• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Kw pam 312 seagull

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
Greetings,

I just received kw pam 312 seagull version from Ryan. It is an awesome watch. The feeling of having a pam is there.
The problems are when i got it. First thing to do was to set the time. I pulled the crown the furthest. Roll it downwards to forward the time, then there is a sound of clicking in every turn and the minute hand didnt move at all it just stuck right there with the clicks sound. So i set the time reversely by turning the crown upward which is working.

This is my first seagull watch. I was wondering what is the power reserve in this movement?my pam only last probably an hour after i put it on rest after a whole day on my wrist. It sometimes stops too since i noticed the time is slower suddenly (a few mins difference with real time that i set).

Lastly does seagull movement has the abilty auto change the date when the time pass twelve o clock?which i didnt find it in my pam.

Please give me some solutions how to solve these. Is this a faulty? Should i return it to Ryan? Or is this repairable by a watchsmith? It would be helpful.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
1. You should set the time by turn it upward is correct, not turn it downward

2. Please do the following test:
Please try to shake the watch 50 times and see if the movement will start working. It should last for around 30 mins - 60 mins because some rotors like the one in A2824 movement are not heavy so they might not be charged with a lot of power by shaking 50 times (that's why it can vary according to the movement in the watch). In addition, have in mind that the rotor only assists the movement to save power. It's not the only way to save power. All genuine watch brands such as AP , Omega and Rolex also teach buyers to hand wind the movement first to gain the large power, and then can wear the watch or shake it before wear it , that's also fine.

If the movement has power reserve issue , then no matter how many times you hand wind the movement, the movement still won't be working. Also remember that you should never shake the watch to gain power because as that's not a correct method. Imagine the rotor turns one time (360 degree) is just equal to hand wind the movement by 1-5 degrees only . The same result would be equal to 60-70 shakes, which is why it is rather impractical!

3. The date should change automatically once the watch is fully charged.

This is Ryan's reply. Are these make any sense though?

Im afraid to handwind an auto movement and really adjust the time upward which means reverse the time only. That would be troublesome. Anyone have the same problem with seagull movement?

Thank you

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
Btw, Ryan replied to me to manual wind it 50-60 times. Well i followed him. I manual wind it. But the feeling of manual winding an auto movt is weird. The sound and feels kinda wear the gear. Im afraid to damage the movt more. So, after wind it 50-60 times, i wore it on my wrist for the whole day and the watch runs okay and it lasts for 5 hours after i put it on rest. Is that normal? Can any pam consultant chime in? Help. [MENTION=35350]ALE7575[/MENTION]

Thank you

Cheers.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I had a similar issue with the time setting on a 2836 and I'm still trying to figure out what's wrong with that movement.
If you are experiencing these issues (messed up time setting, no date change at midnight and very low PR) the movement needs attention for sure.
It has too many issues, I would not bother trying to fix it locally and send it back.

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
Yeah. It could change date but not all the time. Most important issues are the time setting and low PR. Without manual winding is like 1 hour PR and with manual wind 50-60 times are like 5 hours. Anyone else can share their seagull watch in Pam?

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
yes it is normal, because you need to hand wind the mechanism movement to make sure the power reserve enough, The rotor couldn't save the enough power and you can't check how much power saved by the rotor when you wearing the watch.

Thats what Ryan replied to me. Is that true? Is that how capable seagul is? Handwind it is everday? I would buy manual wind pams rather than auto seagull if it turned out like this. Need some experts for their opinions
[MENTION=11620]trailboss99[/MENTION] [MENTION=35350]ALE7575[/MENTION] [MENTION=64001]kilowattore[/MENTION]

Thank you

Pamfanatic

Known Member
2/4/15
Hi all, I think this is gonna be a dilemma with ref to what [MENTION=100809]poohdini[/MENTION] has mentioned earlier, which unfortunately happened to my Seagull Lite 508.

As mentioned, the proper way to kickstart a sleeping self winding watch (gen or rep) is to manual wind it 50-60 times before wearing, which, prior to this advice I don't even bother to wind up those gears because of the similar doubts and fears as bro [MENTION=100809]poohdini[/MENTION] for auto movements.

Thing is, I've decided to give the proper method a go on my lite508 and TRAGEDY HAPPENED!! Everything goes perfectly during the first wind, which the subdial started sweeping on my 2nd, impressive, so I gave it like another 15 more winds to get it cruising. Everything goes well, PR is good, about 36hrs upon watch off the wrist.

2nd try a week later, applied same technique, subdial didn't move even after 20 winds!! Panicked, started shaking it, no movement still, shit..... Shook harder, nothing. FREAKING LIKE A FAILED CPR ON A DROWNING MAN.

My 508 is officially dead. Oh well, just sharing what I've encountered, overall I'm still skeptical of the seagull movement despite its visual accuracy.

My 2 cents.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Tbh I never handwind my automatic watches, my opinion is if they need handwinding there's an issue with the movement. I'm not a watchmaker though, so maybe some more knowledgeable members might chime in about this.

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
Hi all, I think this is gonna be a dilemma with ref to what @poohdini has mentioned earlier, which unfortunately happened to my Seagull Lite 508.

As mentioned, the proper way to kickstart a sleeping self winding watch (gen or rep) is to manual wind it 50-60 times before wearing, which, prior to this advice I don't even bother to wind up those gears because of the similar doubts and fears as bro @poohdini for auto movements.

Thing is, I've decided to give the proper method a go on my lite508 and TRAGEDY HAPPENED!! Everything goes perfectly during the first wind, which the subdial started sweeping on my 2nd, impressive, so I gave it like another 15 more winds to get it cruising. Everything goes well, PR is good, about 36hrs upon watch off the wrist.

2nd try a week later, applied same technique, subdial didn't move even after 20 winds!! Panicked, started shaking it, no movement still, shit..... Shook harder, nothing. FREAKING LIKE A FAILED CPR ON A DROWNING MAN.

My 508 is officially dead. Oh well, just sharing what I've encountered, overall I'm still skeptical of the seagull movement despite its visual accuracy.

My 2 cents.

Shoot..i almost come across to your situation. i stopped wearing it for now since there is no solution up until now..thank you for sharing your experience [MENTION=99875]Pamfanatic[/MENTION] i wont wind it anymore like instructed by Ryan. It kinda leads to the death and that is what i thought too [MENTION=64001]kilowattore[/MENTION] auto movement means no hand wind manually especially asian movement. If it was gen movement and it was instructed by the AD to hand wind it, i wont mind since they sure can repair/fix it if there is a problem afterwards.

Yeah, i kinda need someone who has good experiences with seagull PAMs. Anyone can share their seagull pams? like setting the time and the power reserve of the watch itself after worn for a whole day. So i can a strong backups to ask for new replacement watch from Ryan..

Thank you

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
5 hrs of PR after winding manually and put in the wrist the whole day is not at all normal
You should get at least 20- hrs and in the best case 40 hrs.

ALE

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
5 hrs of PR after winding manually and put in the wrist the whole day is not at all normal
You should get at least 20- hrs and in the best case 40 hrs.

ALE
Yes that is what im expecting it too Ale. How about the time setting? Ryan told me that it can only go one way directional which is upward means reverse the time until it sets. If i forward the time, the minute hand wont move and there are sounds of clicking every turn. Does that normal [MENTION=35350]ALE7575[/MENTION] ?

Thank you.

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
Yes that is what im expecting it too Ale. How about the time setting? Ryan told me that it can only go one way directional which is upward means reverse the time until it sets. If i forward the time, the minute hand wont move and there are sounds of clicking every turn. Does that normal @ALE7575 ?

Thank you.

No this is not normal either

ALE

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
If worn all day, you should not need to manually wind a seagull or any auto movement for that matter. If you wear a watch all day and need to wind the following morning, then something is wrong because the movement is not doing its job. I've only worked with a few 2555's and it was always to install a new one.

As far as manually winding an auto, I used to do it all the time. The only reason I stopped is because I only have two watches and I wear the auto daily. Whenever I had 7750's, if they were completely stopped, I would always give them a good 15-20 winds before time setting and wearing. The one thing I've heard is to gently wind 28xx's. The auto bridge is much more complicated since it winds bidirectionally. Again, I cant say factually that you can manually wind away without issue, but I have yet to encounter one.

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
If worn all day, you should not need to manually wind a seagull or any auto movement for that matter. If you wear a watch all day and need to wind the following morning, then something is wrong because the movement is not doing its job. I've only worked with a few 2555's and it was always to install a new one.

As far as manually winding an auto, I used to do it all the time. The only reason I stopped is because I only have two watches and I wear the auto daily. Whenever I had 7750's, if they were completely stopped, I would always give them a good 15-20 winds before time setting and wearing. The one thing I've heard is to gently wind 28xx's. The auto bridge is much more complicated since it winds bidirectionally. Again, I cant say factually that you can manually wind away without issue, but I have yet to encounter one.
Yes, i agree with you. The thing is my reference of auto movement is my last purchased from Ryan. Ap diver v7. When i want to wear it i just need to shake it for a few shakes then thats it, i just wear it. At night i put it on rest and it still moving the next day. It has roughly >24 hrs power reserve. Thats what i thought about auto movement. Well i think i am going to ask for a replacement because it is not a normal piece.

Thank you guys for the advices and helps.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Yes, i agree with you. The thing is my reference of auto movement is my last purchased from Ryan. Ap diver v7. When i want to wear it i just need to shake it for a few shakes then thats it, i just wear it. At night i put it on rest and it still moving the next day. It has roughly >24 hrs power reserve. Thats what i thought about auto movement. Well i think i am going to ask for a replacement because it is not a normal piece.

Thank you guys for the advices and helps.

If you're going to ship back and request a replacement, I would also suggest putting in a few extra dollars and get the 7750 version.

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
If you're going to ship back and request a replacement, I would also suggest putting in a few extra dollars and get the 7750 version.
Oh ok, wouldnt it be an issue with 7750 movement? Like wobbling minute hand? I read it somewhere in the forum or it just different watch?

Pamfanatic

Known Member
2/4/15
The wobbling shit happens to the 356. Otherwise it's a super rep.

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
ah right, thank you for your info. i will have a look for the 7750 movt with Ryan

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
There's no wobbling on 7750 PAMs with sec @9. Like mentioned above but wobbling might come from 3/6/9 PAMs. I'm guessing the wobble comes from play between the gears in the transfer plate.

And there is also a known wobble in 2555 PAMs because of the transfer gears/pinion to power the second hand.

poohdini

Known Member
16/4/15
Alright i might ask Ryan for 7750 movement since i think there is local watchsmith who can service 7750 movement. Approximately how much do i have to add for a 7750 movement roughly? [MENTION=35495]Strodda[/MENTION]

Thank you