• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

My New TC Sub V6! [Pic Heavy]

asdfpenguin

8/9/14
My biggest complaint is with the date change on the TC Sub. I'm pretty sure the gen 16610 has the date change at exactly at midnight, while the TC changes slowly from ~1145-1205.

B&E355

9/2/15
This is why you buy a TC. For that utterly gorgeous dial. The way the light bounces off and makes the white and shadow gold look almost like gilt. The 3D hands.

The raised lettering. Nothing comes this identical to gen.

IMG_4888.jpg

IMG_4890.jpg

IMG_4896.jpg

IMG_4897.jpg

IMG_4899.jpg

B&E355

9/2/15
And now for perhaps something a little different, we observe the Sub in its natural habitat.

No-thread-hijack-intended.

IMG_4850.jpg

IMG_4853.jpg

IMG_4854.jpg

IMG_4855.jpg

IMG_4856.jpg

IMG_4857.jpg

IMG_4858.jpg

Mendota

Put Some Respect On My Name
16/10/08
MN
Looks beautiful. Can you just replace the pearl and call it a day, or is the whole insert in need of replacement?

B&E355

9/2/15
Thanking you. :)

No you certainly can, but you just wouldn't IMO. The pearl is where the money and look is. So if you're finding a gen pearl (much harder to find by themselves), you might as well just take the insert around it as well. Alternatively you could find a cheaper shithouse condition insert that still has a nice pearl, and then take it out. Needless work though.

For a $200 insert, say. $180 of that is the pearl.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11
Great pics buddy. I agree about the insert/pearl issue - a new/lightly used gen bezel insert is not a massive investment and is easy to install (unlike the Sub C equivalent on both counts). I will buy one eventually [emoji12]

DVNE

7/11/12
My biggest complaint is with the date change on the TC Sub. I'm pretty sure the gen 16610 has the date change at exactly at midnight, while the TC changes slowly from ~1145-1205.

Lmfao..... for reals?!

B&E355

9/2/15
Great pics buddy. I agree about the insert/pearl issue - a new/lightly used gen bezel insert is not a massive investment and is easy to install (unlike the Sub C equivalent on both counts). I will buy one eventually [emoji12]

Cheers, me too. For such a visual aspect of the watch, availability and ease of install, it's a no brainer.

There really is nothing wrong with the TC insert as the pics show, but it's just one of those 'nothing compares to gen' things I suppose.

pjsayer

I'm Pretty Popular
18/5/11

My biggest complaint is the v6 is so good it has made much of my watch collection redundant as I don't want to wear anything else!

vanx

Known Member
17/8/13
Just confirmed the payment.. I'm officially waiting for my V6 from today!!! It may seems exaggerated.. but I've already prepared the baby oil for the bracelet :cool:
Anyone knows if TC will send me tracking No, or he will silently ship it?? I don't want to flood him with mails.

B&E355

9/2/15
How are your all your lumes?

Mine is like a lighthouse under a direct charge (non UV, just incandescent or sun) for all of about a minute and then dulls down for the next 5 or 10.

Gen Rolex non tritium lumes are generally considered to be pretty piss poor, so while authentic, it's a bit of a shame to me. I certainly wouldn't trust it to actually dive with.

Would getting a UV flashlight charge on it be worthwhile to help it stay bright?

asdfpenguin

8/9/14

Mine is like a lighthouse under a direct charge (non UV, just incandescent or sun) for all of about a minute and then dulls down for the next 5 or 10.

Gen Rolex non tritium lumes are generally considered to be pretty piss poor, so while authentic, it's a bit of a shame to me. I certainly wouldn't trust it to actually dive with.

Would getting a UV flashlight charge on it be worthwhile to help it stay bright?

My lume seems to be actually pretty nice. It glows like a torch for probably 5 mins after a few minutes in the direct sun or light and then dies down. However, the lume is still readable for hours in the dark after a full charge; dim, but readable. I've charged it under UV light and it ******* GLOWS, i don't know how much difference there is with regular direct sunlight though.

asdfpenguin

8/9/14
^I concur. Wow. My gen rolex doesn't even turn at midnight. Usually a couple of minutes to 12.

This is probably going over my head, I'm not quite sure why you guys are saying "wow." I was just trying to point out that the date changes slowly from ~1145-1210 in the TC whereas, in the gen sub, the date snaps over sometime around midnight. I thought the 2824 also had that feature, but I guess i'm wrong

B&E355

9/2/15
The actual date flip turn at a certain time is governed by how accurately the smith aligns the hands with the wheel yada yada etc. Which is not always bang on 12 gen or non-gen.

As stated, asdf is referring to the 'progression' of the change. It doesn't just sit and flip at a given time. It gradually moves out of the window for a good 10 minutes, slowly, before snapping.

I noticed it as strange too, but it's certainly no biggie for me.

asdfpenguin

8/9/14
The actual date flip turn at a certain time is governed by how accurately the smith aligns the hands with the wheel yada yada etc. Which is not always bang on 12 gen or non-gen.

As stated, asdf is referring to the 'progression' of the change. It doesn't just sit and flip at a given time. It gradually moves out of the window for a good 10 minutes, slowly, before snapping.

I noticed it as strange too, but it's certainly no biggie for me.

Exactly what I was trying to say, thanks. That and the lack of serial number engraving on the case and bracelet are the only real tells, and nobody would even know that. This watch is amazing!

Mendota

16/10/08
MN

Actually, when diving you don't want the watch glowing like a torch. When I got certified, we were taught to take our flashlights and hold the end of the flashlight onto the face of the watch or the dive timer that was attached to our tanks. You literally only need the lume to be charged for a few seconds - literally only long enough to read it. You read the face and then ditch it so your eyes stay adjusted to your surroundings. In fact, if it is glowing like a torch for hours that would be distracting, not helpful.

There's actually a professional diver here on RWI who has dived with his 5512 for over 30 years. I'd be curious to hear his opinion about this subject. I was only recreational, and guaranteed having a flaming torch glowing beside me would have been distracting.

As desk divers, we want the max lume possible. Superluminova all the way. [emoji1]