• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM505KW questions

rhaykal

Renowned Member
18/8/13
Hi. I just got the PAM505kw in today and let me tell ya its a beautiful watch. (I'll get pics up later on tonight). One question for those who do own it, is the rotor incredible loud on it. Is this something that can be fixed by getting the watch serviced/oiled?

Also, the rep asso strap on it is nice and all but chances are I'm going to want to swap it out with something different down the line. Since the buckle is technically not polished steel or PVD coated steel but has the composite look, what kind of buckle should I use? I know I could just remove the current buckle and place it on another strap but if I choose to leave it on and swap out straps would the polished stainless steel strap look right? or are there any composite buckles that have the same finish as that of the 505?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. and damn this PAM addiction. started with the 111, just got the 505kw, waiting on the 390n (currently in transit) and in the next couple of weeks I'm wanting to order the 000, the 292J (although I doubt I'll be able to track one down), a 243 (if there ends up being another production run of it), and a 210 (if I cant get the 292J)

nalomb

Be Excellent
6/8/12
I would just swap out the buckle -- I don't think you will like the look of mismatched metals, but I can be more particular than most haha. Make sure you use plastic tip screwdrivers as not to damage the coating on the screw head.

The only other option would be to buy a PVD coated tang buckle from Panatime or on the eBay. Wont match, but will be better than steel.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
Hi. I just got the PAM505kw in today and let me tell ya its a beautiful watch. (I'll get pics up later on tonight). One question for those who do own it, is the rotor incredible loud on it. Is this something that can be fixed by getting the watch serviced/oiled?

Also, the rep asso strap on it is nice and all but chances are I'm going to want to swap it out with something different down the line. Since the buckle is technically not polished steel or PVD coated steel but has the composite look, what kind of buckle should I use? I know I could just remove the current buckle and place it on another strap but if I choose to leave it on and swap out straps would the polished stainless steel strap look right? or are there any composite buckles that have the same finish as that of the 505?
Any and all advice is greatly appreciated. and damn this PAM addiction. started with the 111, just got the 505kw, waiting on the 390n (currently in transit) and in the next couple of weeks I'm wanting to order the 000, the 292J (although I doubt I'll be able to track one down), a 243 (if there ends up being another production run of it), and a 210 (if I cant get the 292J)

You mean, the 505kw comes with polished s/s originally?

About loud noise coming from rotor, I do tend to have this loud noise from all my rep. Do you have another auto rep at your home you can compare the sound with ?

rhaykal

Renowned Member
18/8/13
The 505 does not come with a polished buckle. Its a dlc coated composite looking buckle. I'm worried if I can't find another similar buckle ill be forced to use a polished, brushed, or pvd coated buckle that won't look right. Up untilled now I've kept the original rep asso strap on it though.
as for sound of the rotor, I am to understand now that the Seagull movements tend to have a rather loud rotor sound, especially in comparison to 7750 movements. I've just come to accept it. When I do get a chance down the line ill probably send it off to a watchsmith in the US for a good movement cleaning and oiling. Maybe that'll help a bit. I am loving the watch though. Between this and my 292j I've kind of forgotten all my other watches (including my Gen Corum Romulus.....although that did have 5 straight years of wrist time so it deserves a break in the winder)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

ALE7575

Section Mod
Section Moderator
Certified
18/1/11
SS polishe or brushed buckles will not match at all your PAM 505.
You should conserve your current buckle or ask dealer for a black DLC buckle. All good strapmakers have them

ALE

jbis

Looking Around
28/2/13
292J (although I doubt I'll be able to track one down),

Hey Mate,

Just a heads up I was able to get a 292J Noob from kuvarsit.com (Trusted dealer at rwg.bz) a few weeks ago. Love it.

rhaykal

Renowned Member
18/8/13
Hey Mate,

Just a heads up I was able to get a 292J Noob from kuvarsit.com (Trusted dealer at rwg.bz) a few weeks ago. Love it.

I was able to pick one up here in M2M section. Love it so much.

rhaykal

Renowned Member
18/8/13
How many days can one session of full winding lasts ?

I've never really payed attention. I tend to wind it every day. Although the one time I left it it seemed to run 2-3 days

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
I got my 505 from Kuvarsit a couple of weeks ago and it is a real stunner. I have two complaints--both of which I will live with: 1) the power reserve is really bad (I have the 'Seagull' version--which some people on the forum seem to prefer for its reliability). Once it has stopped, I must wind it 25 times or so in the morning, or it will die on my bedside table overnight. 2) the Asso strap isn't as good as the Asso I bought from Puretime for $40--not by a long shot. I can tell it will wear out quickly. Was it worth the price? Absolutely. The watch is gorgeous, and Alen at Kuvarsit was great to deal with. Let's remember: it costs a fraction of the real thing and looks just as good.

rhaykal

Renowned Member
18/8/13
I got my 505 from Kuvarsit a couple of weeks ago and it is a real stunner. I have two complaints--both of which I will live with: 1) the power reserve is really bad (I have the 'Seagull' version--which some people on the forum seem to prefer for its reliability). Once it has stopped, I must wind it 25 times or so in the morning, or it will die on my bedside table overnight. 2) the Asso strap isn't as good as the Asso I bought from Puretime for $40--not by a long shot. I can tell it will wear out quickly. Was it worth the price? Absolutely. The watch is gorgeous, and Alen at Kuvarsit was great to deal with. Let's remember: it costs a fraction of the real thing and looks just as good.

That's weird as I haven't had that issue with my power reserve. Mine goes about 2-3 days on a big wind (ill wind 40-50 times). As for the asso strap I full agree with you. Its kind of a piece of junk in comparison to other rep asso straps. But for me it'll definitely do until I make up my mind on what other strap I want. Enjoy your watch and wear it well

started

Supporter
Certified
11/3/13
That's weird as I haven't had that issue with my power reserve. Mine goes about 2-3 days on a big wind (ill wind 40-50 times). As for the asso strap I full agree with you. Its kind of a piece of junk in comparison to other rep asso straps. But for me it'll definitely do until I make up my mind on what other strap I want. Enjoy your watch and wear it well

i just did a big wind (40x or so) almost two days ago and it's still going after nearly 36 hours. i hope it'll at least make it past the two day mark.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
When you guys said "wind it", do you mean manually hand winding it?
Isn't this 505 supposed to be automatic?

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
Yep, a manual wind--on an automatic. Now you know why we pay a fraction of the cost of the real thing.

Bonesey

Mythical Poster
Advisor
15/1/11
I have the 388 with the same Seagull movement. I give it 5 or so winds to get it going and then if I wear it all day it lasts well into the next day. Yes the rotor is a little bit noisy but not really noticeable on the wrist.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
Yep, a manual wind--on an automatic. Now you know why we pay a fraction of the cost of the real thing.

Seriously, cmon. Our auto is a clone of the real thing. Auto is meant to be auto. I seriously never hand wind all of my auto rep. Just set time, and wear. It works. So why the hassle ?

Unless you are trying to tell me, ie. that is the difference of 7750 and seagull..

nielsen

I'm Pretty Popular
22/1/08
Alen at Kuvarsit would doubtlessly replace it if I sent it back to him, but it's too much hassle for me to bother--despite it obviously being a flaw. My other automatics have lots of power reserve. I never wear the same watch for more than 2-3 anyway, so it really doesn't matter.

Villaines

Known Member
21/5/13
Hi All,
May I ask you where did you get the 505 ? I'm looking for one but Andrew & Angus are OOS :(
Thanks

rhaykal

Renowned Member
18/8/13
Hi All,
May I ask you where did you get the 505 ? I'm looking for one but Andrew & Angus are OOS :(
Thanks

I got mine from Alen (Kurvasit) (not a TD here). I can't speak for his stock but you may want to check him.

Sultan Brunei

I'm Pretty Popular
17/11/12
I tried this model at my local rep dealer.
The strap (asso) feels very stiff, especially at the padded section. Is this normal, or I am just getting bad batch of it ?
Also, the back side where you can find panerai writings etc, really feels cheap (unlike what I heard from some guys here about rep asso strap which have a nice quality)..

Comments ?