• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

J12 Grand Prix Limited Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark3

Renowned Member
27/7/14
I'll grab the forged GP to see how the reliability is. What a great way to test it with one of the most expensive reps lol.

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk

I can tell you that the ETA 7750 isn't that reliable either. My gen Chopard Mille Miglia's ETA7750 has broken 4 times on me within 1 year period. Now I quit wearing it as I truely hated its inreliability. Basically the Power reserve was shitty, the seconds dial eventually stopped working, the time was almost never correct, etc.

But with my V4 FC I tried a $100 movement service and I am satisfied with it: no excess noise where some people do talk about on this forum and satisfied it is all tested: waterproof at 5 ATM, time accuracy tested and movement fully lubed/serviced.

But has anyone else used this service before? PT also offers this service for chrono movements for $120. Do you think it could be interesting?

I am planning to have PT do a movement service (as other EU watchsmiths on this forum have long waiting lists) if I buy a FC GP by J12 (of course only if they make a very good quality rep that satisfies my nitty picking love for details)

I am now making a bold statement: if J12 makes such a good quality rep that is like almost a 1:1 match like the divers almost match the gen diver I would not mind paying $900 for such a rep. With PT movement service and 3-shipping that and WU costs I will probably pay a thousand Euros for this rep. And I would not mind this if it is such a good copy

ZoomBoy

I'm Pretty Popular
9/11/11
I'd never do a service from a TD prior.

Sent from my X909 using Tapatalk

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
jam .. whats your ...your verdict ?? it more then just nickel plating and red clear coat .. i was also under the impression that all that was needed !! how wrong was i after handling the gen several times !!

Haha. I think your dial is the only solution for future J12 red GP owners. Can't wait to get it! I'll also compare your dial and mine when I have it in hand.

Shade

You're Saying I Can Sell?
18/8/11
The sample dial doesnt look metallic enough.. Probably the lighting but I think its still too red atm..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

d4m.test

So the plan is... to buy j12 gp then change the tacky + dial with zorro one?

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
The best way to get the right color on the center dial is through anodization. You can also use a base of metallic lacquer and then a second thin colored coat over it. Once you start layering though your tapisserie definition slowly gets distorted. I do not know if J12 dial maker ever makes use of these techniques or if color match is an absolute priority.

Garuda

I'm Pretty Popular
15/12/12
repaint the dial until happy with color is possible then big problem is making a sticker or print for the branding. only seen jamztio and stevenlee that solve the problem.

Shade

18/8/11
Metallic lacqure base it then paint it "may" be a solution for colour but with their "craftsmanship" I bet they'll have uneven tapisserie in the end and the depth wouldnt be the same (because your paint will be thicker overall)...

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
Yes, both those things are challenges:
1.) maintaining tapisserie sharpness
2.) re-applying brand name logo
There are ways to overcome them though.
I cannot believe though that we are already talking about a set of modifications for this watch, because in many regards it should eliminate the need for these modifications. The modifications were required by a poor Noob dial. J12 has to chance to correct the mistakes of Noob here.

Miguel Piguet

I'm Pretty Popular
14/5/13
The best way to get the right color on the center dial is through anodization. You can also use a base of metallic lacquer and then a second thin colored coat over it. Once you start layering though your tapisserie definition slowly gets distorted. I do not know if J12 dial maker ever makes use of these techniques or if color match is an absolute priority.

That's the main problem with J12 and these other factories tbh, so I don't think colour match is priority as we've seen time and time again with the recent reps. Don't get me wrong they do a very good job with the structure, material and everything else but it's unfortunate they always lack 'attention to detail' which is one thing gens have .... It's as if the flaws are deliberate bcoz they get the hardest and complicated processes right but when it comes to minor things like Font, colour, dial, tachy, alignment they're just not as bothered, :picard: but then again what do we expect, like everyone says 'It's a rep' .... So lets take her for who she is regardless of her flaws .... And maybe mould/mod her into what we want :hehehe:

Shade

18/8/11
Lucky for you modding may be a viable option, Im too far away to justify shipping costs back and forth just to mod it. I have to accept the reps "as is" haha..

Well tbh Im a fotographer, and to match a colour is not an easy task. When I have edited one picture, and a client ask me to edit it exactly the same 100%, for a second picture, I personally cant do it. The closest I can get is a 95% similiarity. And to get that, I need to take way more time than it takes to edit my first picture.

Hence I make room for "margin of error" - like rep factories, maintaining at 80-90% similiarity to the first picture so its in the same "mood" or "colour bracket"..

Im pretty sure its the same case for the rep factories, ESPECIALLY, when they are trying to replicate a metallic paint job... Or a "shifting colour" paint job.. Boy its tricky.

A second example would be repainting your car, despite how similiar it gets, it will never be the same like the original paint. Heck my extra paint that came with the car (BMW) didnt even match exactly the same, and my car is black LOL

zorro-l

Renowned Member
9/2/12
If they don't have the gen to match the colours.. No point in even trying Web or picture based matches... That's why it's taken so long to get a colour match.. Then finding the correct factory for colour match and finish... Good luck.. That's all I can say!!

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
Me GP. Can't wait for JF FC case, ti screws, pusher guards, caseback, end links and 'ceramic' under bezel, crown, pushers!

16224294285_82c6267af3_c.jpg

MADRED7

I'm Pretty Popular
5/5/11
Yours looks gorgeous .... I am so impatiently waiting for JF release but I fear it wont be before CNY

BTW when is CNY?
Dr. Theo

jamztio

I'm Pretty Popular
10/1/12
Yours looks gorgeous .... I am so impatiently waiting for JF release but I fear it wont be before CNY

BTW when is CNY?
Dr. Theo

Thanks :). It's on Feb 19th mate. So get your fix before that guys. Lol

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
After J12 taps the GP franchise, then the Montoya franchise, then the Rubens Barrichello franchise, then what do they have left... V2s of every model they got wrong?

TheDonSL

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/13
Screw Montoya... Yuck lol to each his own... I'll take the RB III when it comes out this month... Hehehe

Status
Not open for further replies.