• Tired of adverts on RWI? - Subscribe by clicking HERE and PMing Trailboss for instructions and they will magically go away!

PAM 390 DoA or am I just stupid?

skoner

Known Member
7/7/11
Hi guys.

I just received my first PAM390 N-Maker from Ryan. The watch looks fantastic. I have never had any experience with the Asian UNITAS-6497-2 21600 movement before, but it seems like I can't wind the watch. Everytime I try to do so, the crown just turns itself back from the position I started winding it from. Setting the time works perfectly, and turning the crown the other way also, but like I said; everytime I try to wind it it just resets to it's original position. Can't even move it a bit.

Any tips? Ideas? I have no clue here. Am I just doing it wrong maybe?

Thanks

ikiestik

Renowned Member
8/4/09
Try giving the watch a few light taps face down into your palm the hairspring might be stuck on itself from some dried oil. There a few things it could be. I give no guarantee it will work though

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Clickspring(?) might be stuck. Give it a few slap on the palm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skoner

Known Member
7/7/11
Tried giving it some light taps on the caseback, it helped me be able to wind it like a mm which got the watch forking for like 20 seconds. Thanks for the tips though

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
Got a close up picture of the movement? ( u can open it with a rubber ball or tape)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skoner

Known Member
7/7/11
Caseback is opened! Just give me a minute to upload the photos.

skoner

Known Member
7/7/11
image1_zps5a4cab11.jpeg

image2_zps175229ed.jpeg

th_image_zps8092b6ed.jpeg

Any ideas? Thanks for the help guys.

skoner

Known Member
7/7/11
When I try to wind the crown the wheels are turning like a bit and then just turns back.

ShiroTenshi

Mythical Poster
7/12/11
See pic below, the part the arrow is pointing is suppose to be stopping the barrel from going back while you wind. If that part is stuck, give it a light nudge too see if you can get it back to where it suppose to be.

image1_zpscfc117af.jpeg

skoner

Known Member
7/7/11
Oh I think I understand mate, thank you so much for your help. But exactly how should I give it a nudge? Thing is, I can see that it prevents the weels from "winding" but it's screwed very hard and doesn't seem movable.

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
The click spring has a small pin that should sit in the notch on the click

skoner

Known Member
7/7/11
I can manage to move it abit and make it "click" a couple of times (not enough to get the watch working) but after a few clicks it just locks again

skoner

Known Member
7/7/11
Ok, bad news guys (I think). I released the small arrow and let it "unwind" which made the wheels spin for a while. Apparently, the watch was fully wound. Tried winded it afterwards, worked perfectly but the watch will not run.

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
Back the click screw out a little, I am looking for some pictures to post showing what I mean. Remember 'Lefty Lossy Righty Tighty' turn left to loosen and right to tighten the screw...

marlin2284

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
1/2/12
Ok, bad news guys (I think). I released the small arrow and let it "unwind" which made the wheels spin for a while. Apparently, the watch was fully wound. Tried winded it afterwards, worked perfectly but the watch will not run.
OK obvious it's more than just the click, is the balance free? if you shake the watch does the balance move freely?

skoner

Known Member
7/7/11
OK obvious it's more than just the click, is the balance free? if you shake the watch does the balance move freely?

The balance wheel turns a little to the left and right, yes but it does not spin entirely