• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Yikes... question about rotor

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Hey guys. I have been "searching" to see what I can find but thought a quick question might be just as easy. Ex2 noob, 2836-2 Asian engine. Was bathing my toddlers and dropped the watch. NOT in the water. Just on the floor. No cracks or damage to the case BUT it feels like the rotor is spinning like crazy now and I can feel it moving on the wrist at even the slightest of movements. I thought "ok I can get used to this, automatic watch and all" but I noticed this morning the watch had stopped. It starts back up no problem with a manual wind however. At this time I am trying to get the case back off using the tape method etc and am hoping to be successful (haven't been yet). Could it be that the rotor is loose? Its spinning like crazy but obviously not winding the watch. Maybe it is spinning in the opposite direction?

I am going to try to find a watch maker/repair place close to where I live (Guelph Ontario Canada) and see what they can find. Would hate to do that though if it is fairly simple (once I get the case back off that is!). Just wondering if any of you guys have ever noticed anything like this or have any tips. Be gentle if this has been mentioned before. I searched... maybe a solitary "link" would suffice!

Thanks in advance!!

Pete

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Without getting the back off it's only speculation. The rotor is pressed onto a bearing which is attached to the winding gears by a screw. More than likely, the rotor has come loose from the bearing. If so, you just need to take off the bearing and carefully re-press the rotor onto it.

Get some duct tape or any very sticky tape and make a ball with the sticky side out. Put the watch head in your palm or on a non marring service and push like hell while you twist. Remember " Lefty loosy, righty tighty". It's worked every time but once for me. Another trick I've heard but never tried is to super glue a nut onto the back of the case and use it to loosen the back. Then use acetone or finger nail polish remove to remove the nut.

The winding module on a 2836 is not very complicated and very easy to figure out how it works or remove it to check for damage.

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
KBH.. thank you. I will try to get the back off and will post a pic if anything looks really weird. Much appreciate the help sir. Straight, concise and to the point!

Cheers

Pete

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Ok so I got the back off. Rotor is attached. No matter which way I spin it it is not moving the gears at all. It is spinning around almost with almost no movement. It almost feels as though it is not connected to anything. It does seem to be rubbing on something though but definitely not winding anything. Should I abort and take it to a watchsmith? Im just nervous about wearing it if it is potentially damaging other parts..

At least I confirmed its an Asian 2836-2!

I will post up a pic in a bit. nothing looks out of place though..

Pete

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Don't panic yet. Here's some quick and dirty pictures I just took for you. First is what the rotor looks like when removed. To remove is just to take off the screw in the middle. If you notice the back of the rotor has a gear that transfers the power to the winding gears. It should be stationary, that is not move while attached to the rotor.

Next picture is the rotor while attached to the winding module. When you spin the rotor you should see the gears moving. Those two gears you are seeing are the ones that mesh with the rotor gear to wind the mainspring. One is for wind forward and one is for reverse.

Here's what the top of the winding module looks like, other than this one has a couple of the gears missing. This one's only to give you an idea of whats under the rotor. As stated before, the two missing gears on this module are the two that actually wind the watch from the movement of the rotor. One winds clockwise and the other counter clockwise. One of these meshes with the teeth on the bottom of the rotor.

And last is what the actual winding module looks like from the bottom. I you take off the winding module (3 small screws) you will be able to move the rotor and see whether or not the gears are moving or not. The gold one on the far right is the one that meshes with the rotor.

All in all, it's not very complicated. It's one of the first things I learned how to fix. The two little gears missing on the winding module picture are the ones that often go bad, although I don't think this is your case. The interesting thing is they are only a few dollars apiece. Well worth the price to do the repair yourself, if needed.

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
ok here are some pictures. I have yet to find a screwdriver with a head that is "thin" enough to be able to actually turn the screw in the middle of the rotor. I am at work so I may not be able to go too deep while here. I will go over your pics again when I am home and see what is happening beneath the rotor. Thank you again for everything and for taking the time to help me out.

and just to confirm... this is an Asian 2836 right? lol

Pete...

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Looks like it. There are actually just the two blue screws which hold the auto wind module , not three. Some great help from KBH :) (rep added btw ;) )

I would certainly hazard a guess that the auto wind may of come loose when it fell. It is known that those two blue screws are usually not screwed down that much from the factory.

Haver you checked your crown, and stem that everything still functions ok, can you manual wind?

12072870466_cdb3bde076_b.jpg

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Looks like its probably a clone. You'd need a better close up of the shock system to say for sure. Looks like it's nice and clean and new though. And I'm not seeing anything obvious of why it's not winding. I think when you take the rotor off you'll find the problem though.

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
Thanks Ssteel, and you're right about the two screws. I was going by looking at the parts shown and not at an actual movement. My mistake.

Also from first post: "It starts back up no problem with a manual wind however."

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Yep manual wind seems to work ok. Its running now and all functions seem to be operational through the crown. When I had the back off and was turning the rotor by hand, it seemed to keep wanting to stop in the same position. Like it was hitting some resistance of some sort. Do I need a watch tool kit to get that screw off? I was using a small screw driver (small enough to unscrew a link from the bracelet) but it is still too big for the rotor screw...

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
gotcha. ok I will have to get a set before I can do anything...

thanks for the info re: rep points

Cheers

Pete

SSTEEL

Banned
Banned
30/1/13
Thanks, and you're welcome :) Let us know how you get on when you finally get those screwdrivers.

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
Thanks! Yeah I thought I had small enough screwdrivers but I guess they aren't "precision" enough! Will update when I know more!

P

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
turns out i have precision screwdrivers! rotor off!

freaking a bit.. this is the most i have ever done! lol. reading through your posts now. not sure what i am looking for

Pete

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
ok so i attached the rotor onto the winding gears and it seems to turn them. The two little ones that is.

I'm clenched lol

Pete

KBH

Mythical Poster
1/11/07
First thing is check the gear on the back of the rotor and make sure it's still firmly in place. Then check the teeth on the gears you can see under the winding bridge. Try moving the two gears you see sticking out from under the winding gears and see if they move together. They should also move the larger brass winding gear but it moves so slow that it would be easier at this point to put the rotor back on and then, assuming you see the two reversing gears move with the rotor, keep moving the rotor and make sure the first of the larger brass gears is also moving. You may need to put a small mark on it with a pen to make sure it's moving cause it moves very slowly. If that on moves then you winding bridge is working and in theory your watch should wind.

PeteTO

Renowned Member
14/7/06
ok. i messed up. lol. The two black screws that hold on the auto wind assembly somehow disappeared. Luckily I found one on the floor but am searching like crazy with a flashlight and a magnet (if you can picture it) to try and find the other one. arrrrgh it did appear though that the gears were moving and were slowly moving the larger gold gear. I will get back as soon as I (hopefully) find this other screw. As you know it is tiny! I can't believe i found one!

Worst case scenario can you buy these screws?