• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is lume important to you?

Shooboo

Renowned Member
8/9/13
hey mate,

im not sure about others but i know the 15400 angus version has better dials, sheen and Tapisseries compared to the BP version. However the BP version is superlumed. hehe

How many reps with great lume have bad dials?

Luthier

Put Some Respect On My Name
30/9/09
Good point, but lume is still an inherent box on the "checklist" nowadays. I could be drooling on myself at 3AM and still be pissed if I woke up with hangover and no lume.

Yah, it's important. Any new release without superlume is a let down. My V3 Suisse diver.. A let down in that dept. Fake Superluminova, always... a let down.
Bro, do you really think any of rep. factories use Swiss Superluminova??? Show the price of it to any of rep. factories bosses, and he'll get a stroke.

cwazy1

29/2/12
This is a decent comparison photo, but the issue here lies in the fact that many newer reps that have 'superlume' glow equally strong in the beginning, but very quickly fade out..

Its a very subjective thing to try and quantify rep lume, especially since people have no way to testing them out unlike the superluminova chart that most lume guys have seen..

Thought this belongs here: Lumeshot comparison:cool-new:

LumealltaggedIMG_1764.jpg

Bosox

You're Saying I Can Sell?
8/6/11
Lume meant nothing to me until last week when I paid handsomely for a gen UN Blue Sea diver. The lume is very weak and most of my reps put it to shame. My Orange Monster is a torch for less than $200

Shooboo

Renowned Member
8/9/13
maybe ask cwazy to do a lume job =D

Lume meant nothing to me until last week when I paid handsomely for a gen UN Blue Sea diver. The lume is very weak and most of my reps put it to shame. My Orange Monster is a torch for less than $200

TESLA760

Time is Money $$
Patron
Certified
7/2/11
Socal Wine Country
If the GEN counterpart has good lume , I guess I care. But the reality is that many do not. But it's engraved in many people's minds here.

No , I would never let someone ruin my GEN lume. Leave it as is.

cwazy1

29/2/12
Yeah I agree with bmw, I would never try to relume a gen piece unless the lume was flawed in any way.

Alex_P1

I'm Pretty Popular
11/5/12
Lume is important to me, but first and foremost it must be accurately and neatly applied.

I've got a PAM292M from H-factory and the lume is embarrasing. The watch is pretty subtle and the dial looks beautiful, but go anywhere remotely dark and the thing lights up like a Christmas Tree and draws everyone's eye to it!

I find that actually a lot of my reps have lume that is good enough to be read all night, providing you've only just woken up and not looked at anything bright first.

My gen Omega is better than all my reps in terms of consistent light throughout the night though.

gazumi

Renowned Member
21/8/08
Why do people use lumed watches to see the time during the night? Don't you have clocks/iphones etc on the nightstand?

Who really depends on lume that much anyway? Sure, it looks pretty but the novelty wears off pretty quick.

sub4me

Legendary Member
30/4/06
It looks nice and it's nice to have a lumed dial, but its not real important to me in a rep. I wouldn't spend the funds to have it relumed and I agree some gens also have horrible lume. I have a gen Tag Carrera and only the hands are lumed (yes it's supposed to be that way) but it's weird that they don't lume the dial also, makes no sense.

smokiedabong

22/8/12
Why do people use lumed watches to see the time during the night? Don't you have clocks/iphones etc on the nightstand?

Who really depends on lume that much anyway? Sure, it looks pretty but the novelty wears off pretty quick.

It's a lot easier to find your wrist at night compared to an iPhone, pretty hard to misplace it, and who the hell wants a bright iPhone in their face at 3A.M.?
Lume is far from a novelty feature for me. I can tell time at the movies without turning my bright phone on, when returning home from a walk thru the forest at dusk, when going from bright to dark places like entering a pub, the parking lot at night after exiting from a bright place, camping at night, going fishing/hunting, at a concert, taking a shower with the light off.

gazumi

Renowned Member
21/8/08
It's a lot easier to find your wrist at night compared to an iPhone, pretty hard to misplace it, and who the hell wants a bright iPhone in their face at 3A.M.?
Lume is far from a novelty feature for me. I can tell time at the movies without turning my bright phone on, when returning home from a walk thru the forest at dusk, when going from bright to dark places like entering a pub, the parking lot at night after exiting from a bright place, camping at night, going fishing/hunting, at a concert, taking a shower with the light off.

Yes, of course we all sleep with our watches on so we can easily look at the time using lume. How have I managed to go through life and all its related activities up until now without lume that lasts all night and glows like a torch.

By the way, I am wearing a Noob Factory PAM127 today and have watches with superlume etc, so it's not like I don't like lume. I just don't think lume is that important.

kilowattore

Sales Moderator / Section Moderator
Staff member
Moderator Sales
Section Moderator
Certified
11/5/13
Italy
Lume may be useful at times, but let's admit it, its main purpose is the show. It is quite nice seeing it charged and is a good plus on a watch, but could never be the main reason for my choice.

Shooboo

Renowned Member
8/9/13
i just like things that glow i guess :) so yeah my main reason is for show

Luthier

30/9/09
Smokie, why da hell you need to check time, when you do all this shit??? Who cares, at what time you parked your car??? Or entering the pub??? All you have to think at this moment is - not to be hijacked and have enough bucks to buy a beer!!!
Gosh...

tommy_boy

Athletic Supporter
23/4/09
The Evergreen State
Um, lume on your dive watch dial and bezel comes in handy when you need to read it while submerged. The best reason for strong lume that I can think of anyway.

Sent via my handheld computing device.

electric

I'm Pretty Popular
14/11/12
I like it, it's nice to wear an automatic movement and see it in action at night.

D

d4m.test

It´s real fun to read how opinions on this are so divided. I´m from the lume-and toolwatch-division for fun and for practical reasons. Checking time instantly in a split second on the wrist and not somewhere else is something of a reflex, includes while driving or at night.
That´s why I prioritize good readability over beauty, except for special circumstances.
A time-telling device which can´t tell me the time for 34% of the day (without using additional equipment/electricity) is less useful in several occasions simply because of this fact.
It´s related to being independent/prepared (for the unexpected), probably comes from travelling to remote corners far off the grid with failing generators. Obviously I also sleep with the watch on where it belongs, otherwise would have to look/ grab for it - everything else would feel strange.
Funny how we people are different, to each his own.

Luthier

30/9/09
You don't have the clock on your dashboard? Seriously? Update your car. 34% of the day is NIGHT, unless you're moonwalker.