• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Gen crown a on TC without replacing tube

Garyb

I'm Pretty Popular
3/11/13
I have never gone with a gen crown on my TC's because I don't like the idea of re tapping the case. Maybe a stupid question but, couldn't the TC tube be filed and sanded down so a gen crown could be screwed all the way down to the case, or am I missing something?

ProDivers

Renowned Member
22/9/12
EU
The TC tube will accept a genuine 703 crown without any modding and it will screw down completely and you won't have any water resistance issues normally.

Are you sure to have tried a 703 crown ?

The 702 crown has a completely different threads inside and concerning the 704 I have no idea but I guess it has the same threads as the 703 someone needs to confirm this.

But I can confirm you that a 703 crown will fit a TC tube with no issue or modding and it will screw down properly

Garyb

I'm Pretty Popular
3/11/13
The TC tube will accept a genuine 703 crown without any modding and it will screw down completely and you won't have any water resistance issues normally.

Are you sure to have tried a 703 crown ?

The 702 crown has a completely different threads inside and concerning the 704 I have no idea but I guess it has the same threads as the 703 someone needs to confirm this.

But I can confirm you that a 703 crown will fit a TC tube with no issue or modding and it will screw down properly

I was under the impression that a 704 was correct for a 16610 and that it did not screw all the way down in a TC tube. Hence needing a gen tube.

Edit: I was wrong, it takes the 703

ProDivers

Renowned Member
22/9/12
EU
I was under the impression that a 704 was correct for a 16610 and that it did not screw all the way down. Hence needing a gen tube.

The 704 is correct for the last batches of 16610 while the ceramic subs were available (2008 when the smurf was launched).

The early 16610 always uses 703 crown.

There is two kind of 703 crown. On that has a tall coronet like on the 702 crown, and another 703 with a smaller coronet same look than the 704.

The 703 crown tall coronet can be found on the early 16610 with tritium dial and 93150 bracelet (like the mk1 sub for example)

And the 703 crown with small coronet (the one that looks like the 704) was available with some much more recent models like the z series for example.

Garyb

I'm Pretty Popular
3/11/13
The 704 is correct for the last batches of 16610 while the ceramic subs were available (2008 when the smurf was launched).

The early 16610 always uses 703 crown.

There is two kind of 703 crown. On that has a tall coronet like on the 702 crown, and another 703 with a smaller coronet same look than the 704.

The 703 crown tall coronet can be found on the early 16610 with tritium dial and 93150 bracelet (like the mk1 sub for example)

And the 703 crown with small coronet (the one that looks like the 704) was available with some much more recent models like the z series for example.

Thanks for the correction! Then why do people go through the trouble of a gen tube? I'm sure I have seen posts about a gen crown not screwing all the way down on a TC tube. Could it be hit or miss depending on how far the TC tube was inserted?

ProDivers

Renowned Member
22/9/12
EU
Thanks for the correction! Then why do people go through the trouble of a gen tube? I'm sure I have seen posts about a gen crown not screwing all the way down on a TC tube. Could it be hit or miss depending on how far the TC tube was inserted?

I don't think it is a hit or a miss mate, i think they probably use the wrong crown, probably the 704, and IMO the 704 won't fit correctly the TC tube because TC tube is a 703 which is period correct for the TC sub with this dial variation.

To conclude. If you want to go 704, it is better IMO to go for the crown and tube combo

if you want a gen 703 crown, then you can use the tc tube, it will fit just great with no issue. and screw down properly. If you need pictures feel free to ask.

Garyb

I'm Pretty Popular
3/11/13
I don't think it is a hit or a miss mate, i think they probably use the wrong crown, probably the 704, and IMO the 704 won't fit correctly the TC tube because TC tube is a 703 which is period correct for the TC sub with this dial variation.

To conclude. If you want to go 704, it is better IMO to go for the crown and tube combo

if you want a gen 703 crown, then you can use the tc tube, it will fit just great with no issue. and screw down properly. If you need pictures feel free to ask.

Thanks! 703 it is!! Will I need to buy and fit a new stem, or should the TC stem work?

ProDivers

Renowned Member
22/9/12
EU
Thanks! 703 it is!! Will I need to buy and fit a new stem, or should the TC stem work?

Good move ! It is preferable to go for the 703 indeed. No mate you won't need a new stem.

Here is what you have to do. Once you got your new gen 703 crown.
- open your TC caseback
- pull out your TC crown at the time set position.
- press the button that has a shape of a O with a | shape going through it, you case use a very small tweezer. While your are pressing the button remove gently the stem out of the movement then depress the bouton.
- once you have the stem free of its movement, try to heat the crown/stem junction with a hair drier or a lighter (but be careful to not damage the gaskets inside of your TC crown then you can re sell it ;)
- once the stem/ crown have been heated enough, you can unscrew the stem out of its TC crown.
- then apply at the stem extremity (where there are the threads) a bit of super glue, and screw the gen 703 crown on the stem. Wait until it is dry (around 10 minutes, it depends on the glue you are using ) after that your gen crown will be very well screwed and consolidated with your TC movement stem.
- when all that is done, insert the stem inside of the movement and turn it a bit to make sure everything's clips together, then try to reset time and date properly, be careful or you will screw up with the keyless work. .
- last step if everything is fine screw down your caseback and you are good to go for diving [emoji1]

Sub007

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
18/8/14
Guys, tube has never changed as it is the gen 7030 tube. The 703 and 704 are exactly the same as to the inside threads. Only difference is that 704 is made out of one dolid piece of steel making it far more durable than its vintage wrapped predecessor. Here's my TC V3 with TC tube and the 704 crown. As you can see it screws in nice and tight.

A TC should have a new design crown (704 type) and not the tall coronet unless you were to use a transitional 16610 or a 16800 dial (hence lugholes). Here's some pic
a20377cccd30cf7e14c400028397d4bc.jpg
575d6d0d15c4c54c77539d03de38e55a.jpg
dbcf5b35f7a5e3d8dfd34052aa488426.jpg

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
Sub007 is exactly right. The issue is NOT that it does not thread all the way, the issue is that it actually threads TOO far. Because of the tube design, being a tad shorter than gen, the crown catches the threads and usually you turn like 1.5 turns and the crown bottoms out on the case. Gen threads like 2.5 turns and does not hit the case at all and there is a tiny space there. THATS all the difference is guys. On my TC sub, I have a gen crown on the TC tube. On my gen sub the crown protrudes a tad from the case.

gbxx

I'm Pretty Popular
24/3/14
so it's pure luck based on how far the tc tube has been rotated when it was installed in the case?

ronin007

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
8/10/12
Kent England
Sub what about the vintage 703 onto a mbw 1680,what work needs doing there,sorry to hijack thread

Phwtan

14/11/14
I've got a 704 on my TC v6 and it sits flush with the case.
only difference between 703 and 704 is that 704 is monoblock and is all stainless steel, whereas the 703 has a brass core and then is wrapped in stainless steel.

Sub007

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
18/8/14
Sub what about the vintage 703 onto a mbw 1680,what work needs doing there,sorry to hijack thread

Can´t tell but I guess same goes for cartel that you get an aftermarket (WSO) 7mm tube for it and then it will fit for sure

rsh

Put Some Respect On My Name
3/4/10
so it's pure luck based on how far the tc tube has been rotated when it was installed in the case?

No, no pure luck, all the tubes are mated to TC crowns and the gen crown simply threads deeper against the case, just like what I posted above

It all depends on the tube and crown that the 1680 comes with, you can try and if it does not fit, you can get a wso tube and it will most likely need to be retapped into the case