• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

How do you explain to ppl your REPS especially gen owners.

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
This is why I'm trying to stay away from modern pieces and only do vintage builds from here on out. I'd like to make any modern pieces be gens, but there are so many I want! LOL Anyway, this way I can truthfully say I sourced and built the watch from aftermarket and gen parts. Nobody needs to know anything more than that, unless they think it is fascinating and want to talk watches.

My wife's uncles are both very interested in it and since I showed them my collection, they have both since picked up a couple of fun pieces from Angus. Ironically, one of the board members for her one uncle's company owns a kit car company which makes gorgeous 1930s roadsters. It is called the Excalibur and holy sh#t this car is beautiful. This is a guy who would totally appreciate our world and vintage builds because he's in the same business, just with cars!

AGL

Renowned Member
7/6/11
There's currently only 3 people in my whole life right now, be it friends, acquaintances or a client that would even notice my reps.

The acquaintance noticed my PAM360 and said nice watch to which I said thanks. This is from a guy who's a very wealthy investment banker.

The friend hasn't noticed yet. He seems to have wealth (seems to have accumulated in the past 18 months from what I think was a death and inheritance but I don't ask). He has lots of Rolex, Breitling, Panerai and Cartier, his wife also has a Rolex - not sure if REP or GEN though, wouldn't ever ask though.

The client hasn't noticed and probably would never say anything. He has a Sub

My mom didn't notice the Rolex on my wrist when I went to visit the other day and she's my mom!! At the end of the day, people don't seem to notice the watch I wear which is great because I don't have to explain anything. If someone was to notice I'd say "Thanks, I've had a good year." Which would be honest as it's been pretty decent financially. :)

Ultra929

I'm Pretty Popular
Certified
26/9/12
Most don't notice and since there are literally hundreds of reps and many variations of each model, no normal person ;-) is going to inspect your watch to see if it's rep or gen.

The culture here on this forum, is to notice the differences to eliminate them. Personally I could never tell the difference between a gen and a rep Submariner or any Pam unless it's very poor quality.

The only way to get busted is of course when other person knows the actual value of a watch and it costs more than your car. Then it's like pulling up in a new Ferrari. Either it's not yours, you stole it, or its fake!

This guy or people you are speaking about, just tell them you like reps and move on.

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
Most don't notice and since there are literally hundreds of reps and many variations of each model, no normal person ;-) is going to inspect your watch to see if it's rep or gen.

The culture here on this forum, is to notice the differences to eliminate them. Personally I could never tell the difference between a gen and a rep Submariner or any Pam unless it's very poor quality.

The only way to get busted is of course when other person knows the actual value of a watch and it costs more than your car. Then it's like pulling up in a new Ferrari. Either it's not yours, you stole it, or its fake!

This guy or people you are speaking about, just tell them you like reps and move on.

This is important. I won't wear a rep if the gen version is totally unobtainable with my lifestyle. I would feel super paranoid wearing a rep of a 50k gen.

Keylog74

14/6/13
well

problem with watches are the gen owners always and this phrase from wikipedia i think explains everything : As of 2010 Rolex watches continue to have a reputation as status symbols.[SUP][10][/SUP][SUP][11][/SUP][SUP][12][/SUP][SUP][13] .

i think 90% of ppl buy them for this ! sad but true ,
[/SUP]

Keylog74

14/6/13
This is important. I won't wear a rep if the gen version is totally unobtainable with my lifestyle. I would feel super paranoid wearing a rep of a 50k gen.

real question is who can tell the watch is worth 50k ? you can wear a nice Vacheron Constantin that easy goes for 50K + and go unnoticed and than you wear a Rolex , and everyone points you as rich bastard.... every time i say i collect watches first question is if i have a rolex ....
im now thinking for over a year to get the Malte Tourbillon and a Breguet tourbillon. hard to pull yes but its more easy to just asnwer the way i do sometimes : watches are my dad collection , family is in elevator business . i think no one will notices this watches and if they 2 two are the scenarios : one they smile than move away from you ( guys with this gen watches tend to be really sophisticated ) 2 : they just like me , and will ask me when to get one to :D

adamweby

28/8/12
CONUS
no one knows and I don't explain anything at all. first rule about fight club :)

bothomasmusic

Known Member
18/11/14
North Carolina, USA
I love this topic. I work in healthcare and a surgeon I work with turned me on to Reps. He has a few Gens and a pile of reps. He can damn sure afford whatever he wants. Personally, I had a 90's model Sub no-date for ten years as a daily watch and could count the number of times someone asked about it on my fingers. I have owned several Gen's other than the sub including 2 date just, several omegas including constellation, seamaster, and PO. A few Tag's and lower priced things. The most questions people ask me are about my mid-sixties Seiko diver and Zodiac dress watch. My father bought them overseas while he was a soldier in Vietnam. I think some folks on here over-think things. I do have to agree that if you're watch looks more expensive than what you obviously make in a year it's a little hard to swallow. I have noticed a handful of people over the years that had on watches that looked way above their pay grade. In my case, as I assume for a lot of us, I could afford gen...but only a few. This is way more fun! Plus I can splurge and but 3 watches in a week (like I did this week) and not have to screw with savings/investments and such. I also like the fact that if I trash one or lose it it's no big deal and no fight with my insurance company.

ryantunna

I'm Pretty Popular
8/7/14
real question is who can tell the watch is worth 50k ? you can wear a nice Vacheron Constantin that easy goes for 50K + and go unnoticed and than you wear a Rolex , and everyone points you as rich bastard.... every time i say i collect watches first question is if i have a rolex ....
im now thinking for over a year to get the Malte Tourbillon and a Breguet tourbillon. hard to pull yes but its more easy to just asnwer the way i do sometimes : watches are my dad collection , family is in elevator business . i think no one will notices this watches and if they 2 two are the scenarios : one they smile than move away from you ( guys with this gen watches tend to be really sophisticated ) 2 : they just like me , and will ask me when to get one to :D

But thats the point. I don't want anyone to question anything. Rolex is not out of reach for pretty much the middle class and above. I think wearing a tourbi like breguet will draw too much interest and attention. anyone can just do a quick google and call you out. I have never once been asked if rep or not and people comment all the time.

GrimesBo

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
17/8/15
For all we know your friend the salesman, can ONLY AFFORD the watch he has on the companies dime, or as far as you know if is gen as he says, however I'm willing to bet if he is so against it, he probably has a rep himself. He is overly defensive for no damn good reason lol.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Perhaps you should get a TC Sub, and when you see him again, show him what you got this time, and tell him how he convinced you to forsake all Reps. Tell him how happy you are with your new Sub. ..................Lets see if he can tell ........... Many wheeler-dealers cant without a loupe. Or without adjusting the time. ........... He might just be taken aback when you tell him its a cash and carry fake !! ................then perhaps he will see the light and how delightful this hobby can be !! ........... Like a well made ford Cobra 428 roadster kit car !!

trikdaddy

You're Saying I Can Sell?
6/9/14
Lately if somebody asks if my watch is a fake I slip it off and hand it to them. "What do you reckon?" As a rule I do my best not to talk about watches in public. The only people worth talking to about watches are on this forum anyway.

Godly35

11/6/15
I have had occasion when I wear my gen Seamaster and somebody thought it's a rep. That's when I realized there is no point to argue. If they think you can't possibly have a gen, even if you wear gen and tell them all the knowledge you know on them, they will still think it's rep.
Now if people asks, I just hand it to them have tell them have a look themselves. 100% of the time (so far), none of them can say it's rep for sure. Rep or gen is based on how they judge you in their mind.

As of telling people about this hobby with reps, I just don't. People will not respect you for having the knowledge, they will most likely look down on you. It's the harsh truth...

AAH1483

Certified
5/12/12
Wow this has been an interesting topic. I myself own a gen super ocean I saved up for and was asked by a salesman who once sold breitlings if it was real , So I handed it over to him and he looked it over and it was but later that week I had on a rep super avenger and he still thought it was real so go figure. How many of them do know and who cares . I enjoy the many pieces I can afford to buy without breaking the bank .I love this forum and the people here. I will keep buying as long as its here to purchase.:drinks_cheers:

Keylog74

14/6/13
Perhaps you should get a TC Sub, and when you see him again, show him what you got this time, and tell him how he convinced you to forsake all Reps. Tell him how happy you are with your new Sub. ..................Lets see if he can tell ........... Many wheeler-dealers cant without a loupe. Or without adjusting the time. ........... He might just be taken aback when you tell him its a cash and carry fake !! ................then perhaps he will see the light and how delightful this hobby can be !! ........... Like a well made ford Cobra 428 roadster kit car !!

i think i will soon get a TC with a KH dial wich on my research happens to be best version . problem is that the only sub i ever liked was the two tone and sad no good version of this unless a franken one. and yea sure than we will see if he can spot it without taking appart ;)

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
Also, most people want to be polite. It is much more polite to just give a compliment or accept your answer if you say something is genuine, than it is to counter and accuse the person of wearing a counterfeit item. That takes a lot of gumption in any social situation because you are potentially starting an argument. Very tacky, in my opinion.

Regarding the Shelby Cobras, I was at a guy's house many years ago with friends. The guy's dad was the lawyer for a corporate raider and owned 3 Cobras. 2 were kit cars that he had his mechanic build for him and 1 was the real deal. He never drove the gen except for very special occasions and shows. The kit cars he drove all the time because they were so cool! His opinion was he loved the car and owned the gen, but he didn't want to put any wear and tear on it and he wanted to keep it in show condition. Like some of us with reps and gen watches! !

PAM1983

I'm Pretty Popular
6/4/15
Best topic ever. I have recently had a few co-workers take notice in a rep and just straight up told them. I have owned a few Gens and I tell you what financially it isn't worth my time to buy. Don't get me wrong if you can afford the Gen then by all means. I really enjoy this forum and the knowledge I have gained of Rep and Gens is absolutely without a doubt amazing.

As for getting called out... who cares. Live your life for what you love and never worry about the pertinacious asshole who thinks he is better than you. I seriously could care less what someone else thinks. I used to care and now I just don't.

This is why I stopped caring. Read some of this epicness. Google...... Mark Manson: The Subtle Art Of Not Giving A ****. I rest my case:whistling::punk:

efthimis

Mythical Poster
20/6/15
I also have no problem to call out when I wear a rep on my wrist even though I also wear some good value gens.. I just love watchmaking and really enjoy some of the well designed reps and I have the same enthusiasm every time unboxing takes place but with less guilt that I have spent a small fortune to buy a 7-15K USD timepiece. I also like to change watches and reps really provide all the need for a new piece changed quite often. There are some people that can really understand the whole rep world and of course some cocks that I will never bother to explain and if they ask I tell them that I wear a gen watch.. There are so ignorant that will never tell the difference since they don't bother to read and educate rather enjoy showing off and I really despise such kind of individuals

Sent from my S6 Edge+

telhws84

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/9/15
A very good friend of mine is a Managing Director of a watch company, he has a few genuine Rolex's, Audimars Piquet and more but doesn't say a bad word about replicas, he just says "you pay what your pocket can afford" he sometimes buys his two sons rep subs etc when in Hong Kong. If he was a man to disagree or have any type of negativity towards the replica world he wouldn't buy his sons them and would slag it off but let's face it to make a watch like a genuine one is an art form of detail in itself which is something most people would appreciate.