• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

New Portuguese 7 days

rhc22

26/11/11
Welcome. Glad to hear you are doing alot of reading. Best thing you can do is read and learn.
The gold markings on the RG case are correct, but these same markings are also on the stainless cases (the TD dont show pictures of that though). The deployant buckle and the inner bezel both say stainless steel, even though it is gold colored....the factories do this for ease of manufacturing and lower costs. It is a common practice and has been seen on many watches through the years.....we get used to seeing these minor flaws....and you will to.
Factories make 1 case and 1 deployant for a watch model. The good news is that since you are getting the gold case, you have the correct markings on the case and all the buyers of the stainless case versions have the incorrect markings.....but the tradeoff is the deployant says stainless....but no one sees it as it is always closed when its on your wrist.
I also purchased the ZF RG/White dial Portuguese...I owned the GEN version of this watch years ago and it was one of my all time favorites. Elegant and classic IWC design. Cant wait to see my QC Pics.

I don't have the hall marks on my st/st version and haven't seen others with it. I hope they put a hall mark on the white gold ardoise version, that would be a bit plus.

BuddhistGirafe

I'm Pretty Popular
16/5/13
Just fitted my Vietnamese croc strap. I know the light honey leather won't be to everyone's taste, but I absolutely love it.
Will be getting a black version of the same thing for more formal occasions.

FullSizeRender_4_zpsrza9tojh.jpg

FullSizeRender_3_zps73ft7a6j.jpg

FullSizeRender_2_zpshchnnigw.jpg

FullSizeRender_1_zpsh2vec8cy.jpg
This is the guy that's like $40 on EBay right ?

Sent from my Deco Stop

nigelgel

Known Member
22/1/15
Gold plated on the case & buckle. If accidentally scratches it does the gold plated comes off? Sorry I don't own a gold plated watch so I came to ask this stupid question. Forgive my stupidity.

thermalboyz

I'm Pretty Popular
29/11/14
United Kingdom
Gold plated on the case & buckle. If accidentally scratches it does the gold plated comes off? Sorry I don't own a gold plated watch so I came to ask this stupid question. Forgive my stupidity.

Depends on micron of the plating. It will likely wear off over time. But plating back is possible provided you need to remove everything from casing, plate it and assemble back.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
I think the movement will be gone first before the plating. Afterall these movements are not easily replaceable or serviceable like the eta clones

Sent using Tapatalk

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
Blake at Scottwatch is a great guy. Have bought some parts from him. I think he's the only good source for gen IWC parts nowadays.

Anyway, that Laureus is tantalizing. [emoji7]

*Sent from my fingers using my head*

Frikman

Known Member
29/10/14
This is the guy that's like $40 on EBay right ?

Sent from my Deco Stop

Yip that's the one. Best $40 strap I've ever bought.
I will be getting a black version from him too. (As soon as I get hold of him because I think RWI have been keeping him very busy recently!!)

rs50master

You're Saying I Can Sell?
12/6/13
+100, but maybe the black dial is more versatile and more gen like?
+10000
I think the white dial with blue hands one is the most beautiful, but i dont know how accurate the blue color is and also black dial one matches both casual and dressy wear.

Hamtaro

You're Saying I Can Sell?
28/5/14
+10000
I think the white dial with blue hands one is the most beautiful, but i dont know how accurate the blue color is and also black dial one matches both casual and dressy wear.

I will find that out in a couple of days and compare the white face/blue steeled hands with my gen and let u guys know if its any good.

mandipan

Sic Mundus Creatus Est
Certified
18/11/13
I've been looking for 1:1 dress watch since ever (as the most of us I guess), and now I can't decide between this 5007 black dial, the 5001 ardoise dial (let's say the most incorrect, as for the engravings etc) and the newes JF AP 15400. The IWC maybe it's more classy?
I tried to read all the previous 133 pages but I still can't understand if the 5007 black dial is the one with less flaws among the three i mentioned. Ok, I know that everyone has a certain level of flaws that could accept, but I'd like to know if and how easier it is spottable as a fake, out of the box.
For sure, it will need a new crystal A/R, a decent strap and a gen crown. And, apart from these things, I saw that the gen 5007 has a different deployante buckle. The zf one seems to have the old 5001 fitted, am I wrong?

thermalboyz

I'm Pretty Popular
29/11/14
United Kingdom
You are correct, basically i don't think it should be 5007 at all. It should be 5001 instead because of the Font, case and clasp. Also the strap is not curved therefore more closer to 5001, still don't know why TD called them 5007.

peterpl

Put Some Respect On My Name
24/7/11
^ Your right Toro's pics look quite good. Not sure if I should be an early adopter and try it out. Hmmmmmm