• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first attempt at lume.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
It's only ruined if you dont like it :) its already broken why not experiment. Comes off easy enough anyways.

That's very true! :) Good point. I might just make it white/ blue glow.

CoolRob

I'm Pretty Popular
19/2/10
Very nice jobs on the lume. Can't wait to see thw sandwich dial.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
I'm at it again. I did this one a little sloppy... If I want to clean up the spots I can.. I'm just trying blue out on black.

Messed up the 8 so I erased it...

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Stock Noob explorer II vs my cheapie creation very similar color.

umirza85

12/6/15
Turns out I can do the 8! ;)

Wow great job on the 8!!! was that a first attempt without redoing it? How does it look in daylight?

Also I had a question about the tools. Where do you find oilers for a decent price, and what size oilers are you using?

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Wow great job on the 8!!! was that a first attempt without redoing it? How does it look in daylight?

Also I had a question about the tools. Where do you find oilers for a decent price, and what size oilers are you using?

That was my second attempt at the 8 for the first time... So the dial is messed up from the acetone. Just look on Amazon for an oiler set that's what I use. Thank you!! During the day it looks ok from far but up close... The dial is dis colored but that was my first attempt at a number.
33c8b9b39fb32ca8275c5515d8d61fdf.jpg
see that was after my first attempt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OmegaGirl

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/10/14
It's amazing to me the difference that the lume can make on a watch. You all have me wanting to get some of mine done! Maybe it is time to close my laptop and be happy with my sub-par lume watches...

dragonman4

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/13
Big Apple
For future ref, they make a masking liquid which i have seen used on painted dials, to prevent such accidents, never used it myself , but i plan to someday.

https://www.google.com/shopping/pro...a=X&ei=rlFzVarJB5KXyASV6YDYBA&ved=0CDMQ8wIwBQ

Here's a suggestion. There's something called plasti-dip. It's a rubberized coating you can apply over stuff. I used to use it on my cars for plastic stuff to give it a matte look. Anyway hit it with the plasti-dip cans a few times before you start working and then just cut out (or rub off while spraying before it dries) the plasti-dip off the areas you're going to lume. After you're done just peel the plastidip off the rest of the dial. If you do 3 coats it peels off like plastic. I'm going to try this once I start luming.

Raddave

Most Delicious of all Nipples!
Staff member
Global Moderator
Administrator
Certified
24/12/11
Here's a suggestion. There's something called plasti-dip. It's a rubberized coating you can apply over stuff. I used to use it on my cars for plastic stuff to give it a matte look. Anyway hit it with the plasti-dip cans a few times before you start working and then just cut out (or rub off while spraying before it dries) the plasti-dip off the areas you're going to lume. After you're done just peel the plastidip off the rest of the dial. If you do 3 coats it peels off like plastic. I'm going to try this once I start luming.

Let us know how it goes

Id be afraid of it damaging the dial, use a test dial first please

dragonman4

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/13
Big Apple
Let us know how it goes

Id be afraid of it damaging the dial, use a test dial first please

I'm starting a project with one of my broken 005s. Have a new 6497 with swan neck coming in because the old one has a broken mainspring I believe. Picked up a cheapy 005 dial from the bay to try my luck at luming.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
I'm starting a project with one of my broken 005s. Have a new 6497 with swan neck coming in because the old one has a broken mainspring I believe. Picked up a cheapy 005 dial from the bay to try my luck at luming.

You are going to attempt a sausage dial?!? Ohhh please do share your full experience with that.. I want to do my 212 but I'm scared of the numbers...

dragonman4

I'm Pretty Popular
22/11/13
Big Apple
You are going to attempt a sausage dial?!? Ohhh please do share your full experience with that.. I want to do my 212 but I'm scared of the numbers...

Haha yea I figure if I'm gonna try my hand at it I might as well go for a sausage. It's an extra dial either way so if I eff it up no biggie

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
I want to see this!!! :)

umirza85

12/6/15
That was my second attempt at the 8 for the first time... So the dial is messed up from the acetone. Just look on Amazon for an oiler set that's what I use. Thank you!! During the day it looks ok from far but up close... The dial is discolored but that was my first attempt at a number. e that was after my first attempt.

Awesome thanks, just in cwazies videos he uses a S, M, L. Just wondering if I can buy any set and be ok with it.

umirza85

12/6/15

Decided to try build a watch and am sourcing all the individual parts. I REAALLLLYYY wanted a sausage dial with old looking orange lume....but figured stick with sandwich the first time as I don't think it would go over very well:)

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Those sausage dials.... Lol