• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

Is it stupid...

docpccm

Horology Curious
17/10/13
To buy a backup rep of a rep you love? What do you guys think?

torobravo

Trusted Dealer
Trusted Dealer
2/5/10
Not sure what you mean. If it´s a discontinued model, not a stupid thing. I am trying to get my hands on a Paul Picot, there is no way.

docpccm

Horology Curious
17/10/13
Well I'm new to this and love the rose gold daydate II Rollie and Ryan (intime) has finally found me one and being that it was so hard to get and it's my favorite watch would it be stupid to buy 2 of them?

egroegart

Put Some Respect On My Name
1/7/13
Why was it so hard to find? That watch is on just about every td site imaginable. The only reason I would get a second one is if I thought there was a chance I would lose it. If the movement stops working you can always have it worked on by one of our modders, or just replace the movement, or other parts. It's totally up to you though.

Luthier

30/9/09
If I'd find another IWC Cousteau Divers 2006 - I'd buy it in a heartbeat. Because God knows, what could happen to my Holy Grail watch in the future.

docpccm

Horology Curious
17/10/13
I don't know why it was so hard to find...that's what bothered me! I guess a backup is in my future...

smokiedabong

22/8/12
If you have the money to spare why not. You have insurance for your car, house, phone etc. How do you insure a rep? You buy a second one.
I do have a few backup reps, but they are for my favorite watches that have a really slim chance of a rerun in the future. Your watch is pretty popular, there's a good chance it's gonna be available in the future.

Redmondis

You're Saying I Can Sell?
13/4/13
If you have the money to spare why not. You have insurance for your car, house, phone etc. How do you insure a rep? You buy a second one.
I do have a few backup reps, but they are for my favorite watches that have a really slim chance of a rerun in the future. Your watch is pretty popular, there's a good chance it's gonna be available in the future.
Just make sure to store them in different places in case of burglary, otherwise both go and no insurance can replace out of stock models.

SUMIKITO

Supporter and Senior Purveyor of YouTube News
Supporter
5/4/13
San Marino, California
Spare identical twin watch......

Being a "Rose Gold" plated watch, it would make sense if you have another to replace that plated watch once it starts to peel and fade the plating. With a stainless one, the color will never vary. Wear one everyday, and the spare one on special days. Wipe with a damp bath towel after every use so as not to let your body acids and sweat eat thru the plating and you will extend the case life. :cheers:

wat44

Mythical Poster
20/6/09
You just found a way to double the amount we spend

!!! :lol:

i_like_shiney_things

24/10/13
God damn it... I really don't need any more ways to spend money ;)

I do have reps of my two gen watches however that I wear more than the gens... those I only wear when I'm heading to an important meeting or somewhere people would be able to spot the rep :)

TimeWillTell

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
God damn it... I really don't need any more ways to spend money ;)

I do have reps of my two gen watches however that I wear more than the gens... those I only wear when I'm heading to an important meeting or somewhere people would be able to spot the rep :)
shock me you said they able to spot the reps on your wrist...today's rep is so good, i really doubt anyone even with hawk's eye able to spot a rep in an arm's length! Unless they're the canal street quality reps...

:hehehe:

John

revhrd

5/2/11
I think it's smart, hell I would consider buying three. One as a wearer, one as a backup and another for parts. These new tactics of not selling parts for certain models (HB Diver) are total bs.

i_like_shiney_things

24/10/13
shock me you said they able to spot the reps on your wrist...today's rep is so good, i really doubt anyone even with hawk's eye able to spot a rep in an arm's length! Unless they're the canal street quality reps...

:hehehe:

John

The business meetings I sometimes have to attend, as infrequently as possible, are full of people with far more money than me and a great interest in collecting watches. If they see a nice watch over drinks they're more than likely going to ask you if they can take a look... watches get passed around the table more often than you'd imagine ;)
In that kind of scenario anyone who knows watches well will be able to spot a rep... particularly if it's a display back :thumbsup:

Luthier

30/9/09
I bet they'll praise your "Silix Special" Sub same way they praise a gen. Cuz they know shit about watches, except prices.

i_like_shiney_things

24/10/13
Just because people have money doesn't mean they don't pay attention to what they collect. Do you think someone who collects expensive classic cars doesn't know about them?
Yes some people collect and wear them as status symbols but some people also collect them because they appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship; to ignore that these people exist is a little arrogant ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TimeWillTell

I'm Pretty Popular
10/3/09
Just because people have money doesn't mean they don't pay attention to what they collect. Do you think someone who collects expensive classic cars doesn't know about them?
Yes some people collect and wear them as status symbols but some people also collect them because they appreciate the beauty and craftsmanship; to ignore that these people exist is a little arrogant ;)

yes like what Luth said, they only know basics of the watches like model reference nos and prices. Not so much on technical parts calibre etc..

I would confidently tell you most folks from the gen world would not know as much as the season members here! I know you might find this amusing, but it's true. Cos i was from the gen world, i never learnt so much here than at the gen forums...except vrf/trf. Look at the comparison pics, and studies our fellow gentlemen posted! Just amazing!! :thumbsup:

In fact, they hardly or never even seen a rep before. Some of my friends from the gen world were already infected by me now as we speak Lol...yes totally amazed by the quality of the super reps!

John

i_like_shiney_things

24/10/13
I'm not for a second suggesting they know more than you guys and they certainly never open a watch and tinker with it ;)
I just disagree that all people with money have no clue what they're buying and wouldn't know the difference between a rep and a gen.
It's a great forum and great people... but to put it simply it's unfair to group all people from a certain category together :)