• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

At what point/price does it not make sense to buy a rep but save for a gen.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Alex that is what I tell my wife. LOL. I don't do drugs, I don't run around on my wife. I love my watches.

JoeyT

Put Some Respect On My Name
11/8/14
I often wonder about this question. I am getting one gen Rolex and gunna see how long it takes before I miss the variety and the chase before getting back into reps. Price to me doesn't matter as much as build quality. I don't mind paying a guy like Tagfan1 a few grand to do a franken because I know he will build it with similar care and precision as someone who is putting together a gen Rolex. I used to be a quantity over quality guy but I'm very happy with my handful of Frankens and great OTB reps now.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Exactly Joey. I feel the same. Mike makes a watch, I would say, better than most. I hit it off with him when I saw the quality of the work he did for me. The rolex part of it makes it better. What I mean by that is, he does gen rolex repair and service. I just paid 650 for my wife rolex to get serviced. If I knew him it would have been less than half of that.

The builds he does are second to none. I have no complaints about any one of them.

Rjm17

Known Member
16/5/14
I think that the 10% rule makes sense, in some occasions though that rule can be broken if the gen is way out of budget.

DreadPirateRobert

Wtb Zenith Ton Up Chrono
Advisor
13/6/14
Fire Swamp
Thats a great read! Thanks for sharing!

So true Alex. One thing is that building them end up being cheaper, funner and you know what you have. Here in NY there are a lot of Rolex that are being sold with out papers. Lots of issues with those watches. My first Rolex was from Rolex. Stainless sub, 16610. Traded it in to Rolex for a 16613. The price back in 2000 for a 16610, if I remember correctly was about $4200 plus tax. Now I think the new one is close to $9000. To build one using all gen parts but case would cost a lot less. But your right. It won't have box or papers. As far as warranty. Get it build by a great watchmaker you will have a great warranty.

Also the fun of learning about the model. The fun of sourcing the parts. Slowly collecting them. Then to have a watchmaker make it. Just, to me, gives me a watch I can say it was worth it and I will enjoy it more than walking into Rolex, putting vasaline on my butt and grab my ankles. LMAO. I love this hobby. I have my Gens and I have a 90% gen 16610, a great franken TC 16610LV and just got a unbelievable franked 116710. All I can say is that Yuki makes a hell of a movement.

Alex if you got a minute, read this: http://forum.replica-watch.info/vb/showthread.php/215568-The-perfect-16610?highlight=occb2

junbug5150

Supporter
24/12/14
The good thing about gens are the potential to go up in value and I believe it's still tax-free on capital gains. I am considering a nice gen that I can give to my son when he's older. That said, variety or reps suits me better because I'm so indecisive.

pcardoza

Renowned Member
1/12/14
Certain Gens tend to increase in value, but not all....... Choose carefully.

The good thing about gens are the potential to go up in value and I believe it's still tax-free on capital gains. I am considering a nice gen that I can give to my son when he's older. That said, variety or reps suits me better because I'm so indecisive.

occb2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
Certified
10/6/14
Thanks DeadPirateRobert. It was a very fun few months. I will continue. Just trying to find which sports Rolex is next. I'm thinking of TC's new Yacht Master.

Robert

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15

That is pretty much why I bought my Rolex gen. To leave for my nephew....I may flip it for a BLNR but whatever I end up with, he will get. I would love to pick up a Tudor GEN at some point but the thing about having too many GENS is the servicing can get costly especially on watches that don't get used. That's why I narrowed my collection down to a handful of REPS. They will all get air time.

My Japanese quartz gens are not getting any wrist time though. But they are quartz and mostly stopped.

Omegafan22

26/2/15
I do not believe that the 10 percent rule is the absolute truth. If this was the case even a TC Sub would not be a good deal which it clearly is. The perfection compared to the gen is another important factor.
I own a Franken myself. Its a LMPO with gen dial. 300 + 200 dollar compared to the 6000 for the real deal seems fine to me.

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
Yep, it's a guideline I came up with to attempt to control my spending on reps. I ended up spending $14k on gen watches after that, and realized I need to just control my impulse buying. I'm still sticking to my 10% rule for reps, but everyone has their own method that makes them feel good about their purchases.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roller

This member is doing hard time, they pissed off the goat.
INMATE
16/1/15
Yep, it's a guideline I came up with to attempt to control my spending on reps. I ended up spending $14k on gen watches after that, and realized I need to just control my impulse buying. I'm still sticking to my 10% rule for reps, but everyone has their own method that makes them feel good about their purchases.

Like Marijuana leads to Heroine.......... Reps lead to gens LOL The only REP I have I want a GEN of is the Black Bay.....The PAMs are PERFECT Reps.. No need to buy the GEN.

gmg_3

I'm Pretty Popular
11/3/14
I would never go over 50% for a watch... build what you want and screw rules or social norms.

few of my on going builds and cost vs gen

16613 franken $3000 - gen $5-7k
1680 white $2500 - gen $5-8k
6263 daytona $5000 - gen $30-50k
5510 big C $3000 - gen 100k
PAM 3646 $5000 - gen 70-100k+
7032 Tudor MC $1200 - gen 25k+
Phong flake $1500 - gen 3-5k

rj999

I'm Pretty Popular
20/10/13
UK
"At what point/price does it not make sense to buy a rep but save for a gen. "

These days? Never. I have gens I bought in the 80s and before, but now it really makes no sense any more. Second hand lower priced watches like Rolexes are still more than twice the price of a good rep. And I'm very happy with my rep Explorer II thanks! Watches are, after all, only really wrist adornments of which I've bought one a month for 20 months or so. That's since I found the high quality ones via this and other sites.

CoolRob

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/10
This is a very interesting topic. Thanks OP for bring it up to discuss and love to see other's view on the matter.
For me, I would go with the 10% rule with additional requirwment as, 1. The watch has to have gen parts; 2. The watch has to be assembled by me; 3. The total cost < $1000. The fun of having a franken to me is to do the work myself. I would not enjoy an expensive franken that was built by some one else. Finally, it is not worth to pay over $1000 for non-gen watch

boostin20

8/9/10
USA
This is a very interesting topic. Thanks OP for bring it up to discuss and love to see other's view on the matter.
For me, I would go with the 10% rule with additional requirwment as, 1. The watch has to have gen parts; 2. The watch has to be assembled by me; 3. The total cost < $1000. The fun of having a franken to me is to do the work myself. I would not enjoy an expensive franken that was built by some one else. Finally, it is not worth to pay over $1000 for non-gen watch

I'm pretty much there with your #3. I saw a really nice modded AP for ~$2500 recently. It met my 10% criteria, but I'd rather buy a used gen at that point. Hell, I got my gen 2011 yellow dial superocean brand new for $2050, and my 42mm gen PO 2500 for $3150 from an AD. When I can find those kinds of deals, high-priced reps don't make much sense.

Jcgul

16/4/15
I have always loved Panerais, and once I started making a few bucks, I went to an AD to try on a few. I was completely turned off by their attitude and although I loved the look of the watches, after trying on several examples in the 11-14k range, I was simply unimpressed and far from blown away. I've since walked into 4 more ADs to try to pursuede myself to buy one, and can never justify the obscenity of the cost, considering my rep 243, 005, 127, 253, and 364 are all virtually indistinguishable from the real deal while on the wrist. Sooooo **** it. For Pams, I highly doubt I'll ever get the real deal, as I love my reps and have subconsciously convinced myself that they're genuine lol