• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Why Do You Roll With Reps?

nofitstate

20/7/13
My advice is to go away and buy a couple of $300+ reps then you'll understand why we buy them, even if (myself included) we also own gen.

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL
All joking aside, I do respect the OP's opinion, I just have a different opinion on this, what matters is that he does what pleases him with reps. :)

MrBiscuit

Horology Curious
14/11/14
All joking aside, I do respect the OP's opinion, I just have a different opinion on this, what matters is that he does what pleases him with reps. :)

[emoji5]? like I say I didn't mean to offend anyone with this thread I have never owned a replica watch before, always just reasonably priced genuine like Casio etc.

I find it very interesting but also very confusing being new to the high-end watch replica scene is quite daunting, I thought it was just a matter of picking up a 1:1 copy of a Rolex for about £100 and wearing it out like it was a million dollars.

But after being here for a short time, I realise that there is so much one needs to understand about watches before one can understand replicas.

I am taking to the member sead at the moment about the blue and black bezel Rolex and understand my initial budget of $200 was a bit silly.

I do look forward to owning my own good quality replica soon [emoji111]?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
yep, you're going to need to up your budget a little bit there to get a good quality watch.

Rotador

I'm Pretty Popular
28/9/14
and having a genuine watch doesn't gain you respect. It's your personality, morals and how you conduct yourself in society. What I'm wearing on my wrist does not represent who I am, how I treat people, my personality, and how I conduct myself is what represents me. My watch represents what I like. and I love reps. and am happy to tell people it's a rep too.

That was well said, Egroegart.

Resistor

9/11/14
I like reps because they are a great way to try out a design before spending thousands on a gen, only to not like a physical feature or how the watch looks on the wrist.

Secondly, there are watches I "sort of" like but not enough to drop $3k on the gen. Many $300 reps offer much of the look and feel of the real article, at 10% or less of the cost of a gen. For those pieces which I truly love (or are not accurately replicated, eg Speedmaster Pro, Aerospace, etc), I'll buy the real thing.

Lastly, many of us watch freaks tend to enjoy many different styles of watches and have poor self control regarding buying and selling. It is Much easier to go through $150 - $350 reps than $2000 - $8000 gens.

rolexwatchfan

17/8/13
mOi8Cu9.jpg

IZAAK MADSEN

Resistor

9/11/14
[emoji115] To whoever the hell that guy is, I suppose an engineer who is supporting a family of four on a single income probably *is* considered uneducated and poor.

andman

I'm Pretty Popular
Supporter
Certified
13/11/13
I get headaches form my Gens and my reps....

I can be flippant with my rep purchases and sell them easily without losing a fortune ... something not afforded me with my gens if I make bad decision ...

It it worth the small inconvenience ... hell yes....

Sophiecat

Horology Curious
2/9/14
Q. Why would anyone purchase a Picasso print?

A. The cost of the original is prohibitive, and there is inherent esthetic value to the reproduction.

If you hang a reproduction of a Rembrandt painting in your home for the express purpose of deceiving others - and with the hope of being personally viewed as something you are not - you are an affected and pretentious knob with little self esteem. If, however, you possess and proudly display the artistic work because its form is beautiful, and it genuinely elicits in you happiness, admiration, (perhaps even) wonder, your fulfilling endeavour is worthwhile and, arguably, even noble. Man's interest in, and pursuit of, that which is esthetically pleasing requires no explanation or apology.

rolexwatchfan

17/8/13

A. The cost of the original is prohibitive, and there is inherent esthetic value to the reproduction.

If you hang a reproduction of a Rembrandt painting in your home for the express purpose of deceiving others - and with the hope of being personally viewed as something you are not - you are an affected and pretentious knob with little self esteem. If, however, you possess and proudly display the artistic work because its form is beautiful, and it genuinely elicits in you happiness, admiration, (perhaps even) wonder, your fulfilling endeavour is worthwhile and, arguably, even noble. Man's interest in, and pursuit of, that which is esthetically pleasing requires no explanation or apology.

Great first post! Welcome to RWI!

riker-slow-clap.gif

mclarendude

𝙟𝙚𝙩𝙨𝙥𝙚𝙚𝙙
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Certified
16/2/11
ATL

What a great first post!! Wow! Welcome!!

rsh

3/4/10

Nominate for the "best 1st post from new member" award

egroegart

1/7/13
wow. great first post. Might have to make a new category. We've had a couple great first posters this week.

Thanks Rotador. People that wear reps thinking they are fooling people into thinking they are real and it makes them a higher class makes me puke a little in my mouth. Gen or Rep watch, people see you for who you really are inside.