• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

wearing a replica

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
Why reps for me? Simple.........

I get 90% - 95% of the product for 5% - 10% of the cost. I would be bored silly with one or two gens and could never afford 20 of them. So now I have two gens and 25 reps. All 25 reps combined, cost less than a gen DSSD.....

Dave Thumper

Horology Curious
7/11/15
Thanks guy's for an entertaining read, i'm going for a couple of reps,in the next few weeks

Classic Breguet

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
13/9/15
Why reps for me? Simple.........

I get 90% - 95% of the product for 5% - 10% of the cost. I would be bored silly with one or two gens and could never afford 20 of them. So now I have two gens and 25 reps. All 25 reps combined, cost less than a gen DSSD.....

This is a good answer.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
The original quote of this was a quote, not from me.

If you don't think the post applies to you then it doesn't

If you feel defensive about it then it does.

If you notice I did not say "Q5" or "insert name here" I'm talking about you. did i?

Oh really, I must have read this wrong then.

otherwise we all would wear similar designs with no names or cheaper brand names on them, would we not? (and I am including myself here)

In my years here, I must say that 99% of the members who take your stand are complete dicks. Now, I'm not naming you. Only you can decide that for yourself. But if you do get offended , then you must be one of the 99% that are dicks. Right?

Classic Breguet

Banned
13/9/15
Oh really, I must have read this wrong then.

In my years here, I must say that 99% of the members who take your stand are complete dicks. Now, I'm not naming you. Only you can decide that for yourself. But if you do get offended , then you must be one of the 99% that are dicks. Right?

I'm not offended, but I will point out that I'm sure anyone who is as defensive as you would lump anyone who would be at risk of "calling you out for wearing fakes" as a dick.

Obviously your reaction to my posts is heatedly emotionally charged hyper defensivity, only you can say for certain why. The rest of us can assume.

Q5?

Legendary Member
Advisor
29/3/09
I'm not offended, but I will point out that I'm sure anyone who is as defensive as you would lump anyone who would be at risk of "calling you out for wearing fakes" as a dick.

Obviously your reaction to my posts is heatedly emotionally charged hyper defensivity, only you can say for certain why. The rest of us can assume.

Nope. Not gonna waste anymore of my time with you.

orson

Renowned Member
8/12/09
"Obviously your reaction to my posts is heatedly emotionally charged hyper defensivity"....................................."The rest of us can assume."

This is my last post in this thread. No offence meant but I really can't fathom whether you are a 13yr old or an adult that didn't finish high school.

"heatedly emotionally charged hyper defensivity" Oh boy! this points to middle school age - and you are not in a position to say "the rest of us" because you are on your own with this.

Q5? presented a structured argument and you have not understood one word of it!

You: "If you notice I did not say "Q5" or "insert name here" I'm talking about you. did i?"

Q5?: "Oh really"

You: otherwise WE ALL would wear similar designs with no names or cheaper brand names on them, would we not? (and I am INCLUDING MYSELF here)

Did you follow that? You did include Q5?, me, 100,000 forum members and our dogs and cats "WE ALL" are your words! - Got it?

If you re-read the 'dicks' paragraph it is simply a parody of your initial rant.

OK last bit if you are not exhausted (I am)

We were getting along very well a few posts back and now you are digging a hole again. - Sit back; read; re-read and learn. You are amongst a huge amount of skill and knowledge here and you can have a great time if you will stop with the silliness.

I only come here for fun so do the same and you will enjoy the forum. If you carry on with this nonsense you'll have a pretty miserable time.

OK, I'm pouring a single malt! - Byee!

FiloViridae

Advisor
Advisor
27/3/15
NYC
That was fun! I vote 13yr old on a school computer...

This is why I wear reps:

a0a15f0913ed1cb2c948016655f11598.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Yeah, every now and then an arrogant blowhard pops in to tell us what the deal is.

Some are more eloquent than others, but...

...whatever.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
You are trying to use an oblique distraction rather than answering the question.

To quote "The Man in Black" " It won't work "

Now get back to Australia...

resized_the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-meme-generator-i-dont-t-always-dig-deeper-and-deeper-but-when-i-do-i-go-all-out-4cb966.jpg

Why don't you go back to airguns and Jaguars for hobbies? I doubt this one is for you.

Classic Breguet

Banned
13/9/15
Why don't you go back to airguns and Jaguars for hobbies? I doubt this one is for you.

The ""Australia" was a quote from "The Princess Bride" movie. It was relevant to the story line.

Jaguars and airguns?? You completely missed the larger hobbies, innovating, microtunneling, Steel plate and Action pistol (My long awaited customized Ed Brown Kobra full size finally arrived) and MMA (not the sitting on the couch and yelling thing), doing the ultra hot asian wife, you know, the usual things. I'll assume you can use google and Facebook?

Come on guys, don't take yourselves too seriously. Relax, laugh a little. Fart once in a while, enjoy. You really don't need to think I am talking about "you" specifically. Some people wear their reps casually for fun, others invest their insecure egos in projecting a false pretend image, these are just the facts, 100% claim to be in the former camp, but there clearly are two camps.

Classic Breguet

Banned
13/9/15
Actually it is going to "happen" in about 1/2 hour :callme:

And no, I'm not stupid enough to share photos on the internet.

Rowing_Bird

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/2/15
Ummm no. I like to wear a watch for me(Gen or rep). Not you or the guy next to me at the grocery store. So..... don't lump me or others into how you feel about yourself.

+1

Wow this is the best response that I've read.

Rowing_Bird

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/2/15
right...

it's not about what you wear, but how you wear it

I wear my reps like they are real. Granted, I now spend a bit more to always get the best version just in case...and tend to focus on superreps(yeah yeah I know none of them really are).

The reason I can do that, is because the rest of me matches.

If you are wearing Vans, a tshirt, driving a busted Civic, living in the ghetto in a crappy apartment while you are complaining your water is out....you can get the real deal AP and people will still think it's fake.

If you are wearing Ferragamo shoes, a Moncler jacket, drive a Porsche, and live in a fancy house/apartment...then you could wear a canal street super cheapie...and people will still think it's real.

Here is the thing, watches are tiny. Noone can actually see the details when it's on your wrist...not if it's actually moving. Honestly, I can't even tell if a person is wearing a Seiko or a Rolex, until I am close enough to read the brand name...which is usually 1 foot away(I can recognize the style obviously). So a slightly different font or a 5mm offset might be obvious to you while you are looking at it on a giant photo that makes it look 20x bigger...but noone will ever actually notice that...not unless you are flashing it like it's real and letting people see close up photos while you brag on instagram. That's how you get called out.

Seriously...do this...grab a watch, then hold it out at arm's length. That's about where any person you'll be speaking with is going to be. As you can see you can't really tell any details. Now put the watch on the counter and stand up...that's about where the watch is going to be when someone comes by while you are leaning on a desk...again can't really tell the details.

So wear it like it's real. Even if someone notices that it's fake they won't call you out. Hell I noticed a guy wearing an Omega that looked like a cheap 21J version(well unless he left his chronograph running...but I don't believe it), since I actually had that rep, I knew what to look for...I noticed it sure...I went HMM...but I didn't call him out, because it was just not worth the risk, nor was there any point...and I forgot all about it 5 minutes later.

Noone cares about watches. Maybe 10% can even recognize the Submariner as a Submariner and not just a Rolex. Maybe 1% out of those, know what everything is supposed to look like off the top of their head. Maybe 1% out of those, will actually know the specific tells that make it a fake. And maybe 10% of those will actually get close enough to see the watch details. And maybe 10% of those will be asshole enough to call you out for it.

So do the math: you'll need to meet like 100,000 people to even find one that will know how to recognize a fake. And you better make it a million before one of those actually sees the watch details. And 10 million before you find someone who'd actually bother calling you out.

Seriously people just don't care

Classic Breguet

Banned
13/9/15
+1

Wow this is the best response that I've read.

It is a good response. My point was that people buy accurate reps to pretend they are real, even if only to themselves. This to me is fine, if you really walk the talk and plenty of people do casually enjoy their reps. The ultra defensive responses of some members speaks much louder than their words as to how they really feel. "Thou doest protest too much, and such"

If it really isn't about putting if off as a genuine watch, you would be wearing homage pieces, not replicas.

I'll use this quote from Forbes magazine: "Fake watches exist to satisfy the desires who cannot afford "the real thing" but want to portray the status of those who can."

For myself however, I prefer the real deal and to support the legitimate industry.

I actually only own one "rep" and it is a fantasy rep, as in not a copy of a real piece. It is a VC tourbillon chronograph.
My real purpose here is now complete. I've done my research here and have found that there are no accurate Breguet reps, and there are no accurate thin watch reps which is what I was hoping for.

I have bought a few gens in the last month: Patek Philippe 3919, JLC master ultra thin Rose gold, VC 31160, (you see I have this thing for thin watches that haven't been succussfully copied) and I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on a huge IWC 5251. My research here was to make sure there are no accurate reps of the gens I am buying, and there are not, everything I have seen in the ultra thin department have been awfully thick fakes.

So now that you know this, the posts projecting "how I wear my replicas" is now exposed as just your projections, since I don't wear replicas, I wear the real thing.

I know this is not a popular issue on a replica board. I wasn't intending to make this my home, just to do my research of which watches there are no fakes of, and I'm sure you all will breath easier when I'm gone knowing you can get back to your usual witty banter without the scary dark cloud of someone who might bring up the scary words of "ethics" or "interdependence" or those even worse words like the "p" word. The dirty truth is some (not all) but definitely some wear fake status symbols to reap the benefits of status symbols. Status symbols are symbols of one's status, unless they are fake, i.e. unless they have not been earned. You just can't tell me that a Rolex is not a status symbol.

Feel free to call me an elitist, 1%er, whatever makes you feel better. Fact is I prefer the quality of the real thing, and there is a difference. Not when we are talking LV bags of course, they are crap quality no matter who makes them, which is why the LV bags are a terrible analogy. The fiero/ferrari is a better analogy, and I have yet to hear a believable response regarding that.

I prefer to support the manufacturers who come up with these beautiful timepieces. I don't fancy myself a mosquito with respect to the manufacturers.
Like it or not, the replica industry does significantly hurt the legitimate industry, even if you don't care about those people.

A few questions:
Why does it bother people when someone dresses up in a fake high ranking military uniform and walks around?

And why does it bother people when they see some spoiled 16 year old rich kid wearing a real Breguet tourbillon?

Same answer, yes? No?

Be honest in your responses to these two questions

If I were to ask random people on the street what they thought about people who wear fake rolexes, what do you think they would say?