• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Panerai 292 (Why is there a weird mark on the Panerai dial on the Noob J versions?)

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
Hi,

I'm new to the watch forum and after spending hours reading through the EPIC Reference Pam Review guide, I'm pretty set on buying the black seal radiomir ceramic PAM292.

I'd like to get the super rep version Noob J version, but there seems to be a huge problem. (at least I think it is). The ones that they are selling has this sort of torpedo shaped, or people in a canoe, (not sure what it is) mark on top of the PANERAI words on the dial. I can't find any ones where this is not there and wonder why the manufacturers would do such a thing to such a beautiful watch.

Can anyone please educate me why the mark is there? or where I can purchase one without the mark?

I can see this as a new addiction as I also have my eye on the Fiddy.... and oh my, if they ever produce a super rep version of the one with the blue dials, I'm definitely will be getting that one too.

Experts, please help!

THANKS! :heffalump:

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Oh, lol!

Actually that's the human torpedo called "maiale" (pig) that was used by the italian navy in the 30's.
It's a tribute to the military origin of the Panerai brand, early 2533s and 3646s were worn by the same men that used these torpedoes. :)

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
Hehe OH i see!! that's what everyone means by PIG. Do the gen 292's have this PIG on it? I haven't found any online. Also do you know if there is a Noob J version without the pig?

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
I think there are versions without pig, but I would say not from noob.
Also, I'm not sure if the gen was offered with or without pig or if it was a matter of production years...

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
All of the J series have the pig. There is a K version without it, but the location of the PANERAI printing is too low, as if the pig was still there. There are some later K series with the PANERAI print a little higher, but if you look up ALE's diagrams, it is still not 100% on alignment. My advice is to embrace the pig and go with the J ...

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
As above said the PIG of human torpedo is embossed in all dials gen and reps of J-series
Other series have no PIG
But the Noob reps without PIG have inaccurate position of the inscription PANERAI even with the last version slightly improved

J-series Noob is the way to go (it always has a PIG)

ALE

psychom3

Renowned Member
3/3/09
^ I agree the 292J are gone and you might be able to find a H factory 292K but even those are pretty rare and pretty much gone. They may be the last of the true ceramic Pam reps...

slaughterer62

Mythical Poster
DO NOT TRADE WITH ME
27/1/13
I have the 292 K without pig. It has very poor AR. But I like it anyhow.

Limztf

13/10/12
Loved my H factory 292 J series..but alas I sold it for a semi grail!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
Hi everyone,

First I'd like to thank everyone for their input as i can see why this forum is a thriving one.

So I'm REALLY close to making my first rep purchase, but there were a couple of people saying that it's hard to find a 292J Noob version, even though some websites said they have them in stock.

I'm confused as to how this usually works, I emailed Intime.co and it's available online and you can purchase, but when I emailed them, they said it was out of stock. Is this how many of the sites are? They tell you that it's in stock but really it is out of stock and maybe you end up waiting a long time for it?

Anyone have any recommendation on which site I should buy it from? I'm looking for the super rep version ala Ale's recommendation .. the 292 J Noob.

Thanks again for the help!

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
I have the 292 K without pig. It has very poor AR. But I like it anyhow.

What is considered "bad" AR?? AR is actually the reason why I stumbled upon this forum in the first place. I was at a rep dealer site and noticed how the watches had a red/blue/colored tint to them, and I thought, this couldn't be right.

I need to do more research! Glad I found you guys.

psychom3

Renowned Member
3/3/09
First you can give up on a new 292J from a dealer, they are gone and from all accounts will not be re-run. There may be some H factory 292K still around but even those will not be easy to find. As I mentioned before the true ceramic PAMs may be gone for good due to the cost to produce vs what people were willing to pay.

Dealers almost always show every watch as in stock, even ones that have not been available for years. The best way is to email them, some are quicker than others to respond or even respond at all, BUT this is no guarantee either. I have had more than one TD say something was in stock and I paid within 10 minutes of their reply only to get an email later that said it was not in stock. This is just part of the game.

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
Damn, that is disheartening to hear. I had my mind set on a ceramic as a daily beater, something that could withstand scratches.

Any well established trusted forum member looking to sell theirs? :p

psychom3

Renowned Member
3/3/09
Any well established trusted forum member looking to sell theirs? :p

Just have to stay on the sales forum. One comes up about once a month, if you would be happy with a K then Supermirrors has some for sale a few weeks ago. Check the TD forum.

PaneraiSwag

Horology Curious
6/10/14
Just have to stay on the sales forum. One comes up about once a month, if you would be happy with a K then Supermirrors has some for sale a few weeks ago. Check the TD forum.

sweet, I think I have my heart set on the J because of Ale. Do transactions amongst members usually go pretty smoothly? Anything I should look out for when purchasing? Sorry I'm very very very very new to the scene.

psychom3

Renowned Member
3/3/09
The vast majority of M2M (member to member) transactions go well, but as with any places buy the seller first, then the watch. Be aware given the nature of the product, especially if Paypal is used for payment, it would not be unusual for a seller to skip a newer member when selling a watch, especially a high demand easy to sell piece. In this environment sellers have to vet their buyers as well.

jackcfk

Known Member
9/9/13
Looked for a Noob J myself, after the one I ordered from Tony of Asian7750 got stolen by customs/postman. 292Js were nowhere to be found...i emailed damn near to 15 TDs in various forums...no one has them. Not even the H-fac ones are available nowadays. Best bet is from Sead, but not sure from which factory.