• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Unusual TC 16610 with rare and perfect rehaut!

bc1221

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/4/14
:lol:

It's always funny to me how much we re freaks scrutinize every little detail of a watch.
Nit picking things that can only be seen under a microscope.

I guess thats where the fun is though. If these little flaws didn't exist, we wouldn't have much to talk about.

mrtoulouse

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/5/13
So all TC's are born equal and the purpose of this thread is unknown?

Well say what you want. I have had 20+ TCs and they DO vary immenssely especially in this regard. if you don't see it or care that is SUPER - then you should be happy with most reps, and save some money and time :D

I, however, want to get as close to gen as possible, and think this is the whole point of this hobby.

You guys realize no one will ever look at you watch this closely without opening up the case back?

Lol

With all due respect, this is just not true. Many circles i hang out in, it is common that watches are taken off and passed around for people to see. This does not mean that people carry around a case back opener, but merely that it is part of the social protocol and a fun thing to do since many are interested in watches.

The fact remains that part of the 16610 signature look is the rehaut FRAMING the dial - It does this because you don't just see the top of the rehaut, but some of the sides as well, when looking at the watch face. Again if you don't see it that is fine, but a lot of people - esecially those who have owned/own the gen will notice that something looks different. They might not be able to pinpoint it like we can, but something will look different. Most of the TCs I have had have looked more like the 16800 with its shallow and perpendicular rehaut than the 16610 it tries to mimick:

Which looks quite similar to this TC V6

And both those DO look very different than this gen 16610 - look at how the rehaut frames the dial - much more rehaut visible between dial and insert edge:

Now that is that for the angle of the rehaut. As for the depth you also really REALLY notice the difference when looking down at the watch, or on someone elses arm like here:

which I am sure anyone would have to agree looks a LOT deeper and gives the whole watch a much different look than this TC type 2:

Or this V6

Again some might not care - but if you have handled the gen just a few times, and pay just a bit attention to the over all look of the watch, the gen has the nice framing effect of the dial and just looks DEEP and so wonderful in all its lines, and most TC cases fail to replicate these qualities. Am I being anal? Maybe. Are these subtle details that no one will notice? Well, I for one think that people who know the gen, will see a difference - and this much more than many of the other details we obsess about. :)

beefjerky456

I'm Pretty Popular
4/3/12
So let me rephrase slightly and expand my thinking, unless you sell these regularly and want to bump the price of your sale, or you are so wrapped up in creating a gen, all TC's are pretty much created equal.

mrtoulouse

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/5/13
So let me rephrase slightly and expand my thinking, unless you sell these regularly and want to bump the price of your sale, or you are so wrapped up in creating a gen, all TC's are pretty much created equal.

So we should not discuss differences among batches and interesting variations? You are out of line Mr. and honestly I think you should move on to other threads, if you think this is irrelevant to you - I am sure many members will find this debate interesting and educating. If you don't that is fine, but your insinuations are not appropriate, and honestly I don't know why you are even in this hobby if not for acting in the common goal of getting as close to gen as possible. What the heck else is the point of even having this board, let alone having amazing guys like TC spend so much time getting every little detail right, if we shouldn't even care about them?

If you just want to enjoy the general look and style of a watch, join the homage-communities. As soon as it says a brand name on the dial, I think it is fair to assume that the goal is to approximate the gen counterpart as closely as humanly possible.

beefjerky456

I'm Pretty Popular
4/3/12
Woah there Mr T, please stay calm. As you say we can all have an opinion.

I have followed this thread and the opinions posted plus what I have seen in my two years here led me to my post.

It seems that the very fact there are so many different positions and opinions on this one very small angle of one niche watch, means clarity is nigh on impossible.

Sorry if I touched a nerve, but it was not aimed at anyone, just to further the discussion :)

mrtoulouse

Renowned Member
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
5/5/13
Woah there Mr T, please stay calm. As you say we can all have an opinion.

I have followed this thread and the opinions posted plus what I have seen in my two years here led me to my post.

It seems that the very fact there are so many different positions and opinions on this one very small angle of one niche watch, means clarity is nigh on impossible.

Sorry if I touched a nerve, but it was not aimed at anyone, just to further the discussion :)

Well in that case, my apologies. I guess I took offense in this:

unless you sell these regularly and want to bump the price of your sale

in combination with you already having questioned the entire purpose of the thread.

Of course everyone is entitled to an opinion, but when that opinion is not relating to the topic at hand, but rather (what seems) a bash to me and others who have participated and contributed, I think it had been the better option to move on. Maybe I misunderstood, and if that is the case I am sorry. :) In my world, though, there is no detail in a watch that is not interesting for debate, no matter how hard to clarify or systemize :sofa:

phoey1

Known Member
16/1/11
The rehaut on the V6 looks deep to me. It may not be as slightly "wokky" than v4 but for the price, TC v6 with that KH dial is awesome

UDle4JS.jpg

PLt5fPl.jpg

kelster

Banned member, the goat does not approve
Banned
10/7/06
WM9 V1 , 1,5, Euromariner, PT Supreme, BK SUB cases are made with 2836 in mind = low crown position compared to gen.
starting from WM9 V2 the horizontal crown position is fine.
TC sells updated V3 cases - they fixed the vertical crown position - there are slight differences betw. different CNC runs - but they are marginal - most noticable in his bezels ...

cheers,
Frank

onseki

You're Saying I Can Sell?
23/4/14
Very nice. I'd say just about as perfect as it gets. You dove into some good detail to why exactly it's perfect, which I'm not following 100%, but your passion is evident!

Even among Gens, the renhaut can vary significantly from watch to watch. The crown on this model is exaggerated, or at least it looks that way to me. Is the crown guard slightly slimmer than spec?

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Great comparos there folks. with nice angled macro shots to prove a point ! Like coin collectors, even stamp collectors, we sure as heck all indulge pretty well in this hobby !! It's all in the "look closer, closer, much closer".... [blink eyes] way of enjoyment ! :coffee: ........ ROLEX !

mech500

Mythical Poster
6/4/12
UK
With all due respect, this is just not true. Many circles i hang out in, it is common that watches are taken off and passed around for people to see. This does not mean that people carry around a case back opener, but merely that it is part of the social protocol and a fun thing to do since many are interested in watches.

I know what you mean about the beautiful FRAMING effect on a gen. The gen has a deep submarine hatch look going on which seems impossible to replicate 100%. Having said that even gens have huge variations in rehaut depths and most so called watch "experts" i roll with would probably just put the TC differences down to different CNC gen batches. None of those poor basterds would have sufficient conviction to call me out based on rehaut depth tho.

Btw. Is it conceivable that your touchy feely watch friends would ever want to mess with the crown operation? If they did, it'll be game over when they see the bloody hands spin in the opposite direction. For me this is the biggest outstanding hurdle with TC watches. Once I made the switch to y3135 movements, I simply can't go back to incorrect TC (or ETA based movements). For me a fake watch has to replicate gen FUNCTION as well as look. Otherwise I might as well go back to owning fake watches with faux chrono pushers. No one's ever gonna push them apart from me but doesn't mean it's ok to have a watch with crown/pusher functions not as per gen.

sanankid

I'm Pretty Popular
18/6/11
Fair enough. I dont hang around with gen owners trying to pass off a fake as a gen. Irrelevant point for me. Id simply bring my gen if i were to attend.

arcadia

11/8/11
Bored, I took a quick shot of my old TC case. Is this good enough for you bros? ;)

Mike116

I'm Pretty Popular
20/11/12
Back of beyond
I asked TC a couple of days ago about the diferent Rehaut depths and he explained that different batches he uses can vary slightly from the manufacturer he gets them from. He mentioned he looked at producing the Grail case but they could cost over $500 each and the order would have to be a minimum of 3000 case sets. He also explained that gen cases can vary in a similar way

freddk

You're Saying I Can Sell?
21/8/11
As a huge TC addict I have almost every watch from him in my collection. I agree with mrtoulouse - the old cases have the deepest rehaut...

Here some pics to compare:

d2707a17ea8604e8a8dd091c7858b7d6.jpg

TC V4 vs TC V6

f433914660ccc0f53ba43a8695657ae0.jpg

TC V1 (M-Series) vs TC V4

0fa92c7af098fda232b844d4c7bd11ee.jpg

V1 vs V4 vs V6

75c7ad830f8a89fb214266767f0762d5.jpg

TV LV (type1) vs V4

arcadia

11/8/11
The above photos clearly indicate that V4 is deeper than both M series (yeah I do remember those) and V6.

Ac1013

Renowned Member
Certified
23/3/13
That might be the first batch I v6, the new v6 photo look deep