• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Pulled the trigger on a GEN Batman

roadhog99

Known Member
1/7/10
Hi all,

So after a long time deliberating, I finally pulled the trigger on my first GEN Rollie, a GMT Batman.

Having worn it for a week or so now, I thought I'd share my thoughts about it.

Two main thoughts have hit me since buying it.

1. As a Rolex fan, actually owning a gen feels amazing. Hard to describe, but as everyone says here, gen is gen, and knowing that its a gen on your wrist is a great feeling (irrespective of whether or not others just think your wearing a rep). Also the build quality is sublime. It just feels so well put together. Arguably it should, considering the price, but it doesn't disappoint!

2. As a rep fan, I have to say that I'm also blown away by how close the current reps are. Its the first time I've been able to properly compare a rep and gen side by side. I will try to post some pics at some point, but when put next to both my franken 116610LN and V4 116610LV, its amazing how close the reps are.

Obviously my franken looks very close to gen, but even the V4 stacks up surprisingly well. Its also made me realise that a lot of the things we obsess about, are really not that big a deal. Even on my gen, the crown doesn't quite line up perfectly on the rehaut LOL!

Side by side, in real life, in real light conditions there's very little to tell them apart. To me, the main thing that gives the reps away more than anything is the difference in build quality. The second I pick them up, I can feel the difference.

I'd seriously say though that if you had say a V5 Sub C and stuck a gen crystal in it (and possibly paint mod), unless someone inspected it in minute detail, they probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

I will try to post some pictures soon........

tchockie

Renowned Member
2/5/14
excellent choice. i tried one on at the AD a few weeks ago and posted a photo. it really does look nice and the batman pops while being not too loud. the blue gmt hand is a perfect touch. i think you're gonna love it. i think one of my next gens will be a gmtII.

enjoy! post a lot of pics bro!

Capt. Obvious

Put Some Respect On My Name
5/5/13
Niiice! It's true! Nothing beats a GEN feeling... but then again I've never owned a franken.

Let's see some pics then!

vegasbaby

11/3/14
Congrats! I can't wait for the day I post about my gen purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elconquistador

Certified
10/6/10
I have a gen ceramic GMT. Great watch. Would be happy to pay Batman money for a Pepsi. But those ******* whores want $35k for it.
I am not bitter. Jk. I am super bitter. *******.
Yours is great and probably worth the extra scratch.
******* swiss *****. :)

Mendota

16/10/08
MN
They screwed us on the pepsi but a stainless coke would be great if it has a red GMT hand and red text on the dial.

roadhog99

Known Member
1/7/10
yep, pics or it might not have happened.

Lol here's a couple to keep you going! Will try to post more later

839be261da0d7abbc092b2998840d18b.jpg
a7195d7ad317d5d2f356485c233f6699.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Smoke

Legendary Member
18/3/13
Yes Mr hog that's what I'm talking about wear it well bro

Bigjule111

Renowned Member
1/3/11
Nj
Congrats. And yes I agree that we over analyze the reps. I've owned about 4 gen Rollies in my time. And never broke it down the way we break down our reps. Example. I've owned a Gen gmt master and I wouldn't have even cared of the sequence of the hand stack but now as I get into the reps. We tend to over analyze these watches as no gen owner would ever do to there gen. Maybe is it the insecurities of wearing a rep? Who knows. Lol. Well congrats again brother

J_North

You're Saying I Can Sell?
14/1/15
That's an absolutely stunning watch man! I can't wait 'till they come with an updated version of the GMT Batman.