teeth, on the ZF the cutouts appear to have almost straight, parallel sides, whereas on the V1 the sides converge slightly towards the bottom,as they do on the gen.
That aside it seems to be an excellent rep.

img_5997-jpg.56436

* standout might be too strong a term.....

cleebeauregard

Renowned Member
Supporter
Certified
12/1/15
Really, you can’t go wrong with either the current NOOB or the ZF. After all, even with the minor flaws, these are superb replicas of a great watch that just keeps growing on you. Most of the watches in my box lose their appeal to me over time, be they rep or genuine, but every now and then one comes along that you like better and better the more time you spend with it. For me, some of the vintage Rolexes and Omegas are like that, as are some of the simpler Pateks and APs. I guess that’s why they call ‘em classics...and the BPFF is a classic.

firemedic1343

Known Member
9/6/17
Really, you can’t go wrong with either the current NOOB or the ZF. After all, even with the minor flaws, these are superb replicas of a great watch that just keeps growing on you. Most of the watches in my box lose their appeal to me over time, be they rep or genuine, but every now and then one comes along that you like better and better the more time you spend with it. For me, some of the vintage Rolexes and Omegas are like that, as are some of the simpler Pateks and APs. I guess that’s why they call ‘em classics...and the BPFF is a classic.

Well said.

I have walked past this watch many times. However, today I decided to try it on. The Gen is fantastic. It's a beautiful piece, pictures don't do it any justice.

It's just a matter of when for me. I will likely order soon. But I think I want blue!

vanquish0000

17/11/12
Thank you for the comparison, extremely useful. I agree with the bezel teeth of zf looks a bit off, but overall both are high quality rep.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
I just received my ZF and it is bonkers beautiful!
I noted a couple of things: there is no way I could get this Seagull/ Peacock 2836 to go higher than 280 degrees amplitude, no matter how well I clean and oil it. Maybe I'll have to install a gen mainspring...
The bezel was installed with typical gooey chinese grease. After cleaning and regreasing. it feels and clicks like pure luxury :)
I am amazed how this watch is built.
Also the crown felt stiff. I noticed the winding stem was under pressure when installed. This could be resolved when loosening one of the movement holding screws.
Now it works very smooth :)
Everything else is perfectly aligned and I love the AR

Bigjaymofo

Known Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
29/5/17
Just received the ZF. Beautiful watch. Very hard to tell if the 2 in the 12 is aligned properly. It even looks off on the gen.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
This ZF is the frigging tits. I don't know if I ever enjoyed a watch that much before if I'm honest.
Here are some quick pics for your amusement :)

dsc_0027.jpg
dsc_0020.jpg
dsc_0010.jpg
dsc_0013.jpg
dsc_0012.jpg

ryuhell

Horology Curious
7/10/13
I just received my ZF and it is bonkers beautiful!
I noted a couple of things: there is no way I could get this Seagull/ Peacock 2836 to go higher than 280 degrees amplitude, no matter how well I clean and oil it. Maybe I'll have to install a gen mainspring...
The bezel was installed with typical gooey chinese grease. After cleaning and regreasing. it feels and clicks like pure luxury :)
I am amazed how this watch is built.
Also the crown felt stiff. I noticed the winding stem was under pressure when installed. This could be resolved when loosening one of the movement holding screws.
Now it works very smooth :)
Everything else is perfectly aligned and I love the AR
What did you use to remove the bezel?

Sent from the RWI App

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
What did you use to remove the bezel?

Sent from the RWI App
Fairly easy. Carefully pry it off with a knife similirar how you yould remove a submariner bezel.
I don't know if this is true for the noob.
I had to remove mine, because the ratchet spring was broken.

Phener9

5/4/13
Wrexham, Wales
Thanks JackJ1980 great review can I ask your opinion of the deployment clasp, for me this is going to be a useful addition to the watch, I have nearly dropped the slippery sail cloth a few times now.
I have been waiting for the Ocean Blue ZF to be released for a couple of months now and hopping it has the outer dial engraving missing from the Noob
Thanks maxracingshox for the maintenance/modification tips, there something to consider.

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
The deplo is a little hard to work but should get better as it ages. Like a tight bezel.

JackJ1980

Mythical Poster
20/6/16
The deplo is a little hard to work but should get better as it ages. Like a tight bezel.

maxracingshox

I'm Pretty Popular
17/7/12
I just wanted to let you know that I found some 20 degrees of amplitude by adjusting the balance end shake.
Somehow I experienced too tight balance end shake on almost all eta clones I have worked on. The yuki 3135 definitely has an advantage here ;)
I just wanted to let you know in case you wonder why you are getting a low amplitude, even though everything is clean and oiled :)

Edit:
Oh and the winding stem was slightly too long putting pressure on the movement when fully screwed on. After shortening it a bit the crown action is so much smoother.