• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

I must be the most unlucky rep. buyer

ddaddy1982

You're Saying I Can Sell?
9/11/14
After months of research, reading and digging throughout three forums, decided to pull the trigger on two kw pams (382 and 438).
Well, they arrived today; so the bronzo came with the minutes hand popped out, but seems the watch is winding and moving well (seconds and hours hands), so probably an easy fix.
Different story with the 438 ceramic one; all hands in place but, 4-5 minuets after the time is set, but hands (minutes and hours) stop working. This watch also seems to be working as seconds and watch keep turning and ticking.
I assume the first issue is more common but, is there anyone out there that experienced the second one? I would like to hear from you, hopefully you are willing to share.
I am working with the TD, to see what can be done.

I know there are some Canadian, Toronto members, I appreciate if you could recommend some local watch maker. Your PM is appreciated.

Any help, suggestion highly needed and appreciated!

BTW, the watches look stunning .....wish they worked too :)
.d

Dochere2

11/9/14
SC
The 382 indeed should be an easy fix... As to the 438, are the hands touching? Can you set the time, cycling a whole rotation without hesitation or the hands rubbing?

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
I must say, you're taking this very well. Most first time buyers would be threatening lawsuits and PP complaints.

It'll all work out in the end though. Wish I could help but Toronto's a long way.

ddaddy1982

9/11/14
I don't believe the hands are touching or rubbing each other and they seem to be rotating fairly easy. Done few manually revolutions and seems easy going.

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
good luck. I would definitely try to get it fixed locally or by one of our watchsmiths on the site here before shipping back to China though. That's what I would do if it were me.

ddaddy1982

9/11/14
Hey , I understood the tacking risk ...... just hopped for some luck.....I guess not even 50% .....maybe I should try a diffrent hobby, LOL

chris3007

Mythical Poster
24/8/13
I had the same problem with my 438. the reason was the GMT hand has touched the sec hand @9. but its a easy fix with the unscrewed bezel.

Sent from my iPhone 6

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
I had the same problem with my 438. the reason was the GMT hand has touched the sec hand @9. but its a easy fix with the unscrewed bezel.

Sent from my iPhone 6

It was exactly the same with my 441 - the GMT hand has "bulged" surface (dial side) caused by fat drop of luminova. That bottom, otherwise invisible excess load of luminova used to catch seconds hand. Easy fix: unscrew the bezel, lift GMT hand up, close, done.

Anyway, OP's problem with minute and hour hands stopping while seconds remained running shows there is an issue with a clutch. Easy repairable but by watch smith only. No spare parts needed, just some kind of spring needs to be bend more...

ddaddy1982

9/11/14
It was exactly the same with my 441 - the GMT hand has "bulged" surface (dial side) caused by fat drop of luminova. That bottom, otherwise invisible excess load of luminova used to catch seconds hand. Easy fix: unscrew the bezel, lift GMT hand up, close, done.

Anyway, OP's problem with minute and hour hands stopping while seconds remained running shows there is an issue with a clutch. Easy repairable but by watch smith only. No spare parts needed, just some kind of spring needs to be bend more...

Thank you Gents, your explanations make sense.
Hopefully the TD will get back to me in a day or so, with a course of action.
Is the custom for the the TD to share the costs for the repairs? I read some do, some will give you a discount on the next buy, or simple ask to send back.
.d

ukbondraider

20/9/14
TD will ask you to send it back to them at your cost and risk for them to try and repair it. (They cant go back to the factory and ask for an exchange).

1.) You could lose your watch in the post after months of waiting and therefore lose everything. If this occurs dont expect any refund from the TD. The TD discount off the next order you mention will be something silly like USD 20 off, not the price of the watch.

2.). The TD repair will be of variable quality.

3,) They will not cover any part of the cost if you decide to repair it locally.

PolonusTM

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
24/5/10
to sum all up - find local rep friendly watch smith. faster and - at the end - cheaper option. Plus you will need that watch smith in the future :)

When my 299 from H-factory started to show random hangs (while keeping seconds hand working) my watch smith told me he can repair the problem for something like $40 since he has to disassemble most of movement to reach the problematic part (clutch) so he proposed me he can service the movement and repair it for total of $70. So I agreed and glad I did.

ddaddy1982

9/11/14
Thank you, and you were right, this what I was proposed, to ship them back to China. However I decided to take them to a local watch smith and get them fixed.
It will probably cost me more in the end, but by the looks I have no guarantees that sending them back will give me a better product.
Sucks but it is the reality.

Thank you everyone, for willing to help.

Rambo73

10/2/10
Please tell us how much you will pay for the repair
and....please share photo of your 438 , this model shoot me in the heart , bulleye !!
maybe i will pull the trigger soon (by the way , how much you have paid for it ?)

ddaddy1982

9/11/14
....Update as requested.

So, I ended up sending the ceramic 438 back for repair or replace. Could not find a local (Toronto ) watch smith. Shipping from Canada to China is about $70, the only option with tracking and still on transit. My only hope the TD, will be honest and fixed and won't send me back another lemon.

The bronze one, well some one made an attempt to re-attach the minute, but in the process he scratched the crap out of it, bezel, rotor, case ....you name it. And with the first sneeze the minutes hand came off again.
Since the other one was already shipped, I did not want to spend another $70 bucks on shipping. So since it seems that I got hooked on this hobby, I decided to go and buy some tools and attempt a DIY. In the end I am an engineer , so what the heck :). Mean time I am educating myself, on howto's

Spirit still up,
Cheers everyone.

BTW, price was $498 less 10% as I bought 2 watchs

cybee

Legendary Member
Supporter
23/11/06
...., I decided to go and buy some tools and attempt a DIY. In the end I am an engineer , so what the heck :). Mean time I am educating myself, on howto's

Spirit still up,
Cheers everyone.

BTW, price was $498 less 10% as I bought 2 watchs

You have a good attitude. I came into this hobby with the intention that if anything broke I figured I could do it if someone else could and never ever had to send a watch back across the pond. Chin up, you're on the right path.

Stealthy

MULTI ACCOUNT
9/4/13
Mate, I admire how you handle this situation as a first time buyer. Wish you a good journey in this hobby.