• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Can you pronounce Panerai?

dawg

I'm Pretty Popular
1/1/07
Some say it's pronounced like this "pan - err - ray" (to rhyme with lingerie). I think the correct way is "pan - err - rye". What about Officine Panerai? Try this "off - itch - een - eh, pan - err - rye" Better leave it to the Italians to pronounce it correctly. If you want to hear a true Italian pronounce it listen HERE

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
I was looking for that audio to sticky it in the Panerai section.
Thanks for finding it. :)

dawg

I'm Pretty Popular
1/1/07
daytona4me said:
I was looking for that audio to sticky it in the Panerai section.
Thanks for finding it. :)

No problem glad to help. I know that there alot of people that purchase pams but don't know how to pronounce it. I thought this might help a little.

ob_1

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/5/06
Good info, thnx dawges
I have heard people say "pain ray" in the US. Being bilingual, I knew it was not the right pronunciation
But what about some other great watches with french or german names:
Jaeger Le Coultre?
TAG Heuer (I've been told it's pronounced "hoy er")
Breitling
Audemars Piguet

Hey, who knows when this knowledge may be useful. If ever buying a gen perhaps at an AD or maybe when just trying to sound sophisticated in a conversation. [smilie=laughing7.gif]
[smilie=occasion14.gif]

Hyster

29/7/06
[/quote]

Good stuff, especially the Rolex sound bite. :)[/quote]

Rik Mayall's voice I think, hes a very funny guy.

Novesh

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/06
I actually had a convo about this w/ anubis.

When your sober its - Pan-nar-I

When drunk its - Pan-Yawr-I

For the added pirate.

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
dawg said:
Some say it's pronounced like this "pan - err - ray" (to rhyme with lingerie). I think the correct way is "pan - err - rye". What about Officine Panerai? Try this "off - itch - een - eh, pan - err - rye" Better leave it to the Italians to pronounce it correctly. If you want to hear a true Italian pronounce it listen HERE

...is just me or does it sound like a Frenchman with french accent pronouncing an Italian word? maybe because it's owned by Richemont? ..oui? :shock:

horologie_unitas

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/12/06
we also should have the texan pronounciation of Panerai in the Panny section....funny

Glashuette...the very famous german UMLAUTs....that almost no american can pronounce...i must admitt...its pretty hard !!

sssurfer

Known Member
15/3/06
About 1 year ago I posted this on RWG.
I seem unable to make an attachement to this post here, so I can only give you the link.

There is genuine Italian pronunciation from a genuine Italian member.
In that mp3 I say:
OFFICINE PANERAI RADIOMIR LUMINOR MARINA MILITARE
(Apologies for not-so-good quality. I couldn't find my microphone, so I had to record it in my mobile phone and convert it afterwards.)

http://www.rwg.cc/members/index.php?showtopic=1729

daytona4me

sorry who are
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
4/3/06
Thanks SSSURFER.
The more resources the better! :)

janpas

You're Saying I Can Sell?
10/9/06
Think the guy speaking the words officine panerai is a German, defenately not a Frenchman.

sssurfer

Known Member
15/3/06
janpas said:
Think the guy speaking the words officine panerai is a German, defenately not a Frenchman.
I can't just understand what Frenchs (or Germans, for that's sake) have to do with it.
Officine Panerai used to be an Italian brand. Even after Richemont-Vendome ate them, pronouncing those words is supposed to stay Italian style.

monkeigh

Horology Curious
10/5/07
marinamm20 said:

I think these are all pronounced by either a german or swedish. Being dutch I can say that the van der Klaauw does not sound Dutch at all.

And on topic the dialects in Italy are very strong. Panerai will sound a lot different spoken by an Italian from Firenze or from Milan or Rome.

I have a wedding in Luca (about 100km from Firenze) in a few months so maybe there is someone from Firenze to help me to a proper Panerai recording ^^