• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

What does Franken mean?

zamberla

Renowned Member
21/6/14
I know this will come across stupid question to many but i keep seeing this term floating around.

Im getting that it has to do with modding. Very high quality modding (?).

D

d4m.test

A Frankenwatch will automatically consume all Your time so You´ll never know where it went...
Artya-Kiss-3.jpg

The exhausting and complete information would be here: http://www.mattbaily.ca/en/blog/2012/03/12/watches-depth-collecting-vintage/

The Frankenwatch has 2 identities depending who looks at it:

Gen-owner and collector: will most probably frown on it as something less than original
Rep-owner and enthusiast: will most probably jump with joy at it has been improved to be better than a standard rep

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
"Franken Modding".......... The RWI Dictionary says : 'the art of transforming a Replica to look more Gen-like and time period correct by using various Genuine or high quality parts to 'transform' that Cinderella watch into a princess...........or a frog into a prince.

SRower003

18/11/09
Franken means that I spent a lot of money on genuine parts...but in the end I still have a rep.

Dowbs

I'm Pretty Popular
7/2/13
It means a great deal of electricity has been passed through the watch case to align its resonant frequency to a more gen-like Swiss standard.

But seriously, what everyone else said, it can be a rep with gen parts, or a rep with parts from other factories (eg. Panerais that are composed of H-fac case set, Noob CG, etc).

Shooboo

Renowned Member
8/9/13
"Franken Modding".......... The RWI Dictionary says : 'the art of transforming a Replica to look more Gen-like and time period correct by using various Genuine or high quality parts to 'transform' that Cinderella watch into a princess...........or a frog into a prince.

sometimes its the opposite when not done correctly :)

shelby1501

Mythical Poster
Supporter
Certified
18/10/11
or a rep with parts from other factories (eg. Panerais that are composed of H-fac case set, Noob CG, etc).

Not many people would agree with it. Franken usually means only rep that contains gen parts (OEM strap doesn't count of course). :)

Dowbs

I'm Pretty Popular
7/2/13
Not many people would agree with it. Franken usually means only rep that contains gen parts (OEM strap doesn't count of course). :)

Hmm, well I've seen more than a couple watches like that labelled as "franken" on M2M, I figure it should count if it's in the pursuit of making the watch appear more gen-like. Maybe not.

Fiveostang

Put Some Respect On My Name
6/11/12
Hmm, well I've seen more than a couple watches like that labelled as "franken" on M2M, I figure it should count if it's in the pursuit of making the watch appear more gen-like. Maybe not.

Typically that's considered modded

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
It can be a gray area for sure. One part gen, is it a franken? Slap on a gen Rolex sticker, is it a franken then? Probably not. All gen parts minus the case... Uber Franken? I digress. You make the call.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
It can be a gray area for sure. One part gen, is it a franken? Slap on a gen Rolex sticker, is it a franken then? Probably not. All gen parts minus the case... Uber Franken? I digress. You make the call.

Are you saying my Quartz sub I got on canal st with gen hologram sticker isn't a franken!! You sir should be shot lol.

WingNut

Brig Warden
Supporter
19/4/12
Franken, Super Franken, Ultra Franken...for a few hundred more I coulda' bought a gen Franken. :culpability:

Dowbs

I'm Pretty Popular
7/2/13
Typically that's considered modded

True, I definitely get what people are saying, I'm just thinking if you take "franken" based on the origin of the word then any piece that's made up of parts from various sources - gen or higher quality rep - should be "technically" considered a franken.

If the forum consensus is that the term only applies once gen parts start entering the equation though, I'm cool with that too, just thought I'd offer another perspective for the sake of conversation because modded doesn't have to necessarily mean the addition of any new parts.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
Good point brother I can definitely see how one could arrive at that conclusion as Frankenstein was made up of all different parts. Who the hell am I to tell anybody what to call their watch. Lol didn't mean to come off as a jerk. [emoji2]

Dowbs

I'm Pretty Popular
7/2/13
Good point brother I can definitely see how one could arrive at that conclusion as Frankenstein was made up of all different parts. Who the hell am I to tell anybody what to call their watch. Lol didn't mean to come off as a jerk. [emoji2]

No worries man, you didn't come off that way to me, I just wanted to explain my reasoning while playing devil's advocate :p

R2D4

Admin
Advisor
15/4/07
I think that's the point though, we don't make up rules and grading, we just want watches. ;) Have fun, eat corn, kill a wasp, drink a whiskey, franken a watch ect. ;) Next stop is the Time Zone grading scale for reps? I hope not. I want that franken FiveOh has. lol

Call it Mod-a-frank or just skank, at the end of the day... It's been taken apart and touched by someone else and probably gonna break. haha.. jk.

Fiveostang

6/11/12
Call it Mod-a-frank or just skank, at the end of the day... It's been taken apart and touched by someone else and probably gonna break. haha.. jk.

I love skanks how did you know lol