• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My first attempt at lume.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
My first attempt at lume and second attempt

This is a $6 eBay automatic watch that I took apart and tried a lume dot on the second hand.. As you can see the stock lume on the hands just sucks! I used some of the glow green liquid paint mixed in a tad of luminova just as a test. The glow is great!! My perfectly round dot... Not so much. Haha

D

d4m.test

Great job and a perfect testing object, this is how it all starts:)

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Very good work! Now get the rest of it done!

Oh I plan on it.. Baby steps! :) it's the perfect non-lumed watch to work on! I have a few more no name watches on the way. Next I will try my neon yellow noctilumina.com pigment. Thank you guys! It is a custom color they made for me! Can't wait to try it out!

YG51F

txrob779

Mythical Poster
Supporter
27/4/07
It definitely lumes bad ass. I know a few members that started out just like this that became LJ Jedi's. Keep practicing amigo.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
Hey that's great hitman. great way to practice. you can remove it also if you want to redo anything if you're not happy with how you applied it and practice again. That's a great job for your first time. looks bright.

Were those just paper stickers on the indices before? I had a sub before with nipple indices like that and I wondered if those were just stickers on there.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Hey that's great hitman. great way to practice. you can remove it also if you want to redo anything if you're not happy with how you applied it and practice again. That's a great job for your first time. looks bright.

Were those just paper stickers on the indices before? I had a sub before with nipple indices like that and I wondered if those were just stickers on there.

They seem like they are white drops of paint... Certainly not lume.. Lol I tried to pull one off and it was solid so I'm guessing no?

Thank you everyone! It's not perfect but it's bright!

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Looks good for just starting out and you definitely picked the right stuff to go with... noctilumina is great.

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
Looks good for just starting out and you definitely picked the right stuff to go with... noctilumina is great.

A compliment from one of the Masters...keep up the good work hitman...we need folks to pick up the torch. (So to speak LOL)

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15

They are great!!! I told them I wanted yellow neon highlighter and I got yellow neon highlighter!!! I noticed my dots get progressively worse as the lume dries out. They start looking less like dots and more like rocks.. Haha. I am going to attempt the 12 o'clock triangle next. Thanks guys!!

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
They are great!!! I told them I wanted yellow neon highlighter and I got yellow neon highlighter!!! I noticed my dots get progressively worse as the lume dries out. They start looking less like dots and more like rocks.. Haha. I am going to attempt the 12 o'clock triangle next. Thanks guys!!

What are you using to mix in and with? What ratio binder: pigment are you using and what binder did you buy?

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
What are you using to mix in and with? What ratio binder: pigment are you using and what binder did you buy?

This round is just glowinc green paint with some luminova mixed in to make a slight paste. I don't want to use my noctilumina until I get a little more experience. I might just use the noctilumina stuff tonight. I got their #3 binder.

egroegart

1/7/13
Keep us posted on your progress. I don't know very many people that have tried luming. I find it fascinating though. I think it's a great craft to learn. I've watched cwazies videos on it and he makes it look so easy, but I know it's not easy at all., but probably with more practice it gets easier and you just get better at it.

egroegart

1/7/13

Strodda how do you remove the old lume from indice cups? I've wondered that.

Strodda

Supporter 'smith
Supporter
21/1/11
TX/USA
Ok, good binder 3 is definitely what you want. When you use it and their pigment, you won't have the issue of it drying up on you.

For removing the old lume, I just soak in acetone. Its ok to do that with silver and gold indices, but anything thats blue, all strip off. I found that out the hard way a long time ago with a UN.

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
I figured the noctilumina wouldn't have this issue. Since it's made for watches. I bought the glowinc stuff because it's a lot for cheap and figured learning with it was a good idea.. I am fascinated with lights, and things that glow so naturally I love luminescence! Usually people that are very good make things look easy.. Haha it's hard as hell just to make those dots.. Well for me it was. I start to get nervous and my hands start to shake. Then I remind myself the watch was $6. Lol

Yes acetone removes it very well from my little mixing bowl. I'm afraid to put that on my $6 watch it might melt. :p

parklanephil

I'm Pretty Popular
Patron
Certified
4/6/14
This was my first lume attempt.
I need practice but not a disaster
fde576849fb2587f762b2c90152b1d95.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rsh

3/4/10
Good lume products make all the difference, good binder is crucial. Nice set of oilers is good to have. Hands are the easiest. Soak the hands in alcohol and remove lume, I would use some roddico and punch the softened lume out using a scraping tool from behind. Once clean place the hands on toothpicks and apply lume from behind and it fills the rectangular / long spaces easily. LUme markers are harder but after a while it becomes easier

Thehitman

RadDave’s Punching Bag
Supporter
Certified
25/3/15
Good lume products make all the difference, good binder is crucial. Nice set of oilers is good to have. Hands are the easiest. Soak the hands in alcohol and remove lume, I would use some roddico and punch the softened lume out using a scraping tool from behind. Once clean place the hands on toothpicks and apply lume from behind and it fills the rectangular / long spaces easily. LUme markers are harder but after a while it becomes easier

I'm going to have to try the good stuff this weekend I will post pictures! :) this is turning into the official lume thread! Another first lume nice!