• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Cheapest Timegrapher anywhere!

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
If anyone is considering buying a Timegrapher then download the Aliexpress app and you can get one for $136 shipped. That's way cheaper than eBay at $150 plus shipping. Just delivered and a quick test to make sure it's working.

4aa5bb5d81fd61f0538e573c768e34b5.jpg

aflop

Put Some Respect On My Name
22/5/13
ipad and a headphone mic... timegrpaher app = $12

I'm guessing if he doesn't have an iPad it's gonna cost a lot more than $12!

There are a couple of apps out there which do you use and what are your thoughts on it mate?

umaxim

13/6/15
Timegrpaher for iPad is the best for me...

I'm guessing if he doesn't have an iPad it's gonna cost a lot more than $12!

There are a couple of apps out there which do you use and what are your thoughts on it mate?

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Acetimer's $160 and ships from Cali.

That Acetimer is exactly the same as mine, just with their brand name on it, so add shipping to that and it's a fair bit more (and I'm not in the US). But I am almost in tears as I do have an iPad and iPhone but hadn't looked for a timing app for a while (I see this is a fairly recent app) and had been using Kello which is only really adequate as it doesn't show beat errors in a usable way. A purpose timegrapher does make it easier to time in different positions I suppose, but is it $124 easier!! Oh well I've got it now so keep smiling and carry on!!

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Ace timer's machine is guarranteed or your money back. He makes sure it is calibrated properly and checked well before shipping. I would rather support Acetimer then some unknown source. He is a great guy to deal with, both in the Gen forums and the Rep forums. ............ You never know when you'll need service.

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Ace timer's machine is guaranteed or your money back. He makes sure it is calibrated properly and checked well before shipping. I would rather support Acetimer then some unknown source. He is a great guy to deal with, both in the Gen forums and the Rep forums. You never know when you'll need service.

Yep.

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Well I'd be fairly certain they're all pre-calibrated at the factory, and plenty of watch makers on TZ and WUS use exactly the same one and source them from lots of places including eBay (Cousins and Ofrei prices are hugely marked up to $250 and I'll bet they don't calibrate them). I'm not questioning the integrity of AceTimer in the slightest, but I'm not in the US and the shipping cost to and from them (if I did get a dud) isn't worth the extra $ for me frankly. As long as it works and is BNIB then I'm good to go! And it came from a proper watch tool supply company rather than some dodgy back of a truck seller.

umaxim

13/6/15
Yes - works great for me. I compared results with QCs and they were identical. it allows you to enter angle level for the movement manually to... i guess how well it works depends on the quality of your headphone mic. I have bose headphones and the mic is sensitive enough to get accurate data.

Does it actually work? 1 review. A bad one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
I also use that app with a Bose mic and it works very well. Much better than Kello

Sent from my iPad Air 2

SamuelWitwicky

Known Member
13/8/15
Yes - works great for me. I compared results with QCs and they were identical. it allows you to enter angle level for the movement manually to... i guess how well it works depends on the quality of your headphone mic. I have bose headphones and the mic is sensitive enough to get accurate data.

Hey umaxim, I tried searching for timegrapher in the App Store and it returned me one app called Watch Tuner designed by batlomiej swiatek. Lol is this the same app you are talking about?

Cheers,
Sam

umaxim

13/6/15
Yes! You need a good mic... Bose earbuds work great

Hey umaxim, I tried searching for timegrapher in the App Store and it returned me one app called Watch Tuner designed by batlomiej swiatek. Lol is this the same app you are talking about?

Cheers,
Sam

minty007

WABAC Machine Escapee
Supporter
Certified
13/5/08
Colorado, USA
Thanks for the app tip fellas...

I downloaded iPad Timegrapher app today and using just my Logitech webinar headset microphone, it's working beautifully. So much easier to use than the WildSpectra app on my android phone. This'll hold me over until I get a "real" dedicated timegrapher...

2015-09-23%2016.42.06%20-%20950.jpg

hub6152

I'm Pretty Popular
10/11/12
Don't forget to enter the correct "Lift Angle" otherwise the amplitude readings will be wrong. The values for the most common rep movements are: Miyota 9015 - 51deg, 2824/2836 - 53deg, 7750/7753 - 52deg and 6497/6498 - 44deg.

The limitations of these timegraphers (inc mine) is that they don't emit the actual sound of the escapement, so diagnosing balance faults and incorrect impulse jewel strikes are not possible. They're all basic tools for simple regulation and beat error correction. The advantage of the purpose timegrapher is that the microphone/watch holder is easily adjustable to measure readings in the 6 positions - dial up, dial down, crown up, crown down, 12 up and 12 down.

SamuelWitwicky

Known Member
13/8/15
Since we're on this topic, I've tried searching on the web and on this forum what the benchmark is indicating a need for a service. They haven't really returned satisfactory results. Do you guys know?

Cheers,
Sam