• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How good are TC's v2 bezel inserts?

Norrie

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
24/5/12
So… If I got my LV in June-July this year, it'll have the V2 insert he's promoting at the top of his home page?

R2L

Put Some Respect On My Name
Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
So… If I got my LV in June-July this year, it'll have the V2 insert he's promoting at the top of his home page?

Yes! If you got yours directly from TC.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Sweet!! Thanks. Like OP, I was confused and thought there was a better insert released. Made my day. Ta.

Me too - by the way Thomas presented it on his blog it looked like a new release insert, hence this thread. Here's a few pics from this morning - TC v6 LV all stock...

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Congrats, OP on picking up a magnificent looking LV Sub! It really is the closest rep of the gen that is out there right now.

Just to clarify a couple of things:
The TC LN is the V6, not the LV! They both have the KH dial, but the hour markers are different sizes. The LN has the regular sized ones, whereas the LV has what is known as the "maxi" dial with larger markers.
Secondly; the current version of the LV has the KH "maxi" dial, V2 hands, and the V2 insert. Reference to this new LV is by calling the whole watch the LV V2. There is no V6 LV (as yet, if ever)!

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Congrats, OP on picking up a magnificent looking LV Sub! It really is the closest rep of the gen that is out there right now.

Just to clarify a couple of things:
The TC LN is the V6, not the LV! They both have the KH dial, but the hour markers are different sizes. The LN has the regular sized ones, whereas the LV has what is known as the "maxi" dial with larger markers.
Secondly; the current version of the LV has the KH "maxi" dial, V2 hands, and the V2 insert. Reference to this new LV is by calling the whole watch the LV V2. There is no V6 LV (as yet, if ever)!

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I was referring to the latest TC v6 as it has all of the extra features of the v6 LN (KH dial, v4 DW, v5 bracelet etc.). But you're right it should be TC LV v2.

Would love to see a side-by-side of the latest v2 LV insert vs gen. Mind you it seems there's been quite a few variants of the gen 16610LV insert anyway so you're not likely to be called out on a slightly different shade of kermit green!

R2L

Supporter
Certified
17/4/14
Thee challenge facing the earlier LV inserts, whether from TC, WM9, or anyone else, was how to get the right green paint down to give the same gradation of shading, depending on the angle with which you look at it, that the gen does. It wasn't just the metallic paint that needed to be used, but the way it was applied that came into play, and whether it would stand the test of time (no flaking off, etc).

As Turbo referenced above, the closest to gen up till the LV V2 came out, was the WM9 with the WM pearl. Now, according to TC's blog post when he received the the first sample of his V2, this new one has the all same characteristics that the gen does: http://blog.tc-sub.com/2014/10/tcs-2014-rolex-submariner-16610lv.html

As you mentioned above, the gen LV insert has various different shades of green, some natural and some due to fading, that can make it difficult to do side-side-comparisons with this new TC one, and others. I have not yet seen a post comparing a gen to the LV V2, and this may be one of the reasons why (there may be a review out, I just haven't had the time to look). What I'm interested to find out is how the LV V2 holds up over time, and whether it will similarly follow the changes that the gen has during the 10 plus years since it was first introduced. Even five years out would be good to know, and that'll be the true test of the quality of this new TC LV V2 insert!

Ssikon

Known Member
7/10/15
I think it's a common practice when he comes out with new components, actually he is shipping subs with a new bezel ring he didn't write about in his blog yet

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
I think it's a common practice when he comes out with new components, actually he is shipping subs with a new crown he didn't write about in his blog yet

What is the difference in the crowns ?

Ssikon

Known Member
7/10/15
Sorry I meant bezel ring, I will edit the post btw actually the last members that got a TC noticed a new bezel ring with less deep teeth, on the reviews those teeth appeared much less "gen like"

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Sorry I meant bezel ring, I will edit the post btw actually the last members that got a TC noticed a new bezel ring with less deep teeth, on the reviews those teeth appears much less "gen like"

Dang !
I was all excited !!!

:(

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
I can attest to Ssikon on the TC bezel rings being different. I use to be and still am to a point, a big TC fan. He was the man when it came to this hobby. He made killer reps of subs. I have one of his first LV's and I have had a bunch of his 16610's. I brought tons of parts from him. Normally in bulk because it takes forever to get parts. TC has a job and tries his hardest. I have ordered full bezel assemblies from him.

Anyway. The last one I got from him was not good quality. The bezel itself has very small teeth giving the click a very tinny sound. This must have been the 3rd or 4th time he has changed the bezel. I have at least three that if I can get good pic of I will try to post for you guys.

All in all I think that a lot of his parts he was getting, he is getting screwed over by his contacts and they are throwing cheaper parts. I know it can't be TC himself. At first I thought it was but after thinking, TC orders from his suppliers. He doesn't make them himself. Then he fills his orders.

I think he needs new suppliers.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Oh and another thing as an example. I have always been able to put a gen insert in TC bezel assemblies. They click in. The new one. I destroyed a LV insert trying to get it in. I took out that little bezel and I sanded down the insert. Got it all to fit. I put it all together and pressed it on to the watch and pop. Off came the insert.

Ssikon

Known Member
7/10/15
too many people actually are experiencing flaws not common in previous TC subs... mine is coming and my expectations are obviously high because everyone knows how good their reps are, till the last months apparently, but I can't express myself till I get mine... hope to be "lucky"!

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Ssikon I can say that TC is a great guy and his watches were the best around. Also under stand that there is no "Their" it is him. He has a full time job. He is a guy like you and me. It's not a factory. He sources his parts and puts the watch together. I believe he has an assistant that helps him. He is here in the US.

The thing about his watch is that fact that you can keep upgrading. His case takes a real rolex movement, crystal, bezel, so on and so on. He in the past has hunted for the BEST parts to on that case. I believe those companies that he found have been screwing him by giving him cheap crap parts. Like that bezel. TC bezels have been great. The last one like you said, the teeth are so small it sounds tinny not click.

Right now, if you were to ask me, who has the best rep sub out there out of the box, not looking to upgrade later with gen parts just the best rep. It is by far BK. BK is a guy like TC. Not a factory. He builds the watch himself and replaces the movement with real ETA movements. He makes sure that when it leaves his hands and is on its way to you, that there are no issues with the watch. The date wheel is perfectly aligned. I just got a HULK from him. First watch I brought from a TD since TORO a year ago. I swore never to by from a dealer again but BK did me a very large favor finding me something that is not findable. I felt that I owed it to him. So I wanted a HULK. In fact I brought a hulk here that wasn't working two days before I ordered one from him. You can look at my history and see it is the truth.

The Hulk I got from him doesn't have one flaw. The band feels like I've owned the watch for years but doesn't have a scratch on it. All the flaws from the bands from TD's he has repaired. Date wheel perfectly aligned. Keyless work. Perfect. Bezel. Clicks like a real gen Rolex. Date snaps at 1159. Real swiss 2836. I am so happy with it. I don't know if he makes a 16610 but I'm sure if he did. It would be right there with the old TC's quality. Best part about BK also. I ordered it on friday. It was at my house next friday. He is here in the US. Sorry for the Rant. I love TC. I aspire to be like TC. To make the perfect 16610. I have. It is all real but the case which I chose to be Phong. I'm making my TC 16610LV all real but case which is a TC early case. Beautiful. And the movement is a Yuki. Everything else is all real rolex. I just brought the last part to the watch. The dial.

Maron

Mythical Poster
16/2/15
Canada
Ah I see that clears things up so I must have a v2 LV insert. My TC LV is about 2-3 months old so no need to upgrade to the latest release.

I'm toying with the idea of getting myself a gen blue insert to get this look...

7ce38ddd232a5835301af80f248ae04b.jpg
So nice!