• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Audemars Piguet FC V3 w/polished case

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/11
I got my AP on monday from Angus and I must say im very pleased with the overall result, however, always looking to make things better I decided to work on the case a bit.

Having owned the V2 this watch is in another league, with no wood grain to speak of the case is very nice in respect to carbon pattern and overall smoothness. The previous cases were very matte, porus in many places and suffered the grain effect on the case sides as we all know. I had tried to polish the case on the V2 and although it was better it still didn't have the finish I desired so I decided to move on and keep my sights on this V3.

Upon looking at many pictures of the gen I noticed a very dark case in some instances and others where the marble effect just pops from the case. The case still had a nice deep black pitch unlike the more greyish color found on the V2 and a smooth and polished case that reflects light nicely and in some cases it can absorb the light making the case appear darker.

I broke out my dremel tool and several polishing wheels and went to town using a 3M plastic polish that can be used for many different materials, after about 30 minutes of polishing and cleaning the case was finished and I must say the results are very nice.

I wish I had an HF version to compare with the V3, but that isn't the case as I had planned on making a comparison of the two watches.

I can say there are a few things I noticed with the V3 in which its case pattern is much improved and has the right effect, the bezel numbers are improved from the last version and do not have the yellowish tinge like the HF version. Also, the lume is pretty nice and very evenly applied and only under extreme macro's can you notice a few imperfections that I highly doubt can be improved unless using a machine to apply the lume material. Other notes I can add in regards to the caseback and strap with buckle are very good quality and the best thing of al the movement hasn't blown up yet .

Lets see some pics...

hbtc.jpg

n0xk.jpg

gys.JPG

ma2z.jpg

5dm7.jpg

7a5u.jpg

ywm.JPG

vw7l.jpg

tg3n.jpg

sorry about the light reflection....

uqfl.jpg

date is nice and centered...

44jk.jpg

bezel lines up nicely..

wd2f.jpg

very nice lume application, just a tad at the bottom of a few numbers but not noticeable on the wrist...

smm8.jpg

z2xs.jpg

sv6v.jpg

0v72.jpg

swiss made is nicely screened as well as the other print and the only thing I noticed is the 1 000 spacing although gen looks the same too me...

16e0.jpg

d033.jpg

lwoo.jpg

hands are nicely finished...

hjob.jpg

kuf.JPG

decent crown, could be better especially between the engraving...

a6qf.jpg

here we can see a close up of the carbon pattern

o9g.JPG

and the bezel adjustment crown here, meh.....

ax6f.jpg

some more random pics..

7ixi.jpg

lume is fairly bright, but fades quickly..

ule5.jpg

ba2g.jpg

another of the dial under magnification...

17ek.jpg

xuhi.jpg

and some more carbon pattern under heavy lighting...

7bf8.JPG

9e60.JPG

Hope you guys enjoyed some pics...

nlnlnlnene

I'm Pretty Popular
7/9/10
Hmm it's hard to tell whether the carbon is as good as gen.... Looks beautiful though

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
That's beautiful, but you are going to have to seriously reduce the size of the pics.

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/11
No shit... I just pasted them here and now it's like this :(

I will delete the ones that are messed up...

Sorry guys I can post all of the pictures here, some are wayyyy to big and had to be deleted... Not sure what happened but of any of you are at RG you can see them there also.

martinV1

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
11/11/12
its almost unfair that you dont get a affiliate link for this:thumbsup:

valante

I'm Pretty Popular
20/2/13
the marble effect is nice, but again how is it compare with gen?

Are they mate or gloss?

My ad did not take the protecting plastic out so i cant tell.

jckilla

Known Member
19/3/13
Beautiful watch - just needs Joe's AR treatment to make it perfect - congrats!

sharrkey

Legendary Member
Advisor
14/6/08
Looks fantastic and some truly super macro shots, can't wait for mine to arrive thanks for sharing
The Ti bezel screws seem to have a better polished finish than Ss is this the case? I'm near sure I read Angus posting these where Ti screws

Sent from my iPhone 5 Using TapaTalk2 S???R?I?????

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Looks good.
Be careful with the choice of your plastic polish and start with a soft polishing instrument.
Fully disassemble before polishing for best result.
Extra points for those who have the right instruments to polish inside the holes for the screws.
Be careful not to round off edges. ;-)

AP Boy

Known Member
28/6/13
Beautiful watch and nice work on the case via DIY mod...Dremels are cool!

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
How about the AR on this v3? I heard that on v2, AR is really of bad quality.
Have anyone ever see the original in person and tell us how the gen FC looks like ?

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/11
And just to point out when I say polished I don't mean like a stainless case polish, its just enough to give the case a light sheen vs matte looking.

I also wanna note if you are not handy with tools please do not take a high speed polishing wheel to your watches ;) you will most likely f it up. I used low rpm to get this finish, nothing too crazy..

Thanks for all the nice comments guys, hope you enjoyed the pics...

eVojlib

Renowned Member
Certified
15/1/11
How about the AR on this v3? I heard that on v2, AR is really of bad quality.
Have anyone ever see the original in person and tell us how the gen FC looks like ?

Honestly, I had v2 and v3 and I really didn't pay attention to the AR.

I do feel this watch can use a nice single layer to give it more depth; however, double sided would really make this thing pop..

As far as the carbon I can't really remember, I thought I had some pics of a few gen fc finished piece when I was at the AD in the caymens... I just remembered the marble effect was the stand out as well as the deep black color surrounding it.

Im sure there will be a gen vs rep comparison, and I don't mean t be shit pictures posted by Andrew of the gen case vs rep... His pics suck...

Either way this is a nice piece and with AR treatment and gen strap im happy...

maxko

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
23/9/13
wow, it' awesome, this watch is really gorgeous. I was after RB2 but i think this will be first in my wish list. Congrats for what you have there mate, it's really shiny

platnumn

1/12/11
I have never, in my years on the rep sites, seen such excellent macro pics highlighting all the details you spoke of.

Truly wonderful, thanks!

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I never got around to polishing my FCs until today:
1) HFAC polishes up nicely just like V3--I would not be surprised if both makers got their cases from the same factories. ;.)
2) V2 does not really polish up very much. V2 is really a very strange and unique case, real odd ball, and perhaps has more character and singularity than all of the subsequents. It is crystalline and pale all at the same time.