• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Replica SHADES review thread!!

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
I have been posting reviews of some astonishingly good rep glasses in the Aliexpress thread. These are getting too long now, and completely buried in the fast paced threads. So here's a compendium of my reviews on rep sunglasses.

I just got one pair of Oliver Peoples NDG in, and one New Wayfarer. These were all shot in my new softbox and lighting rig, I'm not 100% used to it yet, so these shots aren't perfect.

First up are the NDG. Now I had slightly low expectations with these. They cost about 50 dollars, where my gens cost me around 450 with tax. I figured I'd give them a shot since I love the style so much.

The product packaging on this was actually quite good. The outer box is like gen, and the case is almost better than gen. It's covered in a very nice, buttery leather. It closes and stays shut using magnets, also same as gen. Feels extremely sturdy, very nice.

Now onto the shades themselves. The look of these is outstanding, they are actually quite well done. Fit and finish is good. No sharp edges, no tooling marks, and a good polish. Where these fall flat is weight. These are quite a bit lighter than gen, 22.5 grams vs 35.5 grams. This is mostly due to the lighter, more flexible polycarbonate used for the frame material, and the rep haves polycarb lenses, vs the gens glass. The polarized plastic lens in the rep are very clear, as good as gen, and polarizes well. Even though the reps are light, they still feel rock solid, and fit well.

The hinges on this are of high quality, and are finished well. They open and close tightly, but smoothly. All marking on the frame look good, sharp, if only a bit too bold. The Oliver Peoples logo on the end of the arm is off, too small, not detailed enough. It isn't horrendous, but noticeable in a side by side comparison.

Now this is a side by side of my gen, and the rep. if it isn't obvious, matte black is gen, brown is rep. I've had the black NDG for a while now, so they aren't pristine.

When sitting side by side, you can tell that the frame shaping is spot on with the rep. They are no glaring tells from the shape. The biggest tells would be the dots from the frames skeleton. These are too big on the rep, and not finished as well as the gen. On the gen they are perfectly leveled with the frame. On the arms, the dots are way off from gen, but only noticeable in a comparison like this.

Comparing the printing on the inside of the arms, you can see some big differences. Good thing this part is never noticeable when you're wearing them.

The logos on the end of the arms are very different between rep and gen. On the gen, it's very 3D, and you can see the logo go into the frames themselves. On the rep, it's too small, too flat, but better than I had expected from them.

The last tell would be the visible skeleton in the arm. The fact the rep has it, is good, but it's waaaaay off. Since my gen are black, I've pulled an image off the web to compare for you.

The gen has the Oliver Peoples logo, beautifully engraved into the skeleton. In person, it's stunning. The rep has a generic metal skeleton. While it's still strong, it doesn't have any engravings.

In conclusion, this is a great pair of glasses for the price. They feel good, and look even better. There are some flaws here and there, but nothing deal breaking. BUT if you have the money, go gen. They feel a lot better in hand, and on your face. Plus, the lenses on gen Oliver Peoples are superb. Worth getting the real deal just for that.

timeonmyside

22/3/14
Wow incredible photos. Im really liking this particular pair of glasses and Im not a big sunglasses guy. Forgot to ask, do you have a link please?

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
Wow incredible photos. Im really liking this particular pair of glasses and Im not a big sunglasses guy.

Thanks man.

The NDG have always been one of my favorites. In the 3 years I've worn the gen, never seen another person with them, and they were only noticed be one Oliver Peoples fan! Very understated.

Suncoast

29/6/12
Great review, looking forward to your Wayfairer review as well!

Thanks a lot!!:thumbup:

Dakov

You're Saying I Can Sell?
20/3/15
EU
The Ali page I got them from was http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2015...s-Polarized-Designer-Glasses/32394817316.html

This guy seems to have the good version. I've seen some NDG that looked really off, but sold for the same price on Ali.
Great rewiew, thank you! As I mentioned in the Ali thread I'm about to pull the trigger on the ndg too. But I would get them with prescription lenses (and no sunglasses). So I was interested how you like the frame and it's good to know that it is quiet decent.

I found this seller were I can order prescription lenses too.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2014...women-Retro-plate-eyeglasses/32243099200.html

60$ for frame + prescription lenses (the thinner ones, 1.67) is a sweet deal. I probably go for the "asymptotic tea" model. Reviews are great.
Hope it's worth it :)

jamieroquai

26/12/12
The transparent ones are amazing, really beautiful that you can see the engraving on the skeleton

ProFound

17/8/14
I wear large shades (54mm Rayban Wayfarers), do you think these would look small on somebody that normally wears large shades?

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
I wear large shades (54mm Rayban Wayfarers), do you think these would look small on somebody that normally wears large shades?

These do happen to wear even smaller than the 50mm RB2140, they are narrower, and the lenses are smaller. So if you're used to 54mm wayfarers, these might not be a great fit. You can always go try them on in store. They are flat faced, and might still work for you.

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
Here are a pair of white RB2140 that I picked up a few days ago. The New Wayfarer review will be coming in just a bit..

Very impressed by the quality of these. They are just as solid as gen 2140 wayfarers, with actual glass G15 lenses. There were some fit and finish issues, but hey, these cost $35, so who cares?

They came in a box that felt the same, and looked the same as my gen pair, with all the proper labels on the outside.

Here's everything that came with it. I took the plastic off the glasses, and took them out of a RayBan plastic bag they were in.

The case looks and feels better than the case that came with my gen pairs. It's a little darker, the texture is actually better, and the text is just as sharp. Pretty surprising

The frames had some issues with sharp edges, some that would normally be heavily beveled or rounded. The brow portion, is a little too flat, accentuated by the sharp points at each corner. This is easily fixed with a little DIY though. It still looks very close to gen as is. The RayBan logo on the glass is perfect, and so are the logos on the temples.

The seven layered hinges are solid, and same as gen.

All markings are correct, and crisp, on the inside of the arms.

The RB etching in the glass is exactly like my gen pair.

Since I wasn't super stoked on how the edges were, and how flat the brow was, I decided to fix it. About an hour of careful sanding, wet sanding, and cape cod cloth, delivered these results. They are damn near the same as gen now, and no one would be able to tell in hands. Extremely happy with them now

There happens to be a higher quality, and more accurate version of the RB2140 out there. It only comes in black, matte black, and tortoise however. So if you want white or red RB2140, this is your only option.

ProFound

17/8/14
These do happen to wear even smaller than the 50mm RB2140, they are narrower, and the lenses are smaller. So if you're used to 54mm wayfarers, these might not be a great fit. You can always go try them on in store. They are flat faced, and might still work for you.

Thanks! They don't sell Oliver Peoples at any of the major sunglass retailers near me so it's been tough to find a store to try some on.

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
Thanks! They don't sell Oliver Peoples at any of the major sunglass retailers near me so it's been tough to find a store to try some on.

Yeah, they're only really sold at Oliver Peoples boutiques. Try on a pair of 55mm New Wayfarers, those wear almost exactly the same as the NDG

darby g

Renowned Member
23/2/15
Yesterday, along with the Oliver Peoples, I picked up these New Wayfarer RB2132. These were a bit harder to find, since I wanted the gradient blue lenses. Wasn't sure if I'd get the same quality as some of the other RB2132, luckily I did!

The packaging was quite good on these. No chemical smell from any of the contents, all of the correct booklets too. The glasses were in a "Never Hide" plastic bag, not sure if that's something done with the gen now, but at least it looks good. The exterior of the box didn't have the barcode sticker with the model information this time. In general, the presentation was pretty good with this pair.

The frames are of the same high quality I've seen out of these reps. Solid acetate, no wiggles or creaking. Polish is very good on these, no tooling marks, or unfinished edges. The lenses are glass, and a light gradient. The gradient on these, while light, is still the same as some of the gen I've seen. Clarity is perfect as well. The RayBan logo is quite sharp looking on the glass, and the RB etching is good too.

The hinges are as good as gen, and the markings on the inside of the arms are good as well. On thing you might notice, is the shape of the top of the arm. Instead of being flat across the arm, it is arched up. It should be flat, and level with the temple.

Here are a couple side by sides with a gen pair of RB2132. The gen are the larger 55mm, and the reps are the 52mm version. You can see how well they shaped these glasses when comparing the two. It's very well done

Overall, these were a great purchase. Very high quality, at typical low Ali prices. I'll see if these are the same as another batch of New Wayfarer, when those actually come in this week.

WatchFnatic

2/7/15
Yesterday, along with the Oliver Peoples, I picked up these New Wayfarer RB2132. These were a bit harder to find, since I wanted the gradient blue lenses. Wasn't sure if I'd get the same quality as some of the other RB2132, luckily I did!

The packaging was quite good on these. No chemical smell from any of the contents, all of the correct booklets too. The glasses were in a "Never Hide" plastic bag, not sure if that's something done with the gen now, but at least it looks good. The exterior of the box didn't have the barcode sticker with the model information this time. In general, the presentation was pretty good with this pair.

The frames are of the same high quality I've seen out of these reps. Solid acetate, no wiggles or creaking. Polish is very good on these, no tooling marks, or unfinished edges. The lenses are glass, and a light gradient. The gradient on these, while light, is still the same as some of the gen I've seen. Clarity is perfect as well. The RayBan logo is quite sharp looking on the glass, and the RB etching is good too.

The hinges are as good as gen, and the markings on the inside of the arms are good as well. On thing you might notice, is the shape of the top of the arm. Instead of being flat across the arm, it is arched up. It should be flat, and level with the temple.

Here are a couple side by sides with a gen pair of RB2132. The gen are the larger 55mm, and the reps are the 52mm version. You can see how well they shaped these glasses when comparing the two. It's very well done

Overall, these were a great purchase. Very high quality, at typical low Ali prices. I'll see if these are the same as another batch of New Wayfarer, when those actually come in this week.

wow , i love your review!
can you give us a link for a gradient one ?
all ive seen are regular 2132 with black g15...

AGL

Renowned Member
7/6/11
Thread idea is awesome! Photos are great too, maybe you could close the aperture so we can get more in focus?