• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Seagull ST19

bokaba

Known Member
6/7/12
Could anyone comment on the reliability or any other experience with the Seagull ST19 chronograph movement? I am considering getting a watch with one these movements.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Bullet proof, the best chrono out of China by a long shot. A true column wheel chronograph at a steal of a price. These are used in 3k gens and are a development of the old Venus 75 that Sea-Gull bought the rights, plans and production line for way back in 1962 and used to produce the first China chrono, the Air Force '63. Production of the movement started again in the 80's with this improved version and no doubt will continue for ever. You can even buy a reissue of the '63 chrono, here's mine: http://horologium.com.au/2013/09/08/hands-on-sea-gull-1963-reissue

bokaba

Known Member
6/7/12
I will probably end up going with one of these. How is the accuracy?

T3RM1N4T0R

The Terminator Mod
Advisor
25/8/13
Best bang for the buck in the chrono movement category.

sent from my noob Samsung V5

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
My favorite movement and the only chrono movement that allows me to use the chrono without thinking that it might be broken.

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

umaso

Renowned Member
28/6/14
I had an alpha Daytona, which I believe the click spring broke. I hear it's a pretty common problem. I hear nothing but great things about this movement, but I'd be hesitant to buy one again.

Copadelrey

Known Member
22/1/15
Common problem is the chronograph hand doesn't reset or gets loose. But still... Much easier to work with rather than those eta 7750.

Zulu44gmt

3/7/15
Picked one up maybe two weeks ago, Mine is about 8s/day, haven't really checked the power reserve, but seems to be at least 40 hrs (probably because I like wearing it, it's not off my wrist for more than 20 hrs or so) At some point might break out the KELLO and see if I can get it closer to 2s/day.

I do enjoy the hand wind and mechanical chrono's- much different feel than wearing an auto all the time.

trailboss99

Head Honcho - Cat Herder
Staff member
Administrator
Certified
30/3/08
Common problem is the chronograph hand doesn't reset or gets loose. But still... Much easier to work with rather than those eta 7750.
It gets loose. That's not really a movement issue but sloppy QC by the hand factory.

jai04

Put Some Respect On My Name
19/8/13
Accidents and Emergency
I had an alpha Daytona, which I believe the click spring broke. I hear it's a pretty common problem. I hear nothing but great things about this movement, but I'd be hesitant to buy one again.
That's the only problem i heard about this movement, broken click spring, I am never hesitant about this movement.

bokaba

Known Member
6/7/12
If the click spring does ever break, are there members here who can replace it? I had a ST17 a while back and nobody could get Seagull parts.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Bullet proof, the best chrono out of China by a long shot. A true column wheel chronograph at a steal of a price. These are used in 3k gens and are a development of the old Venus 75 that Sea-Gull bought the rights, plans and production line for way back in 1962 and used to produce the first China chrono, the Air Force '63. Production of the movement started again in the 80's with this improved version and no doubt will continue for ever. You can even buy a reissue of the '63 chrono, here's mine: http://horologium.com.au/2013/09/08/hands-on-sea-gull-1963-reissue

+1, a work horse of the highest order

gotsung

8/1/16
Question guys.. I recently purchased a Vintage daytona with Venus 75 movement. Runs great but when I use the chrono function, the big second hand stutters quite a bit... Should I have it serviced right away or just stick it out without using the chrono function?

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Question guys.. I recently purchased a Vintage daytona with Venus 75 movement. Runs great but when I use the chrono function, the big second hand stutters quite a bit... Should I have it serviced right away or just stick it out without using the chrono function?

shutters, how much? You do know that the ST-19 is a 21,600 bph movement and its not going to be as smooth as an ETA clone.

gotsung

8/1/16
shutters, how much? You do know that the ST-19 is a 21,600 bph movement and its not going to be as smooth as an ETA clone.
Yea I have 2 one runs smoother than other. The other has noticible stutter. Like miyota stutter but not limited to gravity dependent position.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
I guess just live with it without using the chrono. Not like you have a lot of need to the function anyway. Servicing isn't cheap and watchsmith hard to fine, so u less u are preparing to spend the money.

Sent using Tapatalk

Blue screws

Horology Curious
23/5/16
I have the same: chrono second hand stutter.
Any watchmakers around - what to do ?

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
That's the only problem i heard about this movement, broken click spring, I am never hesitant about this movement.

If the click spring does ever break, are there members here who can replace it? I had a ST17 a while back and nobody could get Seagull parts.

The click spring is the only part Ive replaced on the st19. Ofrei has a click for the venus 175... or at least they did, it was about a year ago I did the fix.

Zazoo

14/6/16
Can for sure back you guys up with this. Ive owned a few watches with the st19 movement. Never experienced any problems what so ever with this one.