• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Spotting a REP Is near impossible

Sub007

Mythical Poster
Patron
Certified
18/8/14
I had a guy asking if the Seadweller I was wearing was real, I said with a slight smile "ofcourse not"..then he doubted my answer and said "ahh, you're kidding me right, I knew it was real, nice watch mate!"

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

marcinflair

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
22/5/15
Really chaps back in a day I use to be a night club operator in Dubai. Typical Dubai hot spot packed with millioners, celebrities, footballers and... Oil tycoons kids that just turned 18 and got a 5 million$ in Swiss bank account as a birthday gift. So they drink bubbly away and to get as much attention as they can they tip bartender with a Rolex! I saw it happen!

My point is, you look at a bartender in a bar and you smile at his Rolex. Sometimes it's worth more than your replica;) don't judge the watch by its owner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cavi

You're Saying I Can Sell?
16/6/15
I guess I have a odd perception. I love being able to wear my "Rolex"and "seamaster" at work, they look good and do impress, however if I owned a gen Rolex, I probably would not wear it as an everyday watch doing Dentistry. I love the way mine looks in good shape, I would not want my gen to get all scratched up. I do own a couple of vintage Gen.s but they are strictly dress up watches!!! The other thing I link is being able to have multiple copies with different bands and multiple brands. At 3 to 15 thousand a peice for genuines it would be tough. And if someone has the balls to ask me if it is gen or not, they will hear Gen every time unless they are a real close friend

livil

20/9/12
My point is, you look at a bartender in a bar and you smile at his Rolex. Sometimes it's worth more than your replica;) don't judge the watch by its owner!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spot on . worth considering that a bartender or waiter in UK ( london ) is on 1.5k a month on average . you can get most of the gen on a 0% credit 12 / 18 or even 24 month now with a 20 % down payment .

so a 5k Pam would work out a 1k down payment ( fairly easy to save up i guess ) and roughly £250 a month over 18 months ... fairly achievable for a bartender which i assume in a high percentage in their 20s without kids so far ?

this kind of deal makes it a lot easier to a lot of people to get that shiny watch they are dreaming of without getting them raped with a high credit card interest rate which is great !! ( unless you are an elitist **** who hates lower class to wear his preferred brand )

sarlan19

19/6/14
And if someone has the balls to ask me if it is gen or not, they will hear Gen every time unless they are a real close friend

I don't think this is an attitude most members would do here. Most would let it hang leaving the person who is asking clueless. No need to lie, it's bad form.

When asked I like to take off my watch and hand it over by saying :" is it real or fake? You tell me" or just :"yeah it's fake but it's a really good one. " It usually just start a nice conversation about watches.

But frankly nobody cares about your watch, no one will ask, or if someone talks about your watch it will be a compliment.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
current ap roo is easier to spot... DW positioning thickness..

I would not be able to spot a super rep PAM, I think it is close to impossible

:rofl:

Bad ass city you are from. But what about Rolex?

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
I had a guy asking if the Seadweller I was wearing was real, I said with a slight smile "ofcourse not"..then he doubted my answer and said "ahh, you're kidding me right, I knew it was real, nice watch mate!"

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk

I'd say, "does it look real"? and not say shit

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Or risk getting your ass kick for staring at a dude with a weird look on your face trying to zoom in on a date font, a bezel thickness..etc

Good luck with that shit

Fiveostang

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/11/12
Or risk getting your ass kick for staring at a dude with a weird look on your face trying to zoom in on a date font, a bezel thickness..etc

Good luck with that shit

We're not all homophobic you damn Texan lol

Rolexx

Renowned Member
21/1/15
I wear a full gold day date with cargo shorts and an iron maiden shirt on and don't give two shits who thinks what. I do love it when people stare but don't want to ask. And I've noticed people who work at restaurants and the like treat me much nicer when I have it on. Just an observation lol

ebzen02

I'm Pretty Popular
12/4/10
It's darn near impossible telling if a watch is fake if you are wearing any of the modern reps in any real life situations..

If you see Kay

Put Some Respect On My Name
26/1/09
So, why is everyone so concerned about the minutiae of the watch imperfections of reps when no one can tell the difference. The incabloc mod on Pam's is the pinnacle of absurdity when it comes to trying to perfect the rep.

Conquerer

27/5/15
So, why is everyone so concerned about the minutiae of the watch imperfections of reps when no one can tell the difference. The incabloc mod on Pam's is the pinnacle of absurdity when it comes to trying to perfect the rep.

The mind is a powerful thing. Knowing the imperfections of your watch makes you paranoid that others might notice, even if 99% of the people who actually notice and look at it are probably just thinking "nice watch." Even if they're wondering if it's real, there's no way they'd be able to tell unless they held it in their hand and were knowledgable enough to tell the difference.

The more accurate your watch looks, the more confident you feel. If it can pass as genuine upon a pretty decent inspection, you'd probably feel pretty smug wearing it just about anywhere. But if you have a Rolex with a 1.5x cyclops you're probably paranoid that anyone who gets a close look notices it, even though it's probably the last thing on their mind.

D

d4m.test

real life situations, this is what we actually see:) (when trying hard)
R1_4866c_zps4axleq14.jpg

r5_5354c_zpsgrbgln6g.jpg

Limztf

13/10/12
real life situations, this is what we actually see:) (when trying hard)
R1_4866c_zps4axleq14.jpg

r5_5354c_zpsgrbgln6g.jpg

That is so true! And your eyeballs will get real tired from all the wrist movement..it's almost impossible to determine gen from rep.

Best to just enjoy the sight and envy how good(or bad) it looks in the owner!

Imagination beyond imagination

Klokkeren

Known Member
24/1/11
I spotted a white explorer 2 on my way to work. I can say that it is impossible to spot things like ichs on the wrist, and it is near impossible to say that its gen or not. By the wearers clothing I assume it was gen.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07

It's the nature of the hobby imo. Same as if we were in a classic car club. Today, clone muscle cars are all the rage and in vogue. I see the same kind of thing in those clubs and that hobby. The quest to get something that "isn't" as close to "it is" as they can. Why, because it's a hobby, a quest and just flat out cool as hell. That is my opinion.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
I spotted a white explorer 2 on my way to work. I can say that it is impossible to spot things like ichs on the wrist, and it is near impossible to say that its gen or not. By the wearers clothing I assume it was gen.

We have been saying that for a decade btw.

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
Fellas,

I promise you this. The world knows that the the world is full of "fake" Rolex. Therefore, friends and others i know and have known that can afford gens and are into watches (rare) all say the same thing. Every Rolex they see, they assume is fake until told otherwise or they find out about. For me I guess, I would be looking at the appearance, the clothes and or attire of the wearer to think to myself. That's prolly gen. If it's a surfer or a college kid....I automatically think FAKE. Always have I suppose.

SheriffWho

Renowned Member
4/6/13
Here's what I find awesome...

As watch enthusiasts, when we see someone wearing a nice watch, it is our natural tendency to stare at the wrist of the wearer. And what's fun is when you end up catching each other staring at the other's wrist. While you were trying to catch a subtle look at the other persons moving wrist, they're doing the same. And we guys are just as bad at being subtle at staring at a wrist as we are at staring at big tits!