• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

16613 Case advice

mghm3

Renowned Member
2/3/14
Hello all,
I am about to start a Rolex 16613 build, but I don't have a suitable case for the watch yet. It has a tritium dial, and thus it will need a case with holes. My options right now are to send my current TC case to canada, get it CNC'd for $200, and get it back. This would take a month though, which I don't really want to wait.

I can also buy a case with holes and have it shaped by my watchmaker for $150. This would not take nearly as long.

I prefer this option, so I would like to ask:
What submariner cases with holes would you guys recommend for me to buy for this build? (and from who?)

I am willing to buy a used or new one, don't really care as long as it is in decent condition. I'd prefer for it to be under $100 though (unless it is accurate enough that it won't have to be reshaped. Willing to buy one like that for $200 or so.).

Also, if anyone has a hole case they are willing to sell, send me a message. I'd love to buy one from an RWI member.

ceoCorona

Renowned Member
5/5/13
You're being unrealistic if you think you'll get a gen spec holes case for under a $100. Curt941 has a ST case for sale in the parts boards that's a great base for a lugs hole case. It'll need some work on the lug thickness and crown guards but overall a great base. Gen spec so no worries there.

Other then that your options are a TC case and sending it to a modder for holes. That's your cheapest base case. Sean case is over priced and impossible to source as are a bare wm9 case.

Finding a tt sel bracelet that fits the case is your biggest challenge. Unless you go with a two piece which would also be period correct with a lug holes case. Real gold aftermarket bracelets start at 950+ more for gen gold. Less if you are ok with platted gold.

What specs are you planning on building for your 16613?

ceoCorona

Renowned Member
5/5/13
Curt also has the correct gen clasp for a two piece end link tt bracelet. I'd be sending him a Pm if I were you. Two rare parts up for a fair price. Those parts don't come up often.

mghm3

Renowned Member
2/3/14
Curt also has the correct gen clasp for a two piece end link tt bracelet. I'd be sending him a Pm if I were you. Two rare parts up for a fair price. Those parts don't come up often.
Thank you very much, is there any reason the Gen clasp offered is a better buy than a TC clasp?

My build specs are:
Gen crown (purchased on ebay)
Mymanmatt champagne datewheel (purchased)
Genuine rust dial (purchased)
Genuine bezel insert (purchased)
Aftermarket 18k gold bezel insert (purchased from startime)
Replica sub-c gold plated bracelet I bought on RWG (probably temporary until I have enough for a startime bracelet)
TC gold hands (purchased and aged)
all based on a TC v6 submariner, which is where my case issue comes in.

ceoCorona

Renowned Member
5/5/13
Thank you very much, is there any reason the Gen clasp offered is a better buy than a TC clasp?

My build specs are:
Gen crown (purchased on ebay)
Mymanmatt champagne datewheel (purchased)
Genuine rust dial (purchased)
Genuine bezel insert (purchased)
Aftermarket 18k gold bezel insert (purchased from startime)
Replica sub-c gold plated bracelet I bought on RWG (probably temporary until I have enough for a startime bracelet)
TC gold hands (purchased and aged)
all based on a TC v6 submariner, which is where my case issue comes in.

The gen 93153 clasp has the attached half link with a gold mid link. Go check out this thread. You'll see the small link is gold, a TC clasp won't have that. Depends how picky you want to be.

You know the gold subc bracelet is solid mid links whereas the 16613 has hollow mid links, right? Not to mention I am not even sure the two will mate being their for different watches. 1166XX watch cases are very different from the 166XX case. Both gen and rep. What is the ST bracelet? Real gold mid links or platted and for how much?

ceoCorona

Renowned Member
5/5/13
I also think the ST case with some work is more period correct to a pre- 1995 16613. CGs are shorter. I would rather deal with case thinning to lug hole drilling. Thats my personal opinion.

mghm3

Renowned Member
2/3/14
I also think the ST case with some work is more period correct to a pre- 1995 16613. CGs are shorter. I would rather deal with case thinning to lug hole drilling. Thats my personal opinion.
I know about the solid vs hollow mid links on the watches. hopefully they will mate, but if not it's not the biggest issue if they don't. It was a cheap bracelet.
The startime bracelet is hollow real gold mid links for about 950 in 18k gold and 750 in 14k.

ceoCorona

Renowned Member
5/5/13
I know about the solid vs hollow mid links on the watches. hopefully they will mate, but if not it's not the biggest issue if they don't. It was a cheap bracelet.
The startime bracelet is hollow real gold mid links for about 950 in 18k gold and 750 in 14k.

Stick to 18k gold as that is what Rolex uses in their watches. 18k is richer in color whereas 14k looks washed. Its a much lighter tone.

mghm3

Renowned Member
2/3/14
Stick to 18k gold as that is what Rolex uses in their watches. 18k is richer in color whereas 14k looks washed. Its a much lighter tone.
Thanks for the advice. I probably will never end up getting the bracelet unless I can find a good deal on a used one. It would just make the project way too expensive and have me questioning why I didn't just go for a gen 16613 (dream watch of mine).

Going to try and buy the case from curt.

ceoCorona

Renowned Member
5/5/13
Thanks for the advice. I probably will never end up getting the bracelet unless I can find a good deal on a used one. It would just make the project way too expensive and have me questioning why I didn't just go for a gen 16613 (dream watch of mine).

Going to try and buy the case from curt.

These are not cheap builds by any means. You may also consider the platted WSO 18k version of the bracelet on the 'bay. Its like $300? Endlinks will mate to a TC case and shouldn't be an issue with the ST case.

Yeah that ST case is NICE. No longer being made or sold. Good luck on the build!

Om3ga_guy

Put Some Respect On My Name
28/12/10
Canada

Something people need to keep in mind when they want to drill lug holes is the positioning of the existing holes for the spring bar and where you can align the lug holes into. In most cases when you drill for log holes you're drilling where the existing springbar holes are and as a result you often end up with your lug holes too close to the edges of the lugs. For this reason PB offers a service where he installs fake cosmetic lug holes complete with fake spring bar ends.

If you can find that ST case with lug holes already drilled and the positioning is all confirmed I too would go that route.

ceoCorona

Renowned Member
5/5/13
Not as easy as gold...

Can you say that for fact? No it's speculation. Regardless SS isn't gold and for someone like myself SS won't satisfy the desire for gold. They are apple and oranges. The comparison is irrelevant.

Should you run into stretch after many years of use you can always have that repaired. In fact for $200 you can restore a gold mid link bracelet to mint condition. Google Michael Young.

mghm3

Renowned Member
2/3/14
Please note 18k gold midlinks still have the stretching problem (same on the gen Rolex). I prefer SS all the way.
You don't exactly have a choice though if you're doing a 16613 build...
SS just doesn't belong.