• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Thoughts on best rep to wear to a job interview

AGL

Renowned Member
7/6/11
I had a meeting like that once and I wore an AP to the meeting. The woman I met decided on the spot she wanted to represent me and be my talent agent.

Was it because of my watch or my portfolio? I'll let you decide.

I would just say though that for roles that are not 'in house' for example consulting or freelance positions it could go either way. You can come across as if you don't NEED the work - they might look at you, see the super expensive watch and think he doesn't need the work or won't appreciate it OR they'll think look at his watch, what was he charging again? No wonder, he has expensive taste and needs to keep up with his lifestyle. On the other hand, they'll see the watch see you and how you present yourself and know they can trust you. You'll never know unless you have an insider who can tell you info from the inside.

I personally keep my reps for my own time, I wear them when I'm not working or when I'm on jobs and I know they'll be ok and safe. I'd never wear a rep to a first meeting because I wouldn't want to think they'd look at my watch and award the work to someone else based on a personal feeling of the amount I might be perceived to be flaunting sitting on my wrist.

mrARG2010

Horology Curious
12/5/11
Thanks so much, if I get this job, it will change my life!!!

If it's that important I'd agree with others and suggest something small and low-key. Think about upside vs downside. You rock a rolex sub c, guy is a watch man and is impressed. Will that get you the job? Probably not by itself. So limited upside. But let's say your interviewer is one of those execs who wears a timex or a runners watch. He thinks the sub c is gaudy, wonders what kind of candidate would have the balls to flaunt that in an interview, maybe it costs you the job.

This is a sales job so there is something to be said about showing success. But even so I just think your watch choice should be about limiting downside, not maximizing upside. So an SMP would be a good choice - watch guy is gonna respect it, anyone else won't give it a second look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
I had a meeting like that once and I wore an AP to the meeting. The woman I met decided on the spot she wanted to represent me and be my talent agent.

Was it because of my watch or my portfolio? I'll let you decide.

I would just say though that for roles that are not 'in house' for example consulting or freelance positions it could go either way. You can come across as if you don't NEED the work - they might look at you, see the super expensive watch and think he doesn't need the work or won't appreciate it OR they'll think look at his watch, what was he charging again? No wonder, he has expensive taste and needs to keep up with his lifestyle. On the other hand, they'll see the watch see you and how you present yourself and know they can trust you. You'll never know unless you have an insider who can tell you info from the inside.

I personally keep my reps for my own time, I wear them when I'm not working or when I'm on jobs and I know they'll be ok and safe. I'd never wear a rep to a first meeting because I wouldn't want to think they'd look at my watch and award the work to someone else based on a personal feeling of the amount I might be perceived to be flaunting sitting on my wrist.

I hear you, but this is not a freelance position, it is a permanent position. When I said not in-house, I meant it was with another company, not my current company.

Ralphy

SalesMod CodeName Duchess
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
8/7/15
Nebraska
OMEGA! 100%

300 or CrPO

Ufy3c78m.jpg

OZw5eswm.jpg

DocHolliday

Huckleberry Sales Mod
Advisor
11/2/15
I'd say something that doesn't a super have high gloss, or over 42mm... A piece that definitely can fit comfortably under a cuff. Nothing showy by any means. I thin the Omega 300 would suit you just fine. Now I want another Omega.

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
I'd say something that doesn't a super have high gloss, or over 42mm... A piece that definitely can fit comfortably under a cuff. Nothing showy by any means. I thin the Omega 300 would suit you just fine. Now I want another Omega.

+1
As I said in my previous post, I'd go with Omega 300 :)

joe_chill

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/12
Wear what makes you feel the most confident, Rollie or Omega... doesn't matter. If you aren't confident wearing a rep, leave it at home. Good luck!

Fiveostang

6/11/12
I think you should ball so hard mother f***ers try to hire you

breakpopin

You're Saying I Can Sell?
29/6/15
Just be yourself.. If you have what it takes and what they want, then you will be the one

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hazza

I'm Pretty Popular
28/7/15
In the COURTHOUSE!!
In the US the above would be called stocking. Why would one need to know bosses wife name since you've never met her for crying out loud? That's a red flag right there... Back to the topic, don't worry about the watch. Wear whatever you are comfortable with. What matters is your portfolio, meaning what is your worth to the company that will hire you, not your watch. They simply don't care but if they do, I'd advise you to seek employment elsewhere.

LOL, Stalking? Then I guess your avatar would be objectification? Not against the law, but morally reprehensible:whistling:

I joined the 1% in the US so my knowledge of executives is much better than my watch knowledge!

joe_chill

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/12
LOL, Stalking? Then I guess your avatar would be objectification? Not against the law, but morally reprehensible:whistling:

I joined the 1% in the US so my knowledge of executives is much better than my watch knowledge!

1%, isn't that what the biker gangs is called?

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
Safari. Strap color goes nice with my cognac belt/shoes.

Capt_K

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/14
Unlikely the interviewer is looking for quality timepieces. He may recognize a Sub and its a Rolex which is a great watch for many salesmen, so that's my pick. ;-)

Great watch for many salesmen. Hahahahah

Capt_K

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/14
With all that said and done - I'd go with the omega 300. A non ceramic sub would be nice too