• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Interesting thread from watchbus about AP clone movement

fire007

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
1/3/13
I am closely watching this. That would be a major development in the Rep industry and certainly a winner for APs reps sales

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
We all of course hope that the factory can do a miracle and come up with a clone. But I'll allocate my hope to expect for as much as a decorated 7750. If it made the case to be thicker again, I'll pass.

Maxsky

6/3/12
Afetr all, we are not waiting for a perfect clone of the 3120... we all know it's not possible with the same precision.

But we can hope a quite good copy, not 1:1, but something better gen-looking than the usual movements we get since many years.... :)

ciceroyeah

Renowned Member
8/8/13
I really doubt that a perfectly replicated AP escapement is integral to a mechanically functional copy of a 3120 movement. Actually, a LOT of the stuff that's in the gen movement is totally unnecessary to make a fully functional, externally visually-identical replica. Cutting a few of those corners reduces cost enormously but performance only marginally.

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I agree. If they use a 3120 clone, they will need to redesign their dials, hands and cases. Plus rerelease older models. Major capital investment.

Geriko

Looking Around
19/5/12
I think we will not see a full clone of the movement. Let me explain why I decided to: We have all seen the dials on the Grand Prix by J-factory. You see that a date window at the same place, it says that the dial is built for a typical 7750. Probably we will see just a decorative plate for 3126 based on 7750. I would like to be wrong, but I think that will not be a miracle.
0b24551910439da9a1c6ed9f6797a212.jpg
96dad597afcb1f5233090ab84685cc9c.jpg
sorry for my bad English

ciceroyeah

Renowned Member
8/8/13
Nobody ever went broke underestimating rep factories. My point isn't to say it's likely, just that it's possible. Clearly making a truly identical movement isn't, but a bare-bones chinese version of the 3120 could be done economically. And any model with an ETA or miyota movement wouldn't require a major case reddesign.

dannyw

11/3/14
http://watchbus.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=2221&extra=page=1

He released new info on the clone movement. The frdt part is about the pam604 which pam lovers are heat in discussion and second part is about meeting jf owner n confirming clone release in April.

His info has always been quite accurate, but I really hope he doesn't misunderstood difference with clone n decorative.

Anyway, we shall see a lot of AP thrown into the m2m market :p

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
I do not understand the hype for this Roo clone movement.
It is a a7750 with decorated bridges, you will get a thicker case and a more
unreliable movement. Is anybody expecting anything else? you must be dreaming.

sent from my iPad Air

vpx

Renowned Member
2/11/10
I concur with @guru. I would rather see a drop-in replacement ETA clone 2836 or 21J with a plate to transfer seconds to 12, freeze the other subdials and center second hand and have a non-functioning chrono. Honestly I don't care about the chrono functions and don't use them, but this would allow a more reliable movement to be offered for less.

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14

sent from my iPad Air
Agreed as my recent Noob ceramic Diver has a problem after 1 month + or -
I can't anymore change manually the date and I even can't regulate minute and hour, only if I go backwards... WTF

stxtf

Renowned Member
4/4/11

sent from my iPad Air

What if they repped and decorated the LWO? That'd solve the thickness problem.

vpx

Renowned Member
2/11/10
What if they repped and decorated the LWO?
Yes, but it may not solve the typical QC and workmanship issues. The A2892 isn't too good quality and that would have to be paired with the cloned DD module.

Paladium

15/2/13

sent from my iPad Air

Fully agreed, just dont get it on the clone hype. Its does not bring any more stability to the already risky sec@12 decorated 7750.

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
What if they repped and decorated the LWO? That'd solve the thickness problem.

That is a 2 year project and the chrono module is not easy to rep. I don't think there is any ROI for the maker

Sent from my iPhone

Maxsky

6/3/12
Wharever they made we will discover it in 2 monthes and everyone will be free to buy it or not, it will not change anything for them if a bunch of people on the forums disagree with their decisions lol

So have a seat, take a drink and relax. There's tons of good super reps out of AP rep world guys ;)

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
The maker's thought is: what other watches that can make use of the gen AP movement if we clone it? Nope? Only AP reps can use it?
Then it's not worthwhile at all.

:lol:

*Sent from my fingers using my head*

guru

Advisor
Advisor
30/9/06
The maker's thought is: what other watches that can make use of the gen AP movement if we clone it? Nope? Only AP reps can use it?
Then it's not worthwhile at all.

:lol:

*Sent from my fingers using my head*

ROI arrived in China

sent from my iPad Air

Miguel Piguet

I'm Pretty Popular
14/5/13
Agreed as my recent Noob ceramic Diver has a problem after 1 month + or -
I can't anymore change manually the date and I even can't regulate minute and hour, only if I go backwards... WTF

I wouldn't assume it's because of the new decorated bridges/parts... Remember our regular movements do go DOA sometimes and after a few days of wear ... It's just one of those things with reps I guess, with a good service it might run better haha

tinitonsi

Put Some Respect On My Name
Patron
Certified
21/3/14
I wouldn't assume it's because of the new decorated bridges/parts... Remember our regular movements do go DOA sometimes and after a few days of wear ... It's just one of those things with reps I guess, with a good service it might run better haha
But it happens to me the 1st with this watch, mate.
I had/have several watches modded and none, serviced and none, gens and frankens, but a movt that brokes in less than a month, just this :(
So......... STRANGE