• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

J12 15400 - Edit: Now Available

Daddyoftoo

Known Member
6/2/15
Like so many others, I am slightly irritated at how they could spend so much time and money getting so many small details right but something as blatant and obvious, wrong.
It's almost as though in the back of their minds they have a voice telling them to screw something up, so they have a reason to 'improve' it for the next generation.
I know this is the game they play and we are along the ride but if they just bothered to get it right first time round, I suspect most of us would buy every single model they released.
I know I was waiting for the RG white dial on bracelet and black on strap but knowing all they will do is simply use this dial, is enough to make me ignore it straight away.

Shame.

Here's to the V2 I guess....

asdfpenguin

8/9/14
I think the DW font is better on the TF as well, the numbers should be slightly off-white and not as fat as the JF. Best mashup would be TF dial with JF printing quality, TF DW, and JF everything else.

JimLahey

Renowned Member
11/6/15
Hopefully the V2 comes out this year. I've been waiting for a god 15400 for too long.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
I think the DW font is better on the TF as well, the numbers should be slightly off-white and not as fat as the JF. Best mashup would be TF dial with JF printing quality, TF DW, and JF everything else.

Do that and the date font would be wrong for an I serial case!

I've just been reading the comments about misaligned batons on the dial so had a closer look at mine. Sure enough the 11 o'clock baton has't been stuck on properly - so much that the rehaut end of it is actually sticking up from the dial surface which suggests the locating pin is holding it up and not in it's hole!!

I'd strongly advise anyone buying one of these ask for detailed photos of the bracelet link screws to see if any are chewed up. If they are it could indicate that the screws are actually so tightly jammed that they'll be impossible to remove (as one of mine was). Similar story with some of the case - bracelet screws. Really pissed off that JF do such great work on their other pieces that they make such a hash of this, not just with the flaws but with shoddy work generally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

asdfpenguin

8/9/14
Do that and the date font would be wrong for an I serial case!

I've just been reading the comments about misaligned batons on the dial so had a closer look at mine. Sure enough the 11 o'clock baton has't been stuck on properly - so much that the rehaut end of it is actually sticking up from the dial surface which suggests the locating pin is holding it up and not in it's hole!!

I'd strongly advise anyone buying one of these ask for detailed photos of the bracelet link screws to see if any are chewed up. If they are it could indicate that the screws are actually so tightly jammed that they'll be impossible to remove (as one of mine was). Similar story with some of the case - bracelet screws. Really pissed off that JF do such great work on their other pieces that they make such a hash of this, not just with the flaws but with shoddy work generally.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So the JF version actually has the correct font? It's not too fat?

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
So the JF version actually has the correct font? It's not too fat?

I'm not sure what you mean by fat? But the I series AP's have a different font - Helvetica, so has the 1 that looks like a thinner Panerai style and a 4 without the flat table on the top.

Hyjynx

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/9/13
Looks more green than blue. [emoji15] And that leaning AP logo....[emoji37]

Come for the watches, stay for the drama! [emoji12]

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
if people are having trouble with their bracelet screws, you have better luck removing a stuck bracelet screw after giving the bracelet an ultrasonic clean in parts cleaning fluid or after the standard oil bath everybody uses to improve the flexibility of their bracelet.
If you try to force these screws out dry, then the slots will deform or the threads will strip. Replacement screws are not really to be found.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
if people are having trouble with their bracelet screws, you have better luck removing a stuck bracelet screw after giving the bracelet an ultrasonic clean in parts cleaning fluid or after the standard oil bath everybody uses to improve the flexibility of their bracelet.
If you try to force these screws out dry, then the slots will deform or the threads will strip. Replacement screws are not really to be found.

I'll tell you the problem with the bracelet screws is they're very roughly machined on the central part, unlike the TF screws that are very smooth and almost polished. TF screws go straight in with no problems. I ended up polishing the shaft of the screws I could salvage and that's made a big difference. Oiling first would definitely help.

cornholio

Renowned Member
6/5/15
have any of you current JF 15400 owners tried to replace the dial with a TF or any other dial for that matter?

ssouthall6

Put Some Respect On My Name
10/10/13
Just the colour and the tapisserie. Otherwise it's great [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C124

Renowned Member
25/11/14
It looks more an electric than an inky blue which it should be